• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hello from the US.

Curtman88

Horology Curious
31/12/20
I found this forum today and it looks really useful. I have been toying with the idea of a rep for a couple years now but have been a little scared. This forum is really great for education on the subject. My latest obsession is the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. I see it on one of the dealers for around $650.00. I also found a used Gen 1989 on Ebay for about $2100.00. Any advice? I am leaning toward the rep but not quite ready to pull the trigger. I have a bonus from work coming in and will make the purchase when that comes in. I also am increasingly interested in Frankens. So many options.
You guys are great!

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome and enjoy your stay. Unfortunately there isn't any excellent replicas of the Speedmaster available, just "okay" ones. There is a Speedmaster thread in the Omega sub-forum with all the information you may need. All the best.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
I found this forum today and it looks really useful. I have been toying with the idea of a rep for a couple years now but have been a little scared. This forum is really great for education on the subject. My latest obsession is the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. I see it on one of the dealers for around $650.00. I also found a used Gen 1989 on Ebay for about $2100.00. Any advice? I am leaning toward the rep but not quite ready to pull the trigger. I have a bonus from work coming in and will make the purchase when that comes in. I also am increasingly interested in Frankens. So many options.
You guys are great!

Hello and :welcome:

Curtman88

Horology Curious
31/12/20
Thanks for the replies and info. I am learning quite a bit on this forum.

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
Welcome Curtman 88, and Happy New Year.

Buy rep or gen, opinions are all over the map. For me, it was a no brainer...I have a pretty nice watch and my bank account didn't take a hit. On the other hand, I have a gen Omega that was not available as a rep.

One of mine is a Planet Ocean with 3 functioning subdials. I also sent it straightaway for service and oiling. Movement A7750. From what I've read, the A7750 is fairly reliable. Do your research on movements. I don't use the chrono often, so I was not going to shell out five figures for a seldom used feature.

See my watch here:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...raph-gen-bezel-insert-on-bracelet?view=stream

If you're not in a hurry, nice pieces come up all the time. I know...I've bought many here on RWI.

Read the subforums for the watch you are interested in, read the classifieds and you'll soon start to recognize reputable sellers and builders. Also, read the commentary within the classified postings. Quite often, good info will pop up.

Another decision you may encounter is whether or not to buy outside of your home country. There are threads on this topic, so you should familiarize yourself with that subject. I've been successful both ways, but there are risks. As an FYI, I was here for almost four years before I bought from a TD. Many nice watches come from members.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Curtman88

Horology Curious
31/12/20
John1 thanks for the info. This is super helpful! I am definitely not in a rush. I will keep watching and learning so that I can at least make a semi-informed decision when I make my first purchase.