• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the month: October 2014 | James Bond 007 50th Anniversary from Truetime168

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Review Of The Month Project, October 2014

James Bond 007 50th Anniversary from Truetime168

This month I will have to thank our trusted dealer Truetime168 for sending this one as to make the usual monthly review.

The Bond fever continues this month with the James Bond 007 50th Anniversary model. You know I am not a fan of cheapos a21j models but I know a lot of you want to start with a lower grade rep and then proceed to the deeper addiction.

Overall, for the money is a great choice, don’t expect anything extraordinary cause you won’t get it but for a daily beater this is a great choice, especially if you are a 007 fan.

I will start with the dial. 007 pattern for sure looks more vivid on the gen. Happy feet on the omega logo and the datewheel font are the things you will notice at a first glance. Hands are acceptable but they could have been better. Lume isn’t bad but it won’t last for long. Lume markers are fair enough for me.

Bezel… Well the pearl is bad. Typical a21j pearl. Also bezel looks shiny, more like LMPO shine and it had to look like Noob CrPO bezel. The 50 marker is just ok. Gen looks a more sharp. Function is ok, you need a little strength to rotate it around but it feels rock solid, not loose or anything like that.

Crystal is surprisingly good! No blue tint, great AR, non visible at most angles.

Typical a21j movement. I don’t like them but most of the people would agree that they are workhorses. Setting time and date is good, although the seconds hands jump a little bit during the process and the typical noise while you screwing the crown down is one thing also I don’t like.

Turning it back will reveal the bullet, which is way off! It looks like a sticker on the rotor or something like this. Lettering isn’t perfect centered thus you get the idea that when its spinning is making an elliptical orbit. The lines around the bullet are also very shallow and not close to the gen ones. They got the limited edition, the serial and the ant counterfeit globe though pretty well.

Last but not least, the bracelet. Good for a cheapo but average as a quality. Mainly problem is that some inks stuck. Divers’ extension is hard to open, well this isn’t such a big problem since you won’t be afraid the clasp will open at anytime. Clasp engraving is also a laser one. The overall quality I have to say is a lot better than a typical cheapo bracelet, it feels pretty comfortable when it’s on your wrist.

This may not be a super rep, but for the money is a good. I have to say that a21j have been improved since the last time I held one in my hands.

Next month we will be having the last review of the project with a hottie! Stay tuned.

Did I forgot something? Oh, the photos… Here you go!

Kernow

Renowned Member
2/9/13
Good review. I agree with your points as I've had two of these reps (including one cheapie). This one is also missing the 3 o'clock marker which is applied on the more expensive rep.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nice indeed for a cheapie. Thanks to Trutime168 for lending us the watch!