• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rotor Rotates when Manually Winding

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Hi all,

I have been pretty unlucky this year with watch movements lol.

I have a VSF 2018 Seamaster 300M which came with I believe either decorated 2824 or 2836 movement.

I didn't realize when I got the watch but I noticed that rotor is rotating when I am manually winding the watch.

I know this isn't supposed to happen.

My questions are:

1. Is this an urgent issue I have to immediately address before continuing to use the watch?

Or is it just an inconvenience when winding (it's pretty stiff and makes rotor noise when winding but the watch runs fine with good reserve)

2. If I have to fix this issue, do I need to pay for a full service? Or do I just pay to address this specific problem (if cheaper to do so).

Thank you so much in advance!

​​​​​

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
The rotor is going to spin when winding when the reversing wheels are improperly lubricated. The ratchet wheel engages with the autowinding mechanism. When it turns, the autowinding wheels (including reversing wheels) turn. If the reversing wheels are properly lubricated and undamaged, they spin freely without engaging the rotor.
As to the urgency, it will create more wear and tear on the autowind mechanism. If you know someone nearby who works on watches that could fix it, I'd say get it fixed.

Reactions: sukwonee

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
The rotor is going to spin when winding when the reversing wheels are improperly lubricated. The ratchet wheel engages with the autowinding mechanism. When it turns, the autowinding wheels (including reversing wheels) turn. If the reversing wheels are properly lubricated and undamaged, they spin freely without engaging the rotor.
As to the urgency, it will create more wear and tear on the autowind mechanism. If you know someone nearby who works on watches that could fix it, I'd say get it fixed.

Thank you so much. I know you live super close to me lol. Will you be able to do this? If so, I will PM ya

Reactions: hanski

schlonz

Renowned Member
1/5/16
should be a small issue just requiring a little cleaning and lubricating on the "don't know the proper expression, maybe friction clutch" mechanism
you may want to try a different orientation of the watch other than dial upwards i.e. crown upwards as the additional gravity resistance of the rotor may overcome the increased friction
not an urgent issue as far as I am concerned but should not be overly expensive to fix

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
should be a small issue just requiring a little cleaning and lubricating on the "don't know the proper expression, maybe friction clutch" mechanism
you may want to try a different orientation of the watch other than dial upwards i.e. crown upwards as the additional gravity resistance of the rotor may overcome the increased friction
not an urgent issue as far as I am concerned but should not be overly expensive to fix

Thank you so much! I tried winding upside down and facing up and rotor seems to catch and rotate. I am going to take care of it as soon as I get to it I think.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Thank you so much. I know you live super close to me lol. Will you be able to do this? If so, I will PM ya

Sure can - autowinding can be removed and cleaned independent of the rest of the movement.