• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reluming tips

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Hi all. Any pro’s out there with a few tips on reluming rolex hands? Seems no matter how runny or solid i make the mix, the stuff seeps through and goes over the mercedes triangle. Ive scraped it off in the past i was just wondering if theres a trick to avoid it? Have i got too much juice on the oiler? Is the trick to build up a bead around the part your trying to fill then float it in? Would appreciate any advice!

Reactions: Caril

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
do one really thin coat first from the bottom , and just form a thin film, then hit it again once that is dry

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Too much applied, lume mix too liquid.

The binder should be viscous, if it isn't, well you can see what happens.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
do one really thin coat first from the bottom , and just form a thin film, then hit it again once that is dry

Thin as in make the mix watery? As in add thinners or extra binder?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Too much applied, lume mix too liquid.

The binder should be viscous, if it isn't, well you can see what happens.

So leave the hands until last when the mix has thickened up a bit? Or just add more lume powder in the first place? Sorry for all the questions, for what its worth im finding the round marker easy haha!

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Thin as in make the mix watery? As in add thinners or extra binder?

That how i do mine , Trippy appently has a different approach .

i do mine really watery on the first application , then just skin it to form a film , i let that dry and hit it heavy , plus i lume from the bottom , go gravity pulls it down ...

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Ok so this is attempt number six today. Mullered the hands with scratches doing it some many times but thats life. Any tips on avoiding scratching the hands or is it mainly dont but 6 full relumes worth of shite in the dish your putting hands in?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

i do mine really watery on the first application , then just skin it to form a film , i let that dry and hit it heavy , plus i lume from the bottom , go gravity pulls it down ...

Bloody hell you mount the hands facing upwards then lume from the by bottom? As tricky as that sounds im up for giving it a go. Tomorrow of course, im sick of tritec and their shitty products for today. Remember a good work man always blames his tools.

Reactions: KJ2020

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Bloody hell you mount the hands facing upwards then lume from the by bottom? As tricky as that sounds im up for giving it a go. Tomorrow of course, im sick of tritec and their shitty products for today. Remember a good work man always blames his tools.

Not really i put my first lume on a toothpick and drag the hands across it for the first film , once that is good you can invert the hands and do it from the top which is now the botttom

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Not really i put my first lume on a toothpick and drag the hands across it for the first film , once that is good you can invert the hands and do it from the top which is now the botttom

Beautiful thanks dave much appreciated. Ill give that a go tomorrow. And you say thin liquid first layer just for the film then hammer it with the toothpaste like layer once its dry? What are you holding the hand with so you can control it dragging over the toothpick? Just brass tweezers? Big drop of liquid on the toothpick or just a bit moist?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18

^^^This is a really important point - the orientation of the hands matters when applying lume. Right side up and level is the right way to let the lume set. Remember, it's a viscose material, it will move while drying. If your hands are anything by level and right side up, you'll get uneven application.

Another good reason for applying the lume from the bottom is you can observe the top of the hand. As you're allowing the lume to take hold then moving it along the hand in a smooth motion, you can see if you're applying too much pressure. If you are, you'll see the lume bulging out the topside. Take advantage of the hydro-mechanical behaviors of the material and help guide it into an equilibrium on the hands. As we say in the lume-business, "Be one with the lume."

Also, the lume mix should be the consistency of brownie batter. When you mix or pick at it, you may see some of the granules but pretty quickly it settles into itself and smooths over.

Reactions: Caril and p0pperini

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Beautiful thanks dave much appreciated. Ill give that a go tomorrow. And you say thin liquid first layer just for the film then hammer it with the toothpaste like layer once its dry? What are you holding the hand with so you can control it dragging over the toothpick? Just brass tweezers? Big drop of liquid on the toothpick or just a bit moist?

i uses a blob of rodico to hold the hand , after the application , i squish the blob on a bigger blob until its dry

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This all makes a lot of sense! I watched the cwazy relume vid on you tube and never thought to question the fact that the hands should be upside down. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully ill report back tomorrow with some better results.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I usually sharpen a toothpick, put it on a blob of rodeco. Mount the hands on there upside down (min and hour hands only). Mix the lume to where it’s slightly runny but not too thin. Thin enough to be able to be spread without it breaking apart. Then I just use a Oiler and spread it from the base to the tip. Typically, it usually only takes 2 thin coats or 1 thick coat. (I do 2 just to be secure). Just be patient enough for them to completely dry to flip it over.

Second hand, I just put it upside down on a blob of rodeco and put a layer of lume on the dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I usually sharpen a toothpick, put it on a blob of rodeco. Mount the hands on there upside down (min and hour hands only). Mix the lume to where it’s slightly runny but not too thin. Thin enough to be able to be spread without it breaking apart. Then I just use a Oiler and spread it from the base to the tip. Typically, it usually only takes 2 thin coats or 1 thick coat. (I do 2 just to be secure). Just be patient enough for them to completely dry to flip it over.

Second hand, I just put it upside down on a blob of rodeco and put a layer of lume on the dot.

That’s pretty much been my method so far but out of over 10 attempts ive had maybe 1 or 2 where it didnt seep through. My latest go i did what I suggested and put a ‘frame bead’ around the minute hand and it spread much easier. I think im either going too thick or holding the blob to spread too close to the hand. Im going to try what the guys above suggested tomorrow and see how that going.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
That’s pretty much been my method so far but out of over 10 attempts ive had maybe 1 or 2 where it didnt seep through. My latest go i did what I suggested and put a ‘frame bead’ around the minute hand and it spread much easier. I think im either going too thick or holding the blob to spread too close to the hand. Im going to try what the guys above suggested tomorrow and see how that going.

Yea. It sounds like your binder isn’t too thin. Which one(s) are you using? I just use the nocolume’s thinnest one and that one is still too thick. If I’m practicing, I use the crappy kit I got from fleabay. It’s basically Elmer’s glue. The good thing is, if you mess up; you can easily pull it right off of there. The bad thing is, you can pull it right off of the there.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yea. It sounds like your binder isn’t too thin. Which one(s) are you using? I just use the nocolume’s thinnest one and that one is still too thick. If I’m practicing, I use the crappy kit I got from fleabay. It’s basically Elmer’s glue. The good thing is, if you mess up; you can easily pull it right off of there. The bad thing is, you can pull it right off of the there.

Well I bought the bergeon kit to practice with, did like 2 hands and thought i was great, now since getting the tritec lume and binders im struggling with it. Its ‘varnish a 60’ according to my invoice, no idea if thats good or bad.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Cwazy makes it look like buttering toast. Definitely a skill that needs to be acquired.

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks