• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS3235 stopped working after 2 months

Glidelock

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/1/21
Hey guys,

unfortunately my 2 month old VSF Datejust isn't working anymore.

It all started yesterday when I was about to set the time.
I screwed out the crown and tried to get it into the third position to set the time.
The first thing I noticed is that my crown doesn't snap into any fixed positions anymore.
It is easy movable between the first and the second position in a fluid motion.
Unfortunately I'm not able to pull it any further to the third position to set the time.
The watch was still running fine at this point of time.

Today the movement stopped completely.
It seems like manual and auto winding is also not working anymore.

Does one of you have any ideas what could be wrong based on the symptoms I have described? I haven't been able to remove the caseback yet. I'm missing the right tools.

I'm currently searching for a watch smith in my area since I don't have any experience with watch repairing. But I have a hard time finding one which accepts contracts without long waiting times. If there is a simple solution for this I might try it myself.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sounds to me like the little washer on top of your intermediate winding wheel has become misshapen and maybe folded over onto itself. This would cause both your symptoms.

My VSF 126610 stopped winding, and after troubleshooting the cause I found the issue to be that washer. I made a new washer which fixed my issue but you can buy the gen part and have it replaced. It's easy to get to, the movement doesn't even need to come out of the case. The train bridge has to be removed (3 screws), swap in the gen part and done.

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about.

ZxwQ9L.jpg

ZxwBKQ.jpg

ZxwrNS.jpg

Zxw8BW.jpg

Making new washer
ZXNwe4.jpg

ZXNd0j.jpg

ZXNQHL.jpg

New washer installed
ZXfAlt.jpg

Gen part
ZXN9CJ.jpg

Last edited:

Glidelock

21/1/21
Thank you both of you KJ2020 tripdog

I will keep looking for a watch smith in my region. I think I do not dare to do it myself yet
At least now I know that it will probably not be so expensive.

I found the gen part online for EUR 45 which I think is OK.
I doubt that the washer is also available as a standalone?

I hope it doesn't happen to my VSF 126610 aswell.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you both of you KJ2020 tripdog

I will keep looking for a watch smith in my region. I think I do not dare to do it myself yet
At least now I know that it will probably not be so expensive.

I found the gen part online for EUR 45 which I think is OK.
I doubt that the washer is also available as a standalone?

I hope it doesn't happen to my VSF 126610 aswell.

I looked extensively for a spring washer online before making one. The smallest one I could find had a center hole of 2.5mm, which is larger than the whole washer being used. The price for that gen part is very reasonable.

I am very surprised there are not many more of these failures, and there probably will be. The rep part is 0.03mm thick, just slightly thicker than a copper dial washer. It's junk. My replacement came from much stiffer metal stock at 0.15mm. I had to sand it down to about 0.10 IIRC because if it's too thick the wheel shaft can't move up far enough, which is what lets the stem move to position 3.

Glidelock

21/1/21
The smallest one I could find had a center hole of 2.5mm, which is larger than the whole washer being used

The smallest one I could find online is 1.3mm center hole and 3mm overall size but that should still be too big from what you wrote, right?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The smallest one I could find online is 1.3mm center hole and 3mm overall size but that should still be too big from what you wrote, right?

It needs to be a spring washer, not just a washer. It pushes the part away from the underside of the train bridge when the stem is returned from position 3. This allows its gear wheel to engage the gear on the yoke for sliding pinion (the part below it). From memory, my replacement part was ~2.2mm OD and 1.1mm ID. The original ID was ~ 0.7mm and I thought about detaching the shaft from the gear to replace the washer inside of the shaft end but once the train bridge is back on it can't go anywhere laterally.

Here are some more pics, including the underside of the train bridge and a circlip I also tried. That actually worked but I was afraid it would work its way loose due to the open end. Plus it had a weak section opposite the open end that would break more easily from repeated flexing.

