• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TB's Watch Repair & Servicing Journey

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Hey Guys!

So I have been into servicing and working watches for several years now, however COVID and working from home until last October accelerated that. I've surmounted quite the "collection" of tools since then. I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree, so naturally mechanical watches and their inner workings have always interested me. So why not get into servicing watches!!??
I have been following oascom post on his journey as well, and that inspired me to do the same...just maybe from more of an amateur viewpoint. In no way am I trying to supersede his thread.

Thus far I have serviced several 2824's, 6497's (great one to do for beginners), Powermatic 80, 3132/3135/3185, 7750 (Only once), and Seiko's 7S26C. The 4130 is upcoming on a Noob Daytona. I have not started transplanting gen parts into these movements, but I plan to do that soon! These have all been personal watches or friends / family watches. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures. If anyone has any questions / needs help, I am more than happy to help out as best as I can.

Disclaimer : I am in no way professionally trained. I do this as a hobby, however I do follow all the tech manuals when servicing watches. Shameless Plug for the manual thread I created : https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...hnical-manuals

First off my setup. I am currently waiting on a new desk to arrive since the area I use now is a little cramped. And also waiting on a timegrapher. I have been using a iPhone app which is fairly limited in the capabilities. But, I have everything else to get the job done effectively.

ZDLOGo.jpg

I always like the look of the oils we use (From left to right - Moebius 9415, HP-1300, 9010, and 9504 Grease). I also use HP-1000 and Molykote DS in rare situations.

ZDLXHb.jpg

Now on to the first movement I'll post that I am currently working on. It is a VR3186, that will be transplanted in an incoming 116710BLNR. This VR is actually a 3185 Clone...not a 3186 as the winding bridge denotes. I'll post pics as I complete individual pieces on movements, so stay tuned!!

ZDL3EL.jpg

ZDL4e2.jpg

Clean movement pieces. I use a small ultrasonic with VMP Naphtha as my first wash, then rise twice with 99.9% IPA. I use small mason jars for this as well as small stainless steel baskets. It's time consuming, but it gets the job done very well. The Balance assembly and Pallets get cleaned in One Dip...I do not put them in the ultrasonic.
The reverser wheels, seconds wheel, escape wheel, pallet jewels, and all the keyless works are coated with Epilame after cleaning.

ZDLaYK.jpg

Mainspring completed. I coat the mainspring in a very fine layer of 9504. Then the automatic movements get 8213 braking grease on the barrel wall.

ZDL5Ue.jpg

ZDLmBd.jpg

ZDLB4T.jpg

Winding bridge assembled. I use 9504 grease for this piece.

Last edited:

4bro

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/1/21
Germany
May I ask where you are located? Nice set up und cheers

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Minute Pinion and Bridge installed. I tried to take a macro shot of the minute pinion to show the grease. Small amount of 9504 above and below the wheel.

ZDOIyq.jpg

ZDOJPs.jpg

ZDOQL6.jpg

Reactions: mp1mancini

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
It’s the weekend so that means more time to work on watches!

Finished the keyless works and installed cannon pinion along with 24h wheel.

ZD48dA.jpg

Balance stop and winding bridge installed.

ZD4l2R.jpg

ZD4gug.jpg

Train wheels and escape wheel. Again the escape wheel has been treated with Epilame as well the seconds wheel.

ZD4Uwr.jpg

Barrel and bridges installed. HP1300 and 9010 used to oil.

ZD4CJU.jpg

ZD4cX8.jpg

Pallets and pallet cock. Pallets have been treated with Epilame too. 9415 used on one pallet.

ZD4nzI.jpg

Rachel wheel, sliding gears, and click spring installed.

ZD4Mdo.jpg

ZD40x3.jpg

Balance installed! Love when it starts working right away.

ZD4kub.jpg

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Next up is the GMT and date functions. Pretty damn accurate to the Rolex 3185. Not sure how the GMT module will hold up over time.

ZD4hfX.jpg

Automatic module and weight up next! Reverser wheels are treated with Epilame. All the pivots are oiled with HP-1300.

