• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hybrid Cars

lethalspectre

Respected Member
19/5/16
Does anyone have a hybrid car on here?
How has it been as far as service/reliability?
I know the gas mileage is great but not sure about the longevity and cost to own.
I am looking at a few Toyotas and maybe Honda as I unfortunately need to say goodbye to my bad ass jeep and drive something more reliable and more realistic.

Omegafan22

26/2/15
You are an American for Petes sake. You have the low (compared to EU) gas prices. You need to drive a SUV made by an American manufacturer. It's horsepower should exceed a power level of 9000 srs while the interior is of a questionable, cheesy quality. Do it. Do it for all man who are forced to drive a emasculated car designed by some lesbian art teacher in her late forties.

Srs I drove a Toyota for a while and they get you were you want to. Do not buy them used as they fall apart once they are 4+ years old just as our once great German rides. Do not buy a 4+ years old BMW as they start to fall apart from this poin. I do not know how you guys call this technique but we call this "geplante obsoleszenz".

lethalspectre

Respected Member
19/5/16
Never heard of Toyotas falling apart after 4 years?????
Everyone I know who owns one has said nothing but good things.
Only complaint is that the paint jobs on the newer ones use a cheap ass paint with poor chemical composition that literally rubs off

ebzen02

Respected Member
12/4/10
Buy FORD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpd2186

Runway Model
5/4/16
No to Honda Civic Hybrid. Bought 2 because got good price. If you do only in town driving, you will wear down hybrid battery pretty quick 60-80,000. If drive freeway for work, will last longer (120) but will still wear down faster than Prius. Go Toyota

Sent from the RWI mobile app

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Um, Toyota? Falling apart?
Na, whatever you can say about Toyota they are well made, honest vehicles.

Not sure I'd be buying a Prius however, the "all of life" (so from being made to being junked) environmental impact is higher than a conventional small car. Those battery packs are a enviro nightmare and as has been mentioned don't last forever and cost an absolute motza to replace. Besides, that as any Southpark fan knows there is a massive smug problem with hybrids.

If you want a small or medium sized car that is kind to the environment as well as being cheap to run and maintain buy a modern turbo diesel and get 4 litres per 100km (almost 50 mpg) in a compact and 7 or so in a medium sedan with very low emissions. I know you Americans look to have something against diesels but a modern diesel car is a good thing and driving one it's hard to tell it's not a petrol turbo under the hood. They don't sound like a diesel any longer either.

And if you really want to see how far diesel has come go take a top of the range Range Rover diesel for a spin. 0-60 in under 5 seconds in a two ton SUV with a seven speed auto so smooth you can't feel it shift unless your foot is on the floor.

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
I love anything Tesla..

And toyotas falling apart!? Like boss says..

A small turbo diesel would be the way to go as well. However, I see you've made your decision already eth the Camry. You can NOT go wrong with that. Just keep up the maintenance, take care of the car and don't drive like a dbag (like Prius owners. Anyone else notice that!?). Protect the paint as well. Do a nice detail a few times a year. Seal it all nice before any harsh season change (winter). I usually seal the car up in late November-early December (around same time I put winters on). And then do a few heavy waxes till April-may when I seal it up again. And make sure you clay it up real good after winter. I see you got a silver, so you'll be covered in little surface rust spots after winter. Any questions, just PM me!! :)
[MENTION=11620]trailboss99[/MENTION] I would take the new RR diesel.. They truly are monsters. But, well I'd rather not combat electrical issues left and right (unless they've improved.. )

D

d4m.test

It doesn´t need to be small, nor slow or hybrid. A second-hand chiptuned 530D Beamer will easily do 44 mpg with 235 HP, 235 km/h max. speed and fast acceleration.
Hybrid still is a novelty and hopelessly overpriced hype until it just becomes a common feature for the masses.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I love anything Tesla..

@trailboss99 I would take the new RR diesel.. They truly are monsters. But, well I'd rather not combat electrical issues left and right (unless they've improved.. )

Oh the Prince of Darkness (ie: Lucas) has well and truly been vanquished mate, all is good now and OMFG do they go! A member here local to me is a dealer so I have had the chance to take one for a real drive and boy oh boy its one hell of a drive. I challenge anyone to tell its a diesel without knowing first and the performance on and off road means that buying the gas guzzling (and more expensive) petrol version is just stupid. Now as always there is no better 4x4 made, any damn where*.

