• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cricut: using it to make custom dials

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I have been watching a lot of Cricut videos on youtube, I wish this machine was around when I was a bit of a boy racer so I don't have to make my stickers for my cars by hand.

For anyone that didn't know what Cricut is, is a cutting machine for home, is like a plotter, where you can put blades and other attachments to it.

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone actually has one here? I'm thinking of buying one to cut vinyls to make custom watch dials. The only issue is, I'm not sure how fine the machine can cut.

It will be great if someone already has the machine here and don't mind sharing their experience.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I’ve bought two summa d60 vinyl cutters over the years (for work rather than personal use). I presume what you’re talking about is similar, but more of a home version. The software (although not overly user friendly) worked, but as soon as you drop below 10mm letter height, it becomes very difficult to get a good cut. The vinyl is reasonably thick, so even working at letter height of 10mm, you have to use a scalpel to remove the ‘negative’ around the letters, and work some by hand. Cutting tiny lettering for a dial would not work on the ones I’ve used. Cutting a 26-29mm circle would be easy though.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I’ve bought two summa d60 vinyl cutters over the years (for work rather than personal use). I presume what you’re talking about is similar, but more of a home version. The software (although not overly user friendly) worked, but as soon as you drop below 10mm letter height, it becomes very difficult to get a good cut. The vinyl is reasonably thick, so even working at letter height of 10mm, you have to use a scalpel to remove the ‘negative’ around the letters, and work some by hand. Cutting tiny lettering for a dial would not work on the ones I’ve used. Cutting a 26-29mm circle would be easy though.
Thank you, that's what Im thinking it might be tool small they also have a foil transfer tool which the machine put pressure on the foil of your choice on a service (usually paper or card) of which it could be another option. I'm just toying with options and see it there are anything out there which may work.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Thank you, that's what Im thinking it might be tool small they also have a foil transfer tool which the machine put pressure on the foil of your choice on a service (usually paper or card) of which it could be another option. I'm just toying with options and see it there are anything out there which may work.

I get your problem solving. In my experience, vinyl cutters of this type would struggle with text below an average wall clock dial, so would be next to useless for watch dials. I did once consider if we could (at my work) laser cut smaller letters, but it was too much trouble to try in the end. I’m now wondering if a laser might be a good option for dials in terms of a matte black dial that you laser to reveal the gilt....might work (our laser is certainly high enough res. For very very fine text.