• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Ploprof V2 Review

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
I've been wanting one of these Omega Ploprofs for a long while.

I think the V2 has been out for maybe a year and I haven't yet found a review on one so I thought I'd write out a few of my thoughts on it.

For those of you who are familiar this is a rendition of the 1200m Ploprof.

It's easy to tell the difference between the V1 and V2. The caseback is a 2 piece caseback. Quite a nice design actually as the middle section has notches that fit snugly into the case so that it stays stationary and the top portion screws in providing a nice tight fit.

Also on the V2 the orange aluminum button actually works! This button needs to be engaged in order to turn the bezel.
As for being a diver's watch I think it's kind of awkward to utilize this type of design because it would be a challenge with gloves on to do both things with your right hand while having the watch on your left wrist. It almost feels like it needs 2 hands to perform properly.

I took it apart today as I purchased this one 2nd hand. I cleaned it up a bit and re-silicone'd the seals.

So let's go through it:

1) Movement

The movement on this model is a ETA 2834-2 and runs quite smoothly.

2) Case fit and finish

Quite a smooth finish on the case. I love the matte finish on the case. It's not quite brushed but more of a matte polished that's not shiny. I don't know exactly how to describe it but pictures will do better than my description. The button on this V2 version works and ithe bezelis VERY tight. I was rather impressed by it.

Interestingly inside the bezel notches it is even more matte metal finish and the outside of the bezel notches is shiny and polished.

For those of you who are taking it apart for the first time, don't worry. There is no other mechanism needed to remove to pull the crown. The crown is all one large piece and as soon as you disengage the stem it slides right out no problems. (See the photos below to see what the "Crown" looks like as it's built in with the crownguard.)

3) Inlay

The bezel inlay on this thing looks quite nice. Many have modified it to be more "white" and to have more lume but I'll talk about that later.

4) Crystal

A really clear crystal with a nice AR. I'm not great at being able to tell if there's AR on both sides but it works quite well here!!! There's definitely a layer of AR on the outside.

5) Hands

I love the hands on this guy. The orange hand has a nice shiny aluminum finish to it that is similar to the bezel button. It also goes in smoothly with the word "Seamster" that is in orange as well on the dial.

6) Dial

The dial has a magnificent polished finish to it. Text appears correct to me but I haven't studied it in superb detail. Underneath you see the black dial for the date and that too looks very gen-like in appearance.

7) Lume

Many have spent hundreds of dollars reluming this dial/hands/bezel. Frankly I think it's rockin' already!!! With just a few seconds outside charged it comes in glowing brightly and stays glowing for quite a few hours overnight. I'm sure that the great lume folks out there like Ziggy and Vacuum and PbDad etc could do wonders with it but to be honest. It's already pretty damn good.

8) He Valve

Probably not functioning but hey, it looks good!

9) Bracelet and buckle

So the buckle of this one is where it has the slightest issues. Mine "slips" about 1mm out although after that it's quite tight! That's the only problem honestly and it's one I can live with. The bracelet is pretty good and I had a SuppaMesh on it for quite a while until recently swapping to the rubber today to go out for a run. It feels good honestly on both.

10) Feel

Man this is a big HONKIN' watch!!! It's heavy and heft and demands to be noticed. For those of you who know me, you know I love my 6152/1 and even my 243M quite a bit but can also be caught sporting a Tudor Snowflake or tiny little 28mm Cartier Tank on dressy occassions. This watch dwarfs even my largest watches. As a matter of fact I recall once wearing SDREW'S big vintage Rolex pocketwatch that was converted to a wrist watch and that thing was a big boy... This feels like THAT!

It has lots of wrist presence. Those with wrists under 7" need not apply!!! (only kidding but it will feel weird for our brethren with 6.5" or smaller wrists)

My wrist is around 7.25" to 7.5" and even then it feels quite large.

Conclusion: a stellar well built piece of metal for the price. I'll wear mine at least for a few times this month and maybe move it along to another individual to enjoy.

I have very few "keepers" and as much fun as this one is I think there are many out there that will love it.

Photos:

ETA 2834-2

DSC09214.JPG

Interesting crown/crownguard setup

DSC09215.JPG

Crownguard/crown combo and the 2 piece caseback

DSC09216.JPG

DSC09218.JPG

Beautifully done buckle on suppamesh

DSC09217.JPG

Aluminum orange button! Works!!!

DSC09219.JPG

Great looking dial/hands combo

DSC09220.JPG

Wristie!

DSC09223.JPG

Check out the AR.

DSC09222.JPG

Yawn

Known Member
12/11/12
Nice review, just to add my two cents, V2 has several issues:
1. happy feet
2. cream white hands are suppose to be sliver
3. bezel numbers are suppose to be reflective sliver colour instead of grey colour
4. vanilla flavour rubber strap should be replaced asap!
5. Clasp is poor quality

---
Nevertheless, these issues can be addressed through modding and buying gen clasp. mine is sent to Goin for these mod and will soon be home (6 months in making...)

Savelich

Looking Around
22/1/13
Where did you buy this watch?

Can tou please give me contact insormation for the store you bought it from?

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
1. happy feet
3. bezel numbers are suppose to be reflective sliver colour instead of grey colour
5. Clasp is poor quality

---
Nevertheless, these issues can be addressed through modding and buying gen clasp. mine is sent to Goin for these mod and will soon be home (6 months in making...)

I know i'm late on this one but just wanted to make clear for future readers that ALL this statements are WRONG. The V2 is 99,5% gen like or a Super rep if you like.
Wonder if people really know what are they talking about sometimes.....

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
1. happy feet
5. Clasp is poor quality

---

As lourentgarnier said most of this is incorrect
V2's have
No happy feet
Correct white hands on black face (silver on white face)
Bezel numbers should be bright white but are grey white (easy to fix)
Vanilla, not a major problem (boil the strap)
V1 clasp was crap, most V2's are OK