• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the month: August 2014 | Titanium Planet Ocean from Hontwatch

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Review Of The Month Project, August 2014
Omega Titanium Planet Ocean from Hontwatch

This month i have to thank our Trusted Dealer Hontwatch for participating in this project and for sending me this watch to make a review of it!

I really can't understand why this one isn't so popular. Or you just buy it and you don't make reviews of it cause you just staring it :lol:

I have to say this one was a pleasant surprise. Eye catching watch, very light due to titanium with an amazing and comfortable strap. If only it wasn't the in house movement once more...

As usual i will start with the dial. Spot on. Glossy effect, lettering is great, logo is ok, lume markers also,hands are acceptable, datewheel and date window pass the test. I am hurdling to find a mention-able flaw here and i don't want to start nit picking again... Lume is pretty good too. The strong effect doesn't last very much though.

I love the bezel shiny effect. I read some threads about the paint fainting. I can't tell just by looking at it if this will happen, time will tell. Pearl is good, not perfect but i can live with it. I dont know if its the height of the crystal or the bezel/insert construction but you get the idea that the insert looks recessed. That, i don't like it. Function of the bezel is perfect!

Crown and HE valve as usual with the latest omega reps are without problems. The crown needs around 10 turns to screw in. Setting time and date is a piece of cake and generally the movement behavior is very good. Sometimes you can "feel" and hear the rotor spinning but again its me nit picking.

Crystal once more is very good. A very light blue tint in some angles, invisible in some others. No complaints either here.

Regarding the back side, you know the story... Once you look at the movement, well... The good thing is that engravements are great! Anti counterfeit globe is spot one as well as the serial number.

As for the rubber strap, well its amazing. Very comfortable to wear, quality is great and deployment clasp closes and stays closed! No gaps at the case or anything like this...

Overall, a great rep, if the box wasn't full i would get one of these babes cause i liked it very much.

Lets see some pics!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I love this watch and thanks Hont and Mr.Pap for bringing this watch 42mm into the spotlight. Unfortunately I don't have the founds to Franken one of those even if I have 2 gen 8500 moments right now...

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Thanks for the review! Perfect as always! Thanks for reviewing such many in reviewed reps!

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
Very nice....im waiting for my blue 45....btw, mr.pap, isn't this the 45,5mm version ? There is some distance between the date window and the 3 marker... nevermind...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Very nice....im waiting for my blue 45....btw, mr.pap, isn't this the 45,5mm version ? There is some distance between the date window and the 3 marker... nevermind...

Yeap, i totally forgot to change the description... I was going to make for the 42mm initially but it wasn't available at that time.

Thanks for pointing it out!

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Cool never knew this was available in 42mm. Can you get the Ti bracelet for it too in 42?

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

kaniel

Renowned Member
28/10/10
Great review!

Havent seen it in 42mm. Any link please?

And btw... Are these Noob or BP?

farmboy

Known Member
3/8/13
I've got the 42mm version with the bracelet. I do really like this watch. Only problem I would mention is the bezel. My numbers have started to scratch off. I ordered a new insert and a blue strap from Lucy. Still waiting on it to arrive. I'm thinking about applying a clear coat or something to the new insert. I also had to end up taking the outside AR off the crystal. It scratched up pretty bad and I'm not rough with my watches. So I would say those are the 2 weaknesses of this one. Would love to know if any others have experienced this as well.

farmboy

Known Member
3/8/13
Thanks for the review Pap. I am also surprised this is not a more popular model.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Thank you all guys for your nice comments!

Overport

14/2/13
Props to Hontwatch for supporting this. I'd like to learn more and mebbe buy from them but can't get their website to work. Can someone please provide a link?

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks Mr.Pap for the monthly great review, great job and very helpful to the community :)

Props to Hontwatch for supporting this. I'd like to learn more and mebbe buy from them but can't get their website to work. Can someone please provide a link?

Just send a pic of the watch you want to [email protected] :)

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
Got mine today from Ryan. What can i say...it's a beauty ! Very blue, very glossy ! Looks more classy than my black PO.
Unfortunately, the lume intensity is not very high, same level like my black PO from AT-maker. Otherwise its perfect !
2a995486452e4a39607ac1377845ed4c.jpg

4ad94da374dbe9d5798be758bdc6d499.jpg

ce33d86e2b0c7b3ede95760c4067ae83.jpg
d00745a8a6050a20c91369ac61542f16.jpg

srhardy

Horology Curious
21/2/15
LUME brightness seems to be a constant problem with clone watches. Wish OMEGA went to tubes for awesome brightness and just had an awesome service for servicing/replacing every 20 years or so