And yes there is Tesla but that 'taint no hybrid which was the subject here.

*Ok there is the 6x6 'Benz but firstly it is a 6x6 and secondly its rare as hen's teeth even in Dubai which is the only place the civilian version is available.

lethalspectre

Respected Member
19/5/16
Um, Toyota? Falling apart?
Na, whatever you can say about Toyota they are well made, honest vehicles.

Not sure I'd be buying a Prius however, the "all of life" (so from being made to being junked) environmental impact is higher than a conventional small car. Those battery packs are a enviro nightmare and as has been mentioned don't last forever and cost an absolute motza to replace. Besides, that as any Southpark fan knows there is a massive smug problem with hybrids.

If you want a small or medium sized car that is kind to the environment as well as being cheap to run and maintain buy a modern turbo diesel and get 4 litres per 100km (almost 50 mpg) in a compact and 7 or so in a medium sedan with very low emissions. I know you Americans look to have something against diesels but a modern diesel car is a good thing and driving one it's hard to tell it's not a petrol turbo under the hood. They don't sound like a diesel any longer either.

And if you really want to see how far diesel has come go take a top of the range Range Rover diesel for a spin. 0-60 in under 5 seconds in a two ton SUV with a seven speed auto so smooth you can't feel it shift unless your foot is on the floor.

God the RR sounds amazing (not rolls royce).
I opted for a Toyota Camry 2012 with only 11,000 miles!
Talked them down to 13k USD and got a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty :)
Here is a pic....

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Oh the Prince of Darkness (ie: Lucas) has well and truly been vanquished mate, all is good now and OMFG do they go! A member here local to me is a dealer so I have had the chance to take one for a real drive and boy oh boy its one hell of a drive. I challenge anyone to tell its a diesel without knowing first and the performance on and off road means that buying the gas guzzling (and more expensive) petrol version is just stupid. Now as always there is no better 4x4 made, any damn where*.

And yes there is Tesla but that 'taint no hybrid which was the subject here.

*Ok there is the 6x6 'Benz but firstly it is a 6x6 and secondly its rare as hen's teeth even in Dubai which is the only place the civilian version is available.

Well tesla isn't a hybrid.. But I'd either go full electric or gas/diesel lol

And speaking of the Benz 6x6.. I have one local. I'll attach a pic! It's fully armored. And I think it's a diplomat judging by the license plate. Anyways..

Really? If those gremlins are gone, then I will have to convince the lady to get that. She wants an X5, but I'd rather have a RR on fleet, just in case she gets herself into a situation. I had a POS discovery when I was 17 and as much as I hated it, it got me out of everything I needed. Almost as good as my old wrangler.. It wouldn't be for a couple years, but I think I can convince her. She loved being in it at the NY auto show. Thanks mate!

Here is the 6x6:

662025b2e3bbceb439f85fab0c8f5f97.jpg
bca923aaa922097727fce457c899c974.jpg

lethalspectre

Respected Member
19/5/16
Well tesla isn't a hybrid.. But I'd either go full electric or gas/diesel lol

And speaking of the Benz 6x6.. I have one local. I'll attach a pic! It's fully armored. And I think it's a diplomat judging by the license plate. Anyways..

Really? If those gremlins are gone, then I will have to convince the lady to get that. She wants an X5, but I'd rather have a RR on fleet, just in case she gets herself into a situation. I had a POS discovery when I was 17 and as much as I hated it, it got me out of everything I needed. Almost as good as my old wrangler.. It wouldn't be for a couple years, but I think I can convince her. She loved being in it at the NY auto show. Thanks mate!

Here is the 6x6:

662025b2e3bbceb439f85fab0c8f5f97.jpg
bca923aaa922097727fce457c899c974.jpg

wow imagine if the nazi's had that back WW2!!!!!

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I love anything Tesla..

And toyotas falling apart!? Like boss says..

