• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How long do they last??

Cobraterminator

Horology Curious
4/8/21
Canada
Newbie questions on reps. How long can these watches last movement wise ??? I love my new reps and would like to know what I can expect I'm very carefully with them . I have in watch winders etc... thx

karsten69

Horology Curious
12/9/21
EU
It's mostly about chance/luck. It is depending on how it was assembled at the factory.
Some insist on getting them serviced immediately, some just run them until they die, and then service/repair.
Depending on which reps you have, it might even be cheaper to get a new one.

Personally I wouldn't keep them in a winder, unless you have a lot of complications that take ages to set. It can wear them down faster.
But again, personal preference.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Known ticking time bomb movements and budget reps aside, the so called 1:1 quality reps are reliable enough these days.

If you buy enough watches, you’re bound to come across a lemon once in a while (ie something that breaks in week 1 and requires sending off for repair).

however I wouldn’t stress too much about what could happen and could not happen.

Just wear and enjoy your watches and when it’s time for a service/repair, send them to a forum watchmaker.

If you’re careful with your watches, operate them correctly, read up on the known issues with that particular rep, then you should be fine. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Be careful with it just like you would a genuine, service as needed and most will last decades. The problem is potentially the superclone movement that doesn't have good compatibility with genuine movements for parts if it breaks and as said,known time bomb movements.

Reactions: P..DR..D

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
It's mostly about chance/luck. It is depending on how it was assembled at the factory.
Some insist on getting them serviced immediately, some just run them until they die, and then service/repair.
Depending on which reps you have, it might even be cheaper to get a new one.

Personally I wouldn't keep them in a winder, unless you have a lot of complications that take ages to set. It can wear them down faster.
But again, personal preference.

Has anybody posted saying their rep died most likely due to winder movement? I get how it could wear them down faster, but does it? If you don’t start with a lemon initially, does the winder really make that much of a difference?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Has anybody posted saying their rep died most likely due to winder movement? I get how it could wear them down faster, but does it? If you don’t start with a lemon initially, does the winder really make that much of a difference?

Are you referring to winding the watch by the crown? I always fully wind my watches (roughly 40-60 winds) when I set the time. Never had a failure due to that. Most common issue I've had was reversing wheels in the autowind failing.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
I think he is talking about a watch winder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

karsten69

Horology Curious
12/9/21
EU

I meant if OP was planning on keeping the watch in a winder as he mentions. If the watch is not oiled correctly (or as in a lot of cases not at all) it would wear it down faster if it's running while not on the wrist and in "use". I didn't mean it would brake, but since he was asking how long they last, I figured he was interested in keeping them running for as many years as possible ;)
It was also advice in case he wasn't planning on getting it serviced right away. Getting them serviced could in all likelihood make them almost as reliable as gen.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I have several reps from last 15-16 years that haven't been serviced that are running strong. I only had to service 1 and 1 that needed a reverse wheel oiling done. Unless you have reps with known problematic movements, they should last many many many years.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I think he is talking about a watch winder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Never considered that. I use a winder for the ones currently in rotation. Some are almost always in rotation so I've got a couple that have been running almost non stop for several years.

Reactions: leo6929

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
[mention]sukwonee [/mention] What’s your take on this winder issue?
I initially bought a watch box with four winders and have never taken them to service, at three now with a fourth coming. After reading through this thread, I have turned the power off to the box.

You’re saying most of your reps have been properly oiled, and have lasted for a while? So winding them automatically shouldn’t be an issue? I would like to keep winding them tbh.

These are all purchased in the last two months as well, so new reps.

Cheers

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Now if you’ve got a shit movement with an inherent issue (eg lack of oil or defective part), it’s gonna break sooner or later regardless of whether it’s on a winder or on your wrist.

Ok, a winder in theory increases wear - but assuming there aren’t any inherent issues with the movements, then the wear induced by a winder (or wearing on the wrist daily), is very very slow and it’ll take years and years and years to reach failure. Daily wear helps distribute the oils.

......whereas if your setting the time/date, winding, unscrewing/screwing the crown multiple times a week....you could break the stem/winding gear/crown in a matter of seconds. I’ve done it a few times now.

In my experience, a watch worn daily on the wrist, rarely breaks on me. It’s the ones I haven’t worn for a while, that go bang when I try to unscrew the crown and wind it, after it’s been in the box for a while.

A good winder should have long rest periods, to mimic light daily wear on the wrist, and long static rest periods at night.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
[mention]mech500 [/mention] Thank you for the insight, makes me feel a lot better about my winder. Will be plugging it back in, I have the lowest setting on it now with 3 hours winding and 9 hours rest intervals. Rotating clockwise and counter.

Cheers man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobraterminator

Horology Curious
4/8/21
Canada
Since I posted this I've been reading and reading lol!!! I now put in winder and rotate the watches and leave them stangenet for a day or to then pit back on . Always on lowest setting..

karsten69

Horology Curious
12/9/21
EU
......whereas if your setting the time/date, winding, unscrewing/screwing the crown multiple times a week....you could break the stem/winding gear/crown in a matter of seconds. I’ve done it a few times now.

Very good point! You have changed my mind on this, thanks!
I have never had issues like you are describing as I am lucky and very careful (and know how to best change dates etc. according to movement), but I can definitely see the risk.

Rohlex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/4/20
When you buy a used car you don't only ask how reliable it is you also ask how cheap or easy is it to repair said vehicle.

So where I'm going with this is, If you're getting some open case-back decorated watch with many functions be it chronograph or date and day etc etc,
they're going to not only be trickier to repair but also harder to replace,

But I mean if you get a basic run of the mill lets say ZF bb58 if the movement breaks I think you can even buy a Swiss ETA
and pop that in with some ease (or just buy any other china decent alternative) and it's like you still didn't lose 80% of the watch.

So if you're very worried about movement health in the long run It doesn't hurt to review the options in the worst case scenario,
But as many have told you These watches tend to run fine regardless and some here even fix them in bad situations.