• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hello from Singapore!

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
Definitely will have to, the descriptions on the pages are not helpful at all.

My buying process requires a lot of homework. I find a link on one of the larger TD's with a website, I make sure the factory is one of the well known factories. I gather photos of Gen's to compare. Then I search RWI for info and threads. I always spend $300 plus for the watches. I also look at the NWBIG list. I have purchased more than 60 watches since I joined with only 2 disappointments. because I didn't follow my own rules. Both were from a small unknown factory. Anytime a new version of one of the popular watches is released there is always a thread comparing the watch pointing out the flaws. Sometime major sometimes minor. If you stay with the good quality watches nobody can tell the watch is a rep. Most people don't even know the name of the watch other than Rolex.

Enjoy your time here and have fun.

juggernaught09

Horology Curious
9/6/18
Openly overheard my boss on the phone the other day discussing reps. I wonder if he's on here too.

neeeechlas

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Singapore very small. Just see what Watch he wear can already. If ap or Daytona confirm is from here! Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
Nothing less than a PAM 111 will do for a first rep. Going with chazingtime because he's based in Singapore as well. Its easier for me to make payments.

I'm also eyeing an À Lange and Sonhe Datograph. Notwithstanding the multiple flaws on it, it still looks really gorgeous.

Link: https://puretime.io/watch-brands/a-l...lack-dial.html

Can anyone shed light on the best version albeit inaccurate datograph? Gonna do my research right after typing this reply.

I bought the Rose Gold version or the Datograph with a real croc strap. Rep straps are always less than stellar. Here is the link to my pics. The watch is very nice.
https://imgur.com/a/uGA5M6p

virileblood

Looking Around
15/6/18
Hello Buddy, I am new from Singapore too! Awesome to find a fellow Singaporean around here

juggernaught09

Horology Curious
9/6/18
Thank you all.

Tkingjr, your insights have been very helpful indeed. I'm gonna stick to the nwbig list but the datograph is simply too gorgeous even with all its flaws.

My boss switches watches ever so often but he has like five ferraris so I can't tell when he's wearing a rep or a gen. Granted I usually have less than a minute to stare at what he's wearing so unless there's a big tell, it's impossible to know.

zexynova

Renowned Member
27/12/15
Thank you all.

Tkingjr, your insights have been very helpful indeed. I'm gonna stick to the nwbig list but the datograph is simply too gorgeous even with all its flaws.

My boss switches watches ever so often but he has like five ferraris so I can't tell when he's wearing a rep or a gen. Granted I usually have less than a minute to stare at what he's wearing so unless there's a big tell, it's impossible to know.

well...if he has five ferraris, chances are its GEN. hahaha.....its not cheap to own 5 ferraris in our small island

but then again, I know some people that are very HIGH SES, who also buy REP. because they see no point in buying GEN. some of them wear rep belts, wallets, shoes. because they cant be bothered putting that money in something that will eventually be worn out. they all put that into property or investments.

juggernaught09

Horology Curious
9/6/18
well...if he has five ferraris, chances are its GEN. hahaha.....its not cheap to own 5 ferraris in our small island

but then again, I know some people that are very HIGH SES, who also buy REP. because they see no point in buying GEN. some of them wear rep belts, wallets, shoes. because they cant be bothered putting that money in something that will eventually be worn out. they all put that into property or investments.

Well this is the same boss discussing over the phone with his friends about the best reps to get.

​​​And about how to get the reps from China and never to use tabao.

zexynova

Renowned Member
27/12/15
wah....hahaha. maybe thats why he saved on the watches to buy his cars/house ?

zexynova

Renowned Member
27/12/15
Yeah. .. Intro him RWI.... Once you on here.. .You will doubt every single wrist that you come across if it's Gen.... Hahaha