• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the Silix Economy Planet Ocean (Pumpkin)

cgwozdecky

Looking Around
11/2/13
I'm a long time lurker of this site and, before anything, I've got to say you guys are terrific.

For the last 5 years I've worn a brilliant Chinese replica of a SMP 300m and it finally died on me. I loved that watch and I was hoping to get another but seeing as there are no decent replicas of the watch available I felt I'd give a PO a chance. Instead of ponying up for a quality replica I figured I'd order the cheap one and, if I liked the size and the style, I'd spend more later on. I ordered it last week and it arrived yesterday.

I feel that I should do a respectable write-up with pro's and con's that will help people make a decision on whether or not to go with a cheapie watch like this one. There's lots of ill-will towards this watch and I'd like to put some more information out there. Without further ado:

Silix sells the OME113, an economy watch that is on sale on his. Here is the link to his listing, for reference:

http://silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_231&products_id=3869

Currently it's listed as $35USD but after shipping it ends up around $50USD.

Silix sent me the QA pics 1 day after I made the order, a day after I accepted the watch he sent me shipping info. It took 4 days for the carrier website to display the tracking information on their site but at that point it also became available to view through the Canada Post tracking site which is updated quicker. Same tracking number.

The watch arrived on the 9th day of the process wrapped in bubble wrap which was inside a cardboard box which was shipped in a shipping bag. It was very well protected.

Upon opening the packaging it was clear that the watch bracelet was unwearable. It felt cheap and I immediately replaced it with the replica bracelet from my dead SMP 300m. Both are 20mm and it fit perfectly. Have some pictures!

Pro's:
  • Is a 90% replica of the PO and most people can't tell the difference.
  • I love the textured dial despite it being fantasy.
  • Movement works well and is quiet.
  • No spelling errors on the dial.
  • Movement reacts easily to setting the date and time. Keeps good time. +9 seconds a day, unregulated.
  • Looks great to my eyes and fits my bigger wrist well.

Con's:
  • Lume isn't great. It's about half as bright as my Seiko Monster but it does work.
  • The lume pip is a different color of lume than the indices.
  • The edges on the caseback and along the bezel are sharper than I'm used to. A quick sanding made all the difference.
  • Omega logo has happy feet.
  • Terrible bracelet. My SMP bracelet made it wearable.
  • No AR so everything is pretty reflective.
  • Bezel isn't perfectly aligned but it is close.

All in all, I'm glad I got it. It'll do for $50, especially until I get a better rep (Titanium PO 45mm here I come!) and, assuming the movement doesn't break, it will be a great beater! The PO sure is awful pretty in person. I really did need to see one on my wrist before I could feel confident in the design.

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Well... your first post would be way better, if it would be just short introduction of yourself, not a post with oversized pics of this... "watch".
Seriously? You found "Pro's" there? You have to see good watches, Mr. Gwozdetsky.

cgwozdecky

Looking Around
11/2/13
Well... your first post would be way better, if it would be just short introduction of yourself, not a post with oversized pics of this... "watch".
Seriously? You found "Pro's" there? You have to see good watches, Mr. Gwozdetsky.

Well, I fixed the oversized images! Now they should be clickable thumbnails instead of table-breaking monstrocities!

Honestly, even if the watch is low quality, I think my pictures are pretty good and I've spent $50 USD on worse things.

:D:

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Pictures - yes, watch - no.
And I don't think you ever spent less than $50 on things, that suppose to represent your personality or status.

Pannyforme

Renowned Member
27/8/08
the crystal is a dead giveaway to me..but as long as you're happy , thats all that matters m8!

cgwozdecky

Looking Around
11/2/13
the crystal is a dead giveaway to me..but as long as you're happy , thats all that matters m8!

Yeah, the crystal is pretty average but I am happy for the money. I only got this because I wanted to see if I'd enjoy wearing a PO anywhere near as much as my old SMP. We don't have any AD's near where I live unfortunately so I couldn't try on a gen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
I like that you took the time to actually make a review of a cheapie. a cheapie is something that very few take the time to review, or they decide not to, in order to avoid meanie comments....never the less, we do see lot's of threads similar to "how good is the cheap WE or silix PO", which are threads that are often frowned upon.
now I hardly think it's fair to bully someone that actually posted a usefull reference of such a cheapie, and at the same time bully the next guy asking about the quality of the same watch, which there is no review about....:thinking:

Pictures - yes, watch - no.
And I don't think you ever spent less than $50 on things, that suppose to represent your personality or status.

commmmea ya big duns, you need a hug? :wub:

conger

Horology Curious
21/5/11
Agreed, i feel it is things like this that stop us new guys posting. We can't all have Yodas wisdom as regards watches.

Good post, now i know what a cheapo version is like.

cgwozdecky

Looking Around
11/2/13
I like that you took the time to actually make a review of a cheapie. a cheapie is something that very few take the time to review, or they decide not to, in order to avoid meanie comments....never the less, we do see lot's of threads similar to "how good is the cheap WE or silix PO", which are threads that are often frowned upon.

Thanks. I think the more information that's out there the better this community will be. I say let everyone post threads and pictures of any kind of watch. The more educated people are on their choices the better choices they'll make.

No doubt, the Silix econ PO isn't as good as some of the other reps but it's good enough for $50.