• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just 3 miles from Russia-The Diomede Islands

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Most veteran travelers and geographers on the board probably already know this but I found it interesting that the U.S. is only 3 miles from Russia. The Little Diomede Island located in U.S. and the Big Diomede in Russia.

The Little Diomede Island, population around 200 people.

ld_town.jpg

little-diomede-island-1-728.jpg

bering-strait-crossing-proposal-3-638.jpg

124859-004-904DAF30.jpg

Kids of Little Diomede United States.

Little-Diomede-N230I1373V-sepia.jpg

JimLahey

Renowned Member
11/6/15
Thanks for posting this. It is very interesting. I never would of known that.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Look very Inuit ...

Mendota

Respected Member
16/10/08
MN
So does that mean that technically Sarah Palin was correct when she jokingly said that she could look out her window and see Russia right over there?

Ruski91

Respected Member
12/10/12
So does that mean that technically Sarah Palin was correct when she jokingly said that she could look out her window and see Russia right over there?

I was just about to post this - you beat me to it

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06

Yep. Also from the St. Lawrence Island in Alaska the Russian mainland is visible. However as a side note, Bill Clinton cannot view any part of Russia from Little Rock, Arkansas.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Little-Diomede-N230I1373V-sepia.jpg

They are only posing as children. They are actually CIA agents manning the listening station on Inaluk Island.

mrrusty

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
15/3/14
I wonder what their main profession is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I wonder what their main profession is?

The kids ?
Probably playing.......
Unless KBH is right, then its probably spying

mrrusty

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
15/3/14
Nah ya donut. I meant them there people in general on the Island

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Diomede (Inalik) village on the west coast of Little Diomede Island, Alaska. Photo credit
diomede-islandsl-8.jpg

The native village of Little Diomede island. Photo credit
diomede-islandsl-4%25255B6%25255D.jpg

Photo credit
diomede-islandsl-3%25255B6%25255D.jpg

Photo credit
diomede-islandsl-2%25255B2%25255D.jpg

The islands were originally inhabited by Yupik Eskimos as long as 3,000 years ago. The first European to reach the islands was the Russian explorer Semyon Dezhnyov in 1648. Eighty years later, it was re-discovered by the Danish navigator Vitus Bering on August 16, 1728, the day on which the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates the memory of the martyr St. Diomede.
When the United States purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867, it included the Little Diomede. The new boundary was drawn between the two Diomede Islands and the Big Diomede was left to Russia.
While Little Diomede developed into a small community of about 75 individuals, with a church and school, Big Diomede became a Russian military base. After World War II the native population was driven off the island to avoid contacts across the border, and any Little Diomede inhabitants who strayed across the waters too close to Big Diomede where taken captive by the Russians. Today it has no permanent population but it is the site of a Russian weather station and a base of Russian Border guard troops
Little Diomede Eskimos live a subsistence lifestyle, harvesting fish and crab, hunting beluga whales, walrus, seals and polar bears. Most supplies come from an annual barge delivery from the mainland from stores like Wal-Mart. A few residents work for the local government or school. There has been some commercial fishing and mining on the island, but both industries are in decline.

Can you imagine a worse place to live ever!!

mrrusty

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
15/3/14
Erm yes.

Now that's what I call a post reply!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk