• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking to purchase my first rep. Any of these stick out as good/bad choices?

kingrbt5

Horology Curious
19/8/20
I am new here and spent hours trying to figure out how to buy a Watch?.
i want to look a catalog with models and prices.
i just want to buy some WATCHES
Thanks

my reference

Last edited:

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
So essentially, an option is to buy the cheaper rep with the asian movement, then buy the swiss movement separately, and have somebody swap them out for a fee.

Description of the swiss movement from above listing: "Nickle Plated Swiss Eta 2836, Bridges Modded to 3135 Appearance, Corte de Geneve Design Bridges, Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph,"

Buying "gen" ETA movement is also a lottery - ETA movements in the market available for purchase are not exactly of the same caliber it provided to Swiss brands. Unless you have a trustworthy long-term watch maker that can source good ETAs, this is not worth the cost/hassle.

Personal view is that I try to keep my reps total cost in the $500 range, and move on to another make/model if the movement ever die on me (or sell as parts to salvage some cost if it is a good one). I'm not buying reps to last a lifetime. For those I really really love and keep come back to wear over the years I just go get a gen (used/grey market) from a reputable dealer. Otherwise I have too many watches and too little time.

Unless you consider the rep game/watch building as a hobby, it doesn't make sense to over-spend on any rep (swapping any gen parts/movement). Most of the people around you won't be able to tell a rep from a gen with the better high-end reps these days, and for those who really can call you out will be knowledgeable to tell its a rep anyway except maybe the most extreme franken that have almost everything gen....

Dez275

Horology Curious
1/10/20
So essentially, an option is to buy the cheaper rep with the asian movement, then buy the swiss movement separately, and have somebody swap them out for a fee.

Description of the swiss movement from above listing: "Nickle Plated Swiss Eta 2836, Bridges Modded to 3135 Appearance, Corte de Geneve Design Bridges, Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph,"

I agree thats the best route.