• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My long review of the 45mm CrPO (myota) Pic Heavy

kanith

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/2/09
A few days ago I received my 45mm Ceramic Planet Ocean with the Myota movement in the mail. This is my full, and long review:

My first impression was wow, it’s big and heavy. Bigger than I expected. With the metal bracelet it is easily heavier than my Panerai. The dial is very nice and crisp, the light dances off of the beveled surfaces but I don’t get any weird reflections from the numbers like I've seen mentioned in other posts.

face.png

The bezel looks great and is very sturdy. It clicks loudly and authoritatively. The printing is very nice on the smooth ceramic. The pearl is not perfect but what rep pearl is?

The clear AR on the crystal is very good, it looks better in person than in my not very good photos. The crystal on mine is flawless, a gen crystal would be better but not by much.

The bracelet is very nice and sturdy. There is almost no play on it at all. I have an older omega rep and the bracelet of this one is head and shoulders above it in terms of quality. The dive sleeve expander is secure and doesn't pop out like on my old one. The links can be resized by removing one of the very tiny screws on the links and tapping the other side to dislodge the pin that holds links together. The pins themselves are not threaded like on a Rolex they are just held in place by two screws. BE CAREFUL, the screws are tiny, light and very easy to lose. The bracelet and caseback engravings are deep and well done.

back_engraving.jpg

back.jpg

The crown and HE valve are fantastic. The surface has a matte finish, the raised ? and HE are glossy. The crown secures nicely. The date can only be moved up, by turning the crown down. This is actually inaccurate but better than the GEN whose date can only be set by advancing the time forward. The HE valve is so well secured that it is very hard to unscrew. It actually hurt my fingers to start it unscrewing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now about the movement; the myota has a lot of bad press on this forum, with people saying is has a low beat, stuttering and jumping second hand, a loud rotor and no hacking mechanism. Let’s go over each:

Low beat: the myota 8125 runs at 21,600, while the ETA the other factories use beats at 28,800. The Omega 8500 beats at 25,200. There is a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrzw3iAPTo) of both movements side by side and I can’t tell a difference. Honestly the sweep is perfectly fine. If an extra 120 beats per minute is important to you spend the extra $100 and get the noob version.

Stuttering: There is no stuttering when the watch is undergoing normal movements, if I shake the watch vigorously the second hand will stop for a second and then start again.

Loud rotor: If it hold the watch up to my ear and shake it I can hear the rotor. But it is silent on my wrist. The rotor spins in both directions.

No hacking: True it doesn’t hack, this is an inaccuracy. But I’m not planning any heists so I don’t think I’ll be needing the feature anyway.

Honestly I don’t know why people are bothered by the myota so much. It’s a good Japanese movement with a 40 hour power reserve. It is very nicely decorated with a ton of detail. None of the movements are accurate anyway as the Omega 8500 allows you to adjust only the hour hand with the crown in position two.

The lume is nice and bright, although the pictures make it look much brighter than it really is. The green lume on the pearl and minute hand is brighter than the blue lume. It lasts all night long. I checked it in the morning and it was still shining.

013.jpg

Overall it’s a great watch. The fit and finish is fantastic. It is the highest quality and nicest watch I own. Considering it is $110 less than the noob version I highly recommend it.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Thanks for nice review. If I would know bezel won't fade out, I would get it right now.

Ace0nBase

Supporter
15/6/13
Thanks for the review man. I keep going back and forth though I know the 45mm will be too big for my 6.5" wrists. Probably going to bite the bullet and get the 42mm soon.

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
It is, go for 42.

How is the bezel on yours, does it have any play? Or is it perfectly tight?

hotwheels

Renowned Member
22/10/14
Bay Area, California
Thanks for the review man. I keep going back and forth though I know the 45mm will be too big for my 6.5" wrists. Probably going to bite the bullet and get the 42mm soon.

I have the same wrist size and 42mm is perfect fit for me. I do like larger watches too so I wouldn't mind a 45mm but I know for a fact that will be big for my wrist.

Snaaakeey

25/2/14
Uk
You got to remember all the bad repots on this came out on its release when it was the same price as noob. Myota movements are cheap. Very cheap so this model was seen as a bit of a ripoff. A clone 2836 is always going to be considered in a different class of movement and the price reflects that. Now after a year or so it's dropped in price ( quite drastically in some places) it's a great option. The stutter is also a very known quantity. Some have very bad stutters some don't. Very off putting to a prospective buyer. If it isn't a big deal to someone then cool but the rep game tends to be driven by collectors who always want the best/ closest rep to gen which indicates we are picky.

Now it's cheap its the good value proposition but trust me when I say the primary reason they put a myota in there was to make more money per unit ( also is was because the myota is quite thin so they could slap some fake plates on it )

Case/ crystal/ crown/ he/bezel case( not insert) bracelet are all more than likely from the same factory as noob or bp.

One final thing. The reason for the stutter is play in the gear train letting the second hand bounce ( specifically the second drive wheel) all mechanicals give a bit when new. Don't be surprised if the stutter gets worse as it beds in. I have had 2 that started out well. If the hands are big like the POs they tend to bounce. On small hands the movement it perfect. Less inertia from the hand bouncing the play between the gear chain.

I haven't heard if this model will take gen parts. Anyone heard any thing?

Not dissing this baby. Cannot beat it for the money.

juanenk

Horology Curious
14/3/15
I agree with everything but the lume duration. Mine it barely last for a couple of hours...

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I'm one who disagrees with the poor perception of Miyota movements..... I have one in a PO Sochi. YES, if I sit there and stare at the second hand, I can see an occasional stutter. However, then damned thing keeps absolutely PERFECT time. I can go a week or more and it's dead accurate. I'm so happy with it I ordered the Blue Ti version that was just released.

You got to remember all the bad repots on this came out on its release when it was the same price as noob. Myota movements are cheap. Very cheap so this model was seen as a bit of a ripoff. A clone 2836 is always going to be considered in a different class of movement and the price reflects that. Now after a year or so it's dropped in price ( quite drastically in some places) it's a great option. The stutter is also a very known quantity. Some have very bad stutters some don't. Very off putting to a prospective buyer. If it isn't a big deal to someone then cool but the rep game tends to be driven by collectors who always want the best/ closest rep to gen which indicates we are picky.

Now it's cheap its the good value proposition but trust me when I say the primary reason they put a myota in there was to make more money per unit ( also is was because the myota is quite thin so they could slap some fake plates on it )

Case/ crystal/ crown/ he/bezel case( not insert) bracelet are all more than likely from the same factory as noob or bp.

One final thing. The reason for the stutter is play in the gear train letting the second hand bounce ( specifically the second drive wheel) all mechanicals give a bit when new. Don't be surprised if the stutter gets worse as it beds in. I have had 2 that started out well. If the hands are big like the POs they tend to bounce. On small hands the movement it perfect. Less inertia from the hand bouncing the play between the gear chain.

I haven't heard if this model will take gen parts. Anyone heard any thing?

Not dissing this baby. Cannot beat it for the money.