• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How are our Australian friends doing?

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Watching crazy news about Australia (not on mainstream aka fake news lol) on even crazier lockdowns 5km radius travel, 2h outdoor time, concentration camps aka detention camps or what they call them Quarantine Hotels being build. People now allowed to live because something that has a 99.997% survival rate. How are you all doing with this? We just had the crazy old man put mandates in vaccines but those lucky for us only mandates and now laws, but thats why we still kept our guns for this scenario. Just wanted to see how are you guys doing and is this true about your land being turned back into a Prison Island. To put things in perspective more than double people die from Starvation that the C-word Virus on this planet each year.

Last edited:

donR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/7/18
Sydney, Australia
Where I am (NSW) we have like 1200-1400 cases per day which is the largest in Australia. Vic has like 450 and the other states WA, Qld, NT, SA, TAS have like virtually none, but most of these states are flipping out due to NSW and VIC. They do a lot of mandatory testing here for occupations, etc., and a lot of people just seem to go down there for the fun of it, even with a few sniffles! However, I think our numbers are nothing like overseas and from when this thing started we've had only like 1000 deaths or so. Remember we have around 25 million people.

Certainly getting a bit over it now going on I think 3 months... really can't remember and no clear future in sight. Although it has given me a little more time though to re-spark the watch hobby and we can still go out and exercise and there still seems to be a lot of people driving around the streets. Most people are wearing masks out doors now but many still don't.

With that said we've had it pretty easy since the start and a lot of us are very lucky as we've been able to maintain our work from home or keep our jobs. However, there are a lot of people who have been out of work for a long time like cafe's, restaurants, hair dressors, fitness centres, pretty much all small retail shops, aside from all the schools still being shut. We still don't really have an airline industry with pretty much all the states not letting each other in without a 2 week quarantine. If you want to come here for a holiday or visit just forget it.

Current push now seems to try and get everyone vaccinated and then maybe let us out a bit.

I think a lot of people here are doing it very tough but they don't call it the nanny country for nothing.

Reactions: EuroTime25

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Rough times here in Melbourne. 6th week of our 6th lockdown. 9pm curfew, 5klm radius and 1 hour exercise allowed each day. We are hoping to have restrictions eased in the nex 2 weeks as we approach 70% 1st vaccination levels….but we are still only at @45% double doses. We shall see what happens in the coming weeks. We still have an element of anti vaxxers which isn’t helping but people are entitled to their self interests I suppose.

in the meantime….. due to so much time at home.. I’ve smashed out like 6 watch purchases. My collection has grown to the point I needed to buy a new watch box to fit everything !!!!

currently hoping to source a Breitling seawolf V2 cobra yellow dial. Fun fun fun !

https://puretimewatch.io/avenger-ii...llow-dial-on-black-rubber-strap-a2824-v2.html

stay safe everyone…..

Reactions: donR

bigugo

Known Member
28/7/21
Australia
Its a totally different picture over here in WA, we have had a couple of lock downs but only for a week max and now are going about our lives as normally as you can expect given that you are not allowed freedom of movement outside of the state for the time being and most likely until April 2022. Everything hinges on vaccination rates and that 70-80% mark which is needed for opening. I'm lucky to work in mining which has kept the economy going strong over here and has meant the unemployment rate is at an all time low and the budget coffers are booming.

Reactions: donR and EuroTime25

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Rough times here in Melbourne. 6th week of our 6th lockdown. 9pm curfew, 5klm radius and 1 hour exercise allowed each day. We are hoping to have restrictions eased in the nex 2 weeks as we approach 70% 1st vaccination levels….but we are still only at @45% double doses. We shall see what happens in the coming weeks. We still have an element of anti vaxxers which isn’t helping but people are entitled to their self interests I suppose.

in the meantime….. due to so much time at home.. I’ve smashed out like 6 watch purchases. My collection has grown to the point I needed to buy a new watch box to fit everything !!!!

currently hoping to source a Breitling seawolf V2 cobra yellow dial. Fun fun fun !

https://puretimewatch.io/avenger-ii...llow-dial-on-black-rubber-strap-a2824-v2.html

stay safe everyone…..

Those AntiVaxxers are looking at science. Israel with 80% or more vaccination rates see a 75-90% Vaccined patients in the hospital. The Vaccine has failed. Even with 100% the virus will not go away as we see here in the states and people I talk to who got the jab got corona soon after. I been going around the USA this whole time bearly wearing a mask during the start of it, now I never wear one and somehow I dodged the bullet each time. Sad here in the states stuff that works like Ivermectine are now prescription only and hard to get. I still think its the pharmaceutical companies who are pushing to get most of their product out before a new vaccine that actually works comes out. I still wont get the vaccine because 99.97% survival rate. Even in the US the ones with strictest policies had the worst numbers. In AZ we been open for a while. Nothing crazy. Yes cases are up because Delta is easily transmissable but deaths are really low compared to when it started. They keep here using words like chances if dying if not vacinated is 25times more that vaccinated. But thats 99.99% survival if vaccinated and 25x of that is still 99.975%. I say let people be free if you want the vaccine get it, if not dont, and if you are scared goong out and catching stay at home. But let the rest live. Hope things get better for you.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Its a totally different picture over here in WA, we have had a couple of lock downs but only for a week max and now are going about our lives as normally as you can expect given that you are not allowed freedom of movement outside of the state for the time being and most likely until April 2022. Everything hinges on vaccination rates and that 70-80% mark which is needed for opening. I'm lucky to work in mining which has kept the economy going strong over here and has meant the unemployment rate is at an all time low and the budget coffers are booming.

