• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Saying hello, Want to contribute!

Lovecraftfan

Looking Around
4/8/19
Hi, just familiarizing myself with the forum and the hobby in general. Last year I overpaid for a low quality rep from a scammy site i found by random googling. Got a submariner with a hair on the dial and terribly cheap bracelet. Got scammed out of a further $80 when I believed they would send another...either way I still loved the watch and was curious to know more.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I found this forum, read a lot, got my balls busted a bit in the chat, found a TD (hont) and made a purchase. Didn't have $500 to spend on the noobs and ARFs but just bought another sub for around 230, plus shipping, since this is similar to what I had paid before for the low end rep.

Long story short, the seller was responsive, process was simple and it only took a couple weeks.

The watch has a few issues: it gains about 1 Min every day, the little pearl dots on the 5min positions is off for the 5 0'clock, the date wheel is a little off-center, and the winding is not buttery smooth.

Compared to my first one though, this watch is on another level, the print is much finer, the bracelet clasp is solid and actually has the glidelock adjustment. Case is thinner than my other, and weight is about the same.

I guess I am a collector now!

P.S. Ive got a couple pics, guess those go up in a different place!

Last edited:

Lovecraftfan

Looking Around
4/8/19
Thanks! There is so much I haven't checked out on the forum, looking forward to it! Seems a bit addictive though;}

Nuccio

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/8/19
Glad to meet you. I am also new and had a very similar story. I am still a little uncertain of the quality differences from factory to factory. This forum is very helpful and TDs are the way to go but even so there is siesta so much choice for the same model watch that it’s confusing. I guess, unless someone is intimately knowledgeable about each and ever factory variations, one can only go with the price as an indicator of quality. And that’s always a little scary. Can we assume that a $500 rep is automatically better (whatever that means) than a $200 rep ?
I am still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
A little advice for both of the new people in this thread. When making a purchase from someone in china especially for several hundred dollars it will cause you some anxiety. Just know that the official dealers that are here are here for a reason. They have been vetted and hundreds or thousands of people have purchased from them many times. Remember that it will likely take weeks to get your watch but everything usually goes smoothly and there is not a lot to worry about.

Reactions: P@t and Raddave

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Can we assume that a $500 rep is automatically better (whatever that means) than a $200 rep ?
I am still learning.

Learning here is easy: Read, read, read. Price is one thing, quality is another (it's entirely in the eye of the beholder!)

Just speaking as a member here for ten years, I'd NEVER spend $500 for a rep. But that's just one guy's opinion.