• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Smart home set up

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I use a Sonos system, second gen Apple TV, iPhone and MacBook Air. I’m wondering if it’s worth investing the money, time and heartache in trying to get another bit of kit to integrate it all. It seems like the technology just isn’t quite there yet wrt integration between systems.

Does anyone have a sweet smart home set up? Like using Siri, google hub, or Alexa to control your tv, stereo, lights, cameras, heating etc? Any tips? I worry even if I poured a lot into it, I really wouldn’t use it that much

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
I have a google nest and smart garage opener. I can control everything with my phone and it's very convenient to use. My next purchase will be video doorbell probably from nest.
In my opinion it's a good investment and overall should add more value to your home.

Reactions: Nivka

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I am not tied into my TV but I control my lights locks cameras hvac all through my smart home AI and I will say... I was able to sort of gradually increase. That it I didn't have to go out and jump in the deep end.

That being said, all the work and money and I think it is more of a pain in the ass sometimes. I end up in screaming matches with Alexa and I am on the verge of tossing her across the room sometimes. I've punched her once or twice as I'm yelling "ALEXA,. TURN LIGHTS ON" because I can say "turn lights on" 20 times and it's like a 30/70 split of whether it works or not.

So... Obviously... Sometimes it takes 40 minutes for me to get the lights on. And needless to say, I'm the only one who can do it as everyone else in the house just hits the switches and doesn't want to bother.

But that being said, I do use it (I only use it) to turn my lights on/off and occasionally something else.

At one point I did have my TV hooked up to my Alexa but it was short-lived because all it really did was turn my TV on (not even off). That's when it was a brand new features though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
I am not tied into my TV but I control my lights locks cameras hvac all through my smart home AI and I will say... I was able to sort of gradually increase. That it I didn't have to go out and jump in the deep end.

That being said, all the work and money and I think it is more of a pain in the ass sometimes. I end up in screaming matches with Alexa and I am on the verge of tossing her across the room sometimes. I've punched her once or twice as I'm yelling "ALEXA,. TURN LIGHTS ON" because I can say "turn lights on" 20 times and it's like a 30/70 split of whether it works or not.

So... Obviously... Sometimes it takes 40 minutes for me to get the lights on. And needless to say, I'm the only one who can do it as everyone else in the house just hits the switches and doesn't want to bother.

But that being said, I do use it (I only use it) to turn my lights on/off and occasionally something else.

At one point I did have my TV hooked up to my Alexa but it was short-lived because all it really did was turn my TV on (not even off). That's when it was a brand new features though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I can relate to the frustration with the irony of technology when it’s supposed to simplify life, but ends up making it so much more complicated.

I ended up getting the google mesh because we needed a new router, and it has the “ok google” feature The kids love it for putting on a timer when they brush their teeth and to play Jono Siwa at full volume. I bought a smart plug that I bought to put the living room lamp on a timer, but that doesn’t even really need a smart hub to operate. I’ve scoured a few forums and reddit, but haven’t been able to find any features or functions that would really make my life any better or easier

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Thanks for that. I can relate to the frustration with the irony of technology when it’s supposed to simplify life, but ends up making it so much more complicated.

I ended up getting the google mesh because we needed a new router, and it has the “ok google” feature The kids love it for putting on a timer when they brush their teeth and to play Jono Siwa at full volume. I bought a smart plug that I bought to put the living room lamp on a timer, but that doesn’t even really need a smart hub to operate. I’ve scoured a few forums and reddit, but haven’t been able to find any features or functions that would really make my life any better or easier

Yeah and it changes too.like with the Alexa, everything worked fine for months and then all of a sudden, it stared with “I’m sorry. Lights has several features”. And I’m over here (often times with people here wondering “what’s the difference between what you said that wasn’t recognized and what you said that was?) saying “Alexa lights off”, “Alexa lights off”, “Alexa, lights off” - the same exact phrase that it recognizes the next time. google is much better listening/understanding.

yeah, all those little skills and features are great. I have a number of them set up from the “party” lights feature, to the “wake” feature (where it gets gradually brighter to match the color of the sunrise), the “help me sleep” function. But I think I use each one a few times. Each skilll, when I learn it, I use it for a week and I don’t think I’ve used a skill other than “find my phone” in a year. I mean it is cool to have although I wish I could switch to “standard” where if I’m going to be away, I can place control at the switches so other people can control it too. But I am sure there are many new ones since I looked last. Let me know if you find any interesting ones.

DoctorGonzo

Horology Curious
19/6/19
I tried many options over the years. My home media is now all either Sonos amp, devialet, or airports connected to Dayton 6-channel amps for in wall speakers that all use AirPlay 2 (devialet awaiting an update). I use nest cameras. I originally went with a zwave system using an Indigo server on a Mac for lighting system. I used homebridge to then connected this zwave system to HomeKit. I had maybe 30 dimmer switches for the lighting in some of the main areas of my home, plus some motorized window coverings and some aeotec sensors that could trigger lighting scenes based on rules I could set. It was great when it worked, but it was a pain to keep it tuned up with software updates. I’m now waiting for better HomeKit options in switches, I feel as an apple user it makes the most sense for lighting. I have ecobee thermostats, the AirPlay2 a/v, and they work flawlessly. I’m hopeful that the HomeKit ecosystem will continue to improve, but so far it has been the most stable.

warchman29

Horology Curious
16/8/16
Full on Amazon integrated - Alexa / smart switches, security cameras and outlets. finishing the basement to incorporate in ceiling speakers that are compatible.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Jeez, you guys have put a lot more thought into it than me. Ive added another smart plug to voice control a bedroom lamp.

Reactions: stufuse

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Mostly Apple gear here and I'm happy that I have just enough automation for the times we live in...more automation = more DIY integration, which I don't think I want to tackle yet.

AppleTV 4K. HomePod and some Philips bulbs are enough for me in terms of integration. I don't mind that my other "smart" devices are separate. My Nest, cameras, and garage doors work well on their own apps, as does my Rachio sprinkler system. To get them all tnegrated is more work than I could teach my family to use easily anyway...

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Mostly Apple gear here and I'm happy that I have just enough automation for the times we live in...more automation = more DIY integration, which I don't think I want to tackle yet.

AppleTV 4K. HomePod and some Philips bulbs are enough for me in terms of integration. I don't mind that my other "smart" devices are separate. My Nest, cameras, and garage doors work well on their own apps, as does my Rachio sprinkler system. To get them all tnegrated is more work than I could teach my family to use easily anyway...

Yeah the more I learn the more I agree with you.

I got an Alexa echo for $10 and boy is it dumb. The google assistant is hands down the best compared to Alexa and Siri