Yea AZ opened up 100%. But 80% vaccination rates wont do anything. See my previous post on Israel with 80% vaccinated. Their hospitals are overfilled with 75-90 vaccinated patients. Best was to let the healthy get sick who we know have extremly low chances of dying 99.97% survival rate and for teens its 100% unless they had other morbidity. But if they did that the Antibodies are must stronger in non vaccinated who get the virus. And if enough got it we would get to natrually heard immunity which beats the vaccine one. This vaccine came out too fast with bearly any research just for profit. I think there is a vaccine to come out with plant based who works much safer that Mrna one. I just talk to my nurse friends and they tell me most of their patients are vaccinated not what the news is reporting. And also many are not overfilled too many people say wait times in the ER are extremly short. Guess some hospitals are overfilled so they report only on those.

Reactions: Copterguy

donR

11/7/18
Sydney, Australia
I haven't really looked into vaccination rates vs hospitalisations but what we are being sold here is that if you are vaccinated there is less chance of ending up in hospital or dying. In any case its not hard to get vaccinated here and doesn't cost anything but your time and there is the hope of letting vaccinated people roam free.

However, I'm also concerned that the vaccine might not help as the virus mutates and if hospital numbers stay on the rise they will keep us locked up, at least in the pseduo way they do. It seems to me it is concerns about hospitals being over-run that is the issue and I thought we had a very good health system here in Australia compared with many countries overseas.

Reactions: Teamjlf

donR

11/7/18
Sydney, Australia

stay safe everyone…..
Wow 6 purchases! Show us what you bought. A bit of of shopping therapy is certainly good for the mood! I managed two purchases but still waiting so they don't count yet!

Reactions: Teamjlf

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
I am from Russia, we have different indicators and measures in each of the regions of the country.

In my city, there was a serious blockage more than a year ago, judging by the statistics, there are many cases:
590k in my city and 1900 today, when the population is counted 5-7 million.

At the moment I have been ill and vaccinated after 8 months.

The feeling is specific, on the one hand, the official statistics are terrible, on the other, the city lives as if it all ended long ago, just in some circumstances you need to wear a mask.

In my social circle, probably half had been ill in the first year, more likely even half a year, until now I have not been ill.

Personally, I think of it this way:
Everything may be different, but the vaccine will add some, albeit hypothetical, chances, especially since it is not difficult.
Of course, wearing a mask and distance in public can be annoying, but this is just a requirement of order, which is not difficult for me to follow.
As for the attitude towards the disease itself; I have enough quite scary examples in my environment, I am calm to accept any alignment, but I hope for the best, and if I am mistaken about the seriousness of this, then I am glad to be mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Wow 6 purchases! Show us what you bought. A bit of of shopping therapy is certainly good for the mood! I managed two purchases but still waiting so they don't count yet!

Yeh I don’t know what’s worse… potential Covid infection or the state of my wallet … lol

1. PAM 531 GMT
2. PAM 719 Pole to Pole
3. RD excalibur
4. Omega Speedy Racing
5. IWC annual calendar
6. Sugess Daytona automatic
7. Phylida Deep sea ( awesome this one )

in the mail

Phylida Speedy with the updated female end link bracelet
Sugess ST19 swan neck manual wind chrono

and…..
chasing down one of my faves… Breitling seawolf II cobra yellow dial with red automatic insignia…

1st world covid problems …. Lolololololol.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Australia started out as a prison colony, so they are going back to their roots. What's happening in the US right now is pretty outrageous, but what happens in Australia, where no supreme law exists that guarantees even basic human rights, is beyond comprehension, really.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Australia started out as a prison colony, so they are going back to their roots. What's happening in the US right now is pretty outrageous, but what happens in Australia, where no supreme law exists that guarantees even basic human rights, is beyond comprehension, really.

True. Especially now that they only report cases and not deaths because deaths are extremly low. And keep saying beds are filled when they wont tell you just how many nurses and doctors quit because they dont want to get the shot which is they right. Vaccine is a medical procedure and only thing that you cannot sue the manufacturer if you get hurt as a result of it. Im glad my Governor is smart and is standing up for our rights.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Midnight Rider

Known Member
24/8/20
CONUS
This whole thing is getting out of hand....more and more of a power grab. Give them an inch and will take an infinite distance. I pray it gets better soon.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
This whole thing is getting out of hand....more and more of a power grab. Give them an inch and will take an infinite distance. I pray it gets better soon.