A small turbo diesel would be the way to go as well. However, I see you've made your decision already eth the Camry. You can NOT go wrong with that. Just keep up the maintenance, take care of the car and don't drive like a dbag (like Prius owners. Anyone else notice that!?). Protect the paint as well. Do a nice detail a few times a year. Seal it all nice before any harsh season change (winter). I usually seal the car up in late November-early December (around same time I put winters on). And then do a few heavy waxes till April-may when I seal it up again. And make sure you clay it up real good after winter. I see you got a silver, so you'll be covered in little surface rust spots after winter. Any questions, just PM me!! :)
@trailboss99 I would take the new RR diesel.. They truly are monsters. But, well I'd rather not combat electrical issues left and right (unless they've improved.. )

Lol my sister in law has a Prius. I think she thinks it is a bumper car. It has nearly as many bangs as my wife's Audi. I swear they must play with them in a field and hit each other with them when I am not around. I drove the Prius and was not impressed but Anything over 200 bph is rather unusual in Ireland. Most cars are 2 litre Diesels and lower. Hardly anyone sells Petrrol ars here anymore :(. My father in Law has a 2L BMW the stats are just incredible. It will beat the Prius hands down on everything hands down except price.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/bmw/5-series/saloon-2010/520d-(190bhp)-se-4d-step-auto/specs/

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Now that Benz is a real off roader! Ever seen the Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond tales one for a spin in its natural habitat (the desert)?

alfawatch

Getting To Know The Place
7/9/14
Ahem - it's not armored, look at the pillar of the open door :) - The windows too are not armored, here, have a look at my armored Golf, much more stealth, only the light rainbow effect in the windows give it away (as well as the slightly larger black areas around the windows):

3188992446_90f8413b34_z_zpsxki0wiu8.jpg

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Ahem - it's not armored, look at the pillar of the open door :) - The windows too are not armored, here, have a look at my armored Golf, much more stealth, only the light rainbow effect in the windows give it away (as well as the slightly larger black areas around the windows):

3188992446_90f8413b34_z_zpsxki0wiu8.jpg

It is completely possible! The owner or driver had just informed me it was. And seeing the plates (government, exempt, park/do whatever the hell I want in the US plates), it was easy to believe it.. Umm stealth armored Golf.. Where do you live? Lol

Lol my sister in law has a Prius. I think she thinks it is a bumper car. It has nearly as many bangs as my wife's Audi. I swear they must play with them in a field and hit each other with them when I am not around. I drove the Prius and was not impressed but Anything over 200 bph is rather unusual in Ireland. Most cars are 2 litre Diesels and lower. Hardly anyone sells Petrrol ars here anymore :(. My father in Law has a 2L BMW the stats are just incredible. It will beat the Prius hands down on everything hands down except price.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/bmw/5-series/saloon-2010/520d-(190bhp)-se-4d-step-auto/specs/

Mine must fly out to Ireland and use it as a bumper car as well! We've done some performance work to her car, and it was the worst idea ever.. Not only does she now think she drives a RACECAR, she gets pulled over constantly. Women [emoji23]

Now that Benz is a real off roader! Ever seen the Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond tales one for a spin in its natural habitat (the desert)?

Yessir! And the Dubai police pull him over just to look at it! [emoji23] great episode! Well, they all are..

alfawatch

Getting To Know The Place
7/9/14
Interesting - the guy was fibbing about the ability of a six-wheeled G-Wagen - translated to watches that would be like owning a gen IWC tourbillon and pretending there are actually little live gremlins in the mechanism ("look, here, did you see it move, ha, too late, you missed it")?

Err: that is not my car :) mine is an armored Polo, even more stealth. No all jokes aside: this was the armored Golf our beach resort neighbor in Buzios, Rio De Janeiro Brazil drove up in .... this is something I like in Rio and surroundings: the loaded all drive small armored cars, as discreet as possible: too much bling gets you killed when you get out of the car :)

Small Comparison chart between the US and Brazil:

US vs Brazil
Six Wheel G vs Armored Polo
Louboutins vs Havaianas
Rolex vs No watch (now we know why everyone is late at their meetings there)
Biking is fashionable vs Biking will kill you
Gov' Plates will park you anywhere vs 20 Reals will park you anywhere
Fenced Communities vs Fenced Everything with high voltage electricity on the fence
Tesla vs Jabuticaba (if someone presents you with something authentical from Brazil and it's not Jabuticaba they are pulling your leg)
LGBTQI vs Carnaval