ZD4jbp.jpg

ZD47tG.jpg

And the auto works mounted! Service complete on the VR3185...not 3186 hah!! This will be going in an incoming 116710BLNR ARF.

ZD4Hjs.jpg

ZD4q2q.jpg

ZD4O66.jpg

Last edited:

rwacc

Known Member
17/1/21
This is incredible. I'm also learning watch repair on my own end, hoping to get into modding for my personal watches. What did you use to get started?

Reactions: PsychoTee16

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
This is incredible. I'm also learning watch repair on my own end, hoping to get into modding for my personal watches. What did you use to get started?

I’ll tell yah what, I’d start slowly and get some good tools.
I just got a few tools here and there, but didn’t cheap out. The manuals are also key. If you have those and take your time it really isn’t that bad!

I honestly got tired of sending my watches off for a service, so why not learn!

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about tools and such.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Next up is the GMT and date functions. Pretty damn accurate to the Rolex 3185. Not sure how the GMT module will hold up over time.

ZD4hfX.jpg

Automatic module and weight up next! Reverser wheels are treated with Epilame. All the pivots are oiled with HP-1300.

ZD4jbp.jpg

ZD47tG.jpg

And the auto works mounted! Service complete on the VR3185...not 3186 hah!! This will be going in an incoming 116710BLNR ARF.

ZD4Hjs.jpg

ZD4q2q.jpg

ZD4O66.jpg
Love love love this!!! I'm a watchsmith in training as well and this is fabulous stuff! Please keep the journey and photography going! Following you closely.

(Pictured is work on my end on a gen datewheel swap for a franken 116622. Photographing work is SORELY NEEDED)
dbc7aa67c3fae2054577a63d82a8eb35.jpg
c4ba997784c88663a359ec4789c01a6d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JNSD and Lariram

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
Nice thread and pictures mate ! Very happy to see people getting into serious watchmaking, i have a feeling it's not a question of if but when a mechanical engineer falls in love with mechanical watches :)

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Thanks guys!
All it takes is practice really!

I have a PAM111 with the 6497-2 on the bench now. So will be sharing that soon. I typically only get time on the weekends to do work due to my “real” job hah!

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Okay so up next is a PAM111 with a 6497-2 Clone. This watch was previously serviced (not by me) around 4-5 years ago.

Upon disassembly, I found several areas with oil pooled up. Not sure if this is just from time or if too much oil was applied.

ZDmvgD.jpg

ZDmbc0.jpg

ZDmyaF.jpg

Everything ready to go in the ultrasonic! Will be cleaning and polishing the case as well.

ZDmI1U.jpg

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
Thanks guys!
All it takes is practice really!

Agree mate, it definitely needs a lot of practice, but imo it's still a lot more to it, i think since it's a hobby and it was fun for you, you forgot to mention all the research, reading and learning you did.
Plus not to forget as an engineer you already have a lot of fundamental mechanical knowledge, knowledge about tribology and understandment of boundary layer lubrication or hydrodynamic/hydrostatic lubrication to know where and which oil/grease is needed and so on..
Just want to remind you it was a lot more than just practice mate ;) will follow !

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Agree mate, it definitely needs a lot of practice, but imo it's still a lot more to it, i think since it's a hobby and it was fun for you, you forgot to mention all the research, reading and learning you did.
Plus not to forget as an engineer you already have a lot of fundamental mechanical knowledge, knowledge about tribology and understandment of boundary layer lubrication or hydrodynamic/hydrostatic lubrication to know where and which oil/grease is needed and so on..
Just want to remind you it was a lot more than just practice mate ;) will follow !

100% Correct.

Nothing beats taking it apart and learning by that though!

Reactions: BiH855

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Parts all clean!
On to the assembly. I always get the mainspring done first. I use 9504 again on the mainspring just NO braking grease.

ZDrbdR.jpg

ZDrzxT.jpg

ZDr1ng.jpg

ZDryZA.jpg

Next, Epilame the keyless works and all the train wheels and pallets.

ZDrIFQ.jpg