• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just wanted to share a big win for me!!

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I recently bought a cheap Roamer watch from India ($10Aud) apparently they service them before they send them out.... NOT!! Just lately I've been attempting to strip down, lubricate and re-build with some wins but mostly fails I'm sorry to say. I've been practicing now for about 3 months when I get the time. I really enjoy it and seems to send me to a place where I don't/can't think about work!!

Any way this Roamer has a ST96 inside, which is a 17Jewel Swiss movement probably from the 70's, as you can see from the original timegrapher photo it certainly wasn't serviced in India!!!
I pulled it apart in about and hour and put it back together again in about two i'd guess, if anyone can comment on my time scales I would be interested.

Oiling/lubricating is still a mystery to me, it's a bit of guess work at the moment. if anyone can help me on this I'd certainly appreciate it.

So the end result is a bit mixed....

I got the timing adjustment pretty good in the end but the amplitude is still way down, I didn't pull the mainspring barrel apart as my ebay special barrel winder set is very limited and in the past i've pulled out the mainspring only to find I can't get it back in because the winder wont grab the spring... I think this is because I'm working on old vintage springs/winders. Also when the watch is measured in a different position the timing goes to s**t i'm assuming that this is because the watch movement is basically worn out???

Any how at this stage I'm pretty chuffed with my result and just wanted to share my big win!! :)

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Excellent work! While not perfect at least you can use it to keep track of the time now!

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Great job!

There might be thousand different problems causing low performance. jawels, bent pinions, wrong oils used causing drag, dirt , problems with balance, endshakes, mainspring etc etc but hey you got it working again that's awesome

Basekomp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/18
Right on! Congrats! Hopefully I’ll be there with you eventually.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Great job!

There might be thousand different problems causing low performance. jawels, bent pinions, wrong oils used causing drag, dirt , problems with balance, endshakes, mainspring etc etc but hey you got it working again that's awesome

Thanks for the encouragement! Appreciated

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Oascom

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
As a self-learner hobbyist too, I would suggest to try and wind the mainspring manually into the barrel.
I started like this and can’t really see any use of the mainspring winders.

Have you bought the De Carle bible? That’s a pretty good start for basics!

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
As a self-learner hobbyist too, I would suggest to try and wind the mainspring manually into the barrel.

I've tried to do it manually without success, how the hell do you do that?? De Carne Bible???? (i'll look it up) And thanks to all respondents, I really need all the encouragement and advice I can get! ;-)
Ahh and how long have you been doing IT?...

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Posts like this are an inspiration. Congratulations on getting to the point where you have this skill, it’s a fantastic achievement and huge kudos to you mate.

I’ve yet to attempt a strip down and rebuild on a movement, but it’s on my to-do list. I’m looking forward to a whole new world of epic fails, in miniature...

Reactions: Jackster

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM

Yeah but try to wind 2671 movement mainspring manually. I did it... After 2 hours of painfully trying. I have regular sized hands but this thing is so tiny my ends of two fingers were too big to hold the main spring .

Anyway doing it by hand you deposit dirt, oils and skin from your fingers into the spring. Using fingercots and trying to wind it by hand resulted in pinched rubber all the time.

Winder is a must have. Quick easy and the right way to do it

Cheers
​​​​​

Reactions: KJ2020

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Yeah but try to wind 2671 movement mainspring manually. I did it... After 2 hours of painfully trying. I have regular sized hands but this thing is so tiny my ends of two fingers were too big to hold the main spring .

Anyway doing it by hand you deposit dirt, oils and skin from your fingers into the spring. Using fingercots and trying to wind it by hand resulted in pinched rubber all the time.

Cheers
​​​​​

Yeah, that’s a sad reality. I first tried with fingercoats and it went exactly as you said, obvious result though.
I found to be able to do it using really tight microfiber gloves.. I know a winder would be the easiest, fastest and most professional way, but I’m just an hobbyist and not in the mood to spend a fortune in tools :p

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)

Cheers
​​​​​

Woke up this morning with a light bulb moment and it seams obvious now... with a mainspring winder you start winding with the arbour end, and this is what I have been trying to do manually... duh I'm assuming I should be starting from the outside and working inwards to the centre, I can't believe I never tried that!!!! So yes I get the winder is the proper way but when the winder doesn't do its job maybe by hand is better than nothing? or best just to leave it be??

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
That is amazing. Keep it up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jackster

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
I m on the same path! So well done mate!

I have started buying tools and going to get a Parnis watch to practice. Wish me luck... btw I have done the 3 hours haute horlogerie introduction on movement in Geneva few years ago and it was amazing so can’t wait to get started (and frustrated) he he

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I m on the same path! So well done mate!

I have started buying tools and going to get a Parnis watch to practice. Wish me luck... btw I have done the 3 hours haute horlogerie introduction on movement in Geneva few years ago and it was amazing so can’t wait to get started (and frustrated) he he

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I buy cheap watches off eBay to ruin! I've bought a cheap chinese 2824 so that I can practice on one similar to what we use in our reps. As for tutoring I signed up to Mark Lovits on-line course, it is very very good. Good tools are expensive and hard to come by in Aus, I guess they are collected over time....

Reactions: Swiss_goupil

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Cheers
​​​​​

Totally agree, plus no finger cuts!