• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob BLRO GMT master II hour click spring?

DangerUK

Horology Curious
14/10/19
The hour hand on my Noob BLRO GMT Master II has stopped moving unless manually moved, when moved manually it no longer clicks but moves in a smooth rotation. The other hands and overall movement are working as normal. In a gen Rolex this is normally the operation of an hour click spring and was a known problem in certain models.

My question is does the Noob BLRO movement use the same sort of spring and if so can you replace it with a genuine part? I love this watch and I am very sad to see that it is not working properly, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Noob is a timebomb, you may have exploded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Search noob timebomb movement in RWI.

Its not a true clone movement so no gen parts.

Unfortunately the options are very limited to fix this best option to convert to ICHS but you'll need new hands for that as well.

I've seen some of those movements for sale in RWI I think that would be the best option.

In any case you need a new movement no one has succeeded in repairing it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The hour hand faulty movement is caused by the Intermediate date wheel not having anything to anchor it in place like a regular 2836 and 2824 have. The movement can be fixed, I just completed one recently.

The jump click was epoxied together, an IDW support arm installed, and the movement mainnplate filed to accommodate a 2836 date corrector (double corrector) so the quickset date feature is restored.

Here is some more info from a previous post

There are two points of potential failure in these movements.

1. The jump click spring can break. The spring is located inside the two part GMT wheel, which is held together by the collet. The two halves of the GMT wheel rotate independently if the click spring is intact. If it breaks, the two halves can be epoxied together. It makes no difference if the broken click spring is left inside the GMT wheel for the gluing, although it can act as a containment border for the glue. Once the halves are glued, the GMT and hour hands will be forever synched, but will retain their proper rotation periods (hour hand 2 cycles per 24 hours, GMT hand 1 cycle per 24 hours).

qJX21.jpg

2. The Intermediate Date Wheel (IDW) has no support arm on it in this movement like it does in a native 2836 and 2824. It can get cocked up out of position separately from the click spring breaking. This is due to additional forces placed on it by the datewheel driving wheel around the times of date change (10PM - 2AM). The result is the hour hand becomes stuck or lags behind or is not responsive to crown movements for as long as the IDW is out of position because the hour wheel has become disengaged. Sometimes the IDW will settle back down into position, sometimes not. The potential for this flaw to occur increases when the GMT wheel is glued together because the click spring is not available to absorb any of the pressure exerted on the solid GMT wheel. The fix to this flaw is a custom made IDW support arm fitted underneath the datewheel cover plate.

dkv7X.jpg

qJClK.jpg

qJQxR.jpg

So, even if you have a spare GMT wheel with an intact click spring, it will not prevent the IDW flaw from occurring. I have fixed that flaw in several of these movements where the click spring never broke. The IDW flaw may never occur, but it is not uncommon.

Here you can see a normal alignment of the IDW and the hour wheel (which sits atop the GMT wheel), and then a pic of the IDW when it gets displaced. This causes the teeth to skip or disengage altogether.

dwOe4.jpg

dwq0j.jpg

Some pics of the mainplate mod

b4MZS.jpg

b4sIQ.jpg

​​​​​​​
b4wuW.jpg

DangerUK

Horology Curious
14/10/19
The hour hand faulty movement is caused by the Intermediate date wheel not having anything to anchor it in place like a regular 2836 and 2824 have. The movement can be fixed, I just completed one recently.

The jump click was epoxied together, an IDW support arm installed, and the movement mainnplate filed to accommodate a 2836 date corrector (double corrector) so the quickset date feature is restored.

Here is some more info from a previous post

There are two points of potential failure in these movements.

1. The jump click spring can break. The spring is located inside the two part GMT wheel, which is held together by the collet. The two halves of the GMT wheel rotate independently if the click spring is intact. If it breaks, the two halves can be epoxied together. It makes no difference if the broken click spring is left inside the GMT wheel for the gluing, although it can act as a containment border for the glue. Once the halves are glued, the GMT and hour hands will be forever synched, but will retain their proper rotation periods (hour hand 2 cycles per 24 hours, GMT hand 1 cycle per 24 hours).

qJX21.jpg

2. The Intermediate Date Wheel (IDW) has no support arm on it in this movement like it does in a native 2836 and 2824. It can get cocked up out of position separately from the click spring breaking. This is due to additional forces placed on it by the datewheel driving wheel around the times of date change (10PM - 2AM). The result is the hour hand becomes stuck or lags behind or is not responsive to crown movements for as long as the IDW is out of position because the hour wheel has become disengaged. Sometimes the IDW will settle back down into position, sometimes not. The potential for this flaw to occur increases when the GMT wheel is glued together because the click spring is not available to absorb any of the pressure exerted on the solid GMT wheel. The fix to this flaw is a custom made IDW support arm fitted underneath the datewheel cover plate.

dkv7X.jpg

qJClK.jpg

qJQxR.jpg

So, even if you have a spare GMT wheel with an intact click spring, it will not prevent the IDW flaw from occurring. I have fixed that flaw in several of these movements where the click spring never broke. The IDW flaw may never occur, but it is not uncommon.

Here you can see a normal alignment of the IDW and the hour wheel (which sits atop the GMT wheel), and then a pic of the IDW when it gets displaced. This causes the teeth to skip or disengage altogether.

dwOe4.jpg

dwq0j.jpg

Some pics of the mainplate mod

b4MZS.jpg

b4sIQ.jpg

b4wuW.jpg

This is extremely helpful, thank you for the detailed response.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Video of the quickset in action

https://vimeo.com/446497307

Password: Quickset

Note that the GMT hand has a +4 offset to local time. The hands are synched (not independent). The offset was created when pressing the hands for customer's time difference to GMT.