Exactly. I think its for control than actually health. More poeple die from Heart Disease yet they are giving people burgers to get the shot. The governments want full control of its citizens. Thats why guns confiscation was implemented in US, Canada, Australia, UK if the citizens are not armed the goverment can do what ever it wants. Luckly for us the majority didnt fall for it.

Reactions: Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

Known Member
24/8/20
CONUS
I truly believe this will only get worse before it gets better. In the US alone, we are 100% more divided now than we were during the civil war. As an Army veteran, I have seen just how cruel governments can be to their own citizens....for anyone to think that it cannot happen here on our own soil, well...they are delusional. I cannot stress preparedness enough! Everyone must be prepared for just about anything to happen. The next 5 years are going to be crucial to the future of not just the US, but the entire world. Watch your six!

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I am in Texas, just outside of Dallas and so far things here have been relatively calm. We are about 49% fully vaccinated statewide with about 58% receiving at least one of the shots. Texans tend to be a very independent lot and most people here support getting the vacc but also understand and accept if someone does NOT want to be vaxxed. Most people are not wearing masks outside and only don the face diaper in locations were admittance requires a mask. And most places here do not require a mask. The big controversy is the mask mandates for elementary schools - many parents DO NOT support mask mandates and the Governor has said that he will file lawsuits against any schools that absolutely require the mask. Irony is that school age children are the least susceptible to Covid and recover quickly if they do get it. The other thing is our moron President's order to require masks for employers that employ more than 100 people. As I mentioned, Texans are pretty independent folks and don't like somebody (especially a Federal Government run by a doddering imbecile like Joe Biden) dictating what employers must do. Many lawsuits have already been filed. We'll see how things shake out... And the 2022 mid-term elections should be very interesting.

And as a Veteran it does pain me to state the above about the Commander-in-Chief but the obvious cannot be simply overlooked. Our President is unfit for office and everyone knows it. Anyone who chooses to ignore it does so willingly and is simply afraid to proclaim that the emperor has no clothes.

Last edited:

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
There is a subreddit of people who say stupid shit about the vaccine and masks (and usually the president and occasionally about immigrants and minorities).

Then their family members beg for their friends to pray for them in the hospital.

Then they leave their kids without one or both parents.

Would be funny if it weren't so pathetic, selfish and sad.

r/HermanCainAward

Several every day.
a3d669eb7abb750b4bd70cf4795f49ce.jpg
bc1c8405ba0e65effc9910507adcea7c.jpg
352a7cf136e5ec9990e5e68656ab9cb4.jpg
6ab9c5063ca17ad312c6046c549aeaec.jpg
f0f251b4b6be0a895a6baeb8545bc4ad.jpg
538818dc28085c0efcd798086b4a75ec.jpg
54fc3c942f78d4ce32cdcdc571c2b783.jpg
69bd89ff38a015da6af857eceafdabcc.jpg

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Those AntiVaxxers are looking at science. Israel with 80% or more vaccination rates see a 75-90% Vaccined patients in the hospital. The Vaccine has failed.

This generalization is patently false. It's a example of Simpson's paradox which is a statistical anomaly. Put simply Israel has a vaccination rate approaching 80% of the population, So by default the number of people who are vaccinated up in hospital will inevitably go up as a percentage of the whole. What needs to be looked at and what was not as widely published is the fact that if you look at each group individually the vaccinated group is three times less likely to end up in the hospital as the unvaccinated, Also the vaccinated group is an older and sicker population that is susceptible to other diseases and comorbidities as well.

For clarity on, August 15th the number of vaccinated people in Israel who were in the hospital was 515: 301 fully vaccinated and 214 not vaccinated. The rate of hospitalization was 53 for every million people vaccinated versus 164 for every million unvaccinated. Taking the numbers a step further the under 50 age group: 11 people who are fully vaccinated were hospitalized which works out to approximately three per every million citizens versus unvaccinated were 43 people, or 39 for every million citizens.

Ultimately we can get a lone statistical fact to say pretty much anything we want, This is why it's important to look at the larger picture to give a more accurate view of the situation. Yes at it's face value, reading on August 15th that 60% of the hospitalized people in Israel were vaccinated sounds horrific, But once we dive into the data (which unfortunately was not as widespread as the sensational headlines) it shows a much different picture and a much stronger argument for getting vaccinated...

CargonDiez

Horology Curious
9/7/21
Newcastle, Australia
Business as usual for me. I work in local government doing garbage collection. Because everyone is at home they're generating more garbage and we're seeing higher tonnage over the weighbridge. Our LGA is currently in lockdown but everyones still out and about in droves.

​​​​​I miss being able to go to the pub, seeing my parents and my mates but it'll all be done sooner or later.

Still hunting for a Submariner too. ;)

Last edited: