• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Refinishing a rolex case and bracelet

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Looking good McD! I was VERY impressed at the effectiveness of the polonium compound and mini Dremel on my GMT batman

Same here! I just polished my Cartier ring and bracelet. I might end up polishing everything here!

Reactions: saucin

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Looking good McD! I was VERY impressed at the effectiveness of