Zxv2CK.jpg

ZxveL1.jpg

ZxvAGv.jpg

Zxv5rj.jpg

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a 1.3/3.0 washer if it's a spring type and between 0.05 - 0.1mm thick. Post a link to it, I'll have a look and I might even want one as a back up.

Reactions: Glidelock

Glidelock

21/1/21
Post a link to it, I'll have a look and I might even want one as a back up

Since I live in Germany I was mainly looking for German shops.

The washer I found is a German Standard (DIN 137 Type A).

I have found only one shop which has the smallest size avaible:
https://www.rosentaler-schrauben.de/Befestigungstechnik/Unterlegscheiben-Federringe/DIN-137-Federscheiben-Form-A-gewoelbt/Federscheibe-DIN-137-stahl-zink-weiss-Gr-A1-2--18104.html

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a 1.3/3.0 washer if it's a spring type and between 0.05 - 0.1mm thick

According to the specification it is 1.3/3.0mm but with 0.2mm a little bit too thick.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Since I live in Germany I was mainly looking for German shops.

The washer I found is a German Standard (DIN 137 Type A).

I have found only one shop which has the smallest size avaible:
https://www.rosentaler-schrauben.de/Befestigungstechnik/Unterlegscheiben-Federringe/DIN-137-Federscheiben-Form-A-gewoelbt/Federscheibe-DIN-137-stahl-zink-weiss-Gr-A1-2--18104.html

According to the specification it is 1.3/3.0mm but with 0.2mm a little bit too thick.

Ah too bad. Even my stock metal plate at 0.15mm was too thick. It prevents the intermediate winding shaft from rising up to clear the bump in the stem and allow it to be pulled out to position 3.

ZxEuGK.jpg

Reactions: Glidelock

Enfer06

Horology Curious
2/12/20
Hi guys
I’m having the exact same issue this morning. I cannot get the crown into the 3rd position. Date and winding still works for now. Seems to be a recurring issue on VSF!
Did you figure smth out ?
Any luck contacting a watchmaker?

Glidelock

21/1/21
Hi guys
I’m having the exact same issue this morning. I cannot get the crown into the 3rd position. Date and winding still works for now. Seems to be a recurring issue on VSF!
Did you figure smth out ?
Any luck contacting a watchmaker?

Hi,

I met with a watchsmith today. He's going to have a look. I will keep you updated.

Enfer06

Horology Curious
2/12/20
Thanks ! A bit disappointed by VSF, I might have set up the date 5 times in 2 month.
And by now, my watch also stopped working …

Glidelock

21/1/21
Hey guys. I have an update for you.

The watch is working again. It wasn't the spring washer.

The pin of the setting lever (Part-No 3235-220) has come off and got stuck deep inside of the movement.

My watch smith got it out of the movement and fixed it back in place with some strong glue. If it will break again I will buy the gen part (around 70 USD).

I'm happy that it is finally working again. I hope it will last longer this time.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The pin of the setting lever (Part-No 3235-220) has come off and got stuck deep inside of the movement.

My watch smith got it out of the movement and fixed it back in place with some strong glue.

ZcUVBn.jpg

ZcU0Tt.jpg

I'm happy that it is finally working again. I hope it will last longer this time.

Wow very lucky the loose pin didn't damage another part. It will be interesting to see how long it holds up. I've used epoxy on parts before with good results. Looks like a clean repair.

Thanks for updating us with the fix, always good to learn about these faults and their remedies.

Triplock

Last edited:

Enfer06

Horology Curious
2/12/20
Thanks for the update mate.
Mine is with JonnhyDepp for repair and servicing! Will update what the issue was as well.

Reactions: KJ2020

Enfer06

Horology Curious
2/12/20
Hi guys
So got the update from JD, same issue as above. Setting lever got off and blocked the movement. He seems to have repaired it now. Also, seems like I got a broken teeth in the main
bf75eb30515dd180d193aa399633460c.jpg

barrel from the factory..
1c38f2126984e26734856451830ca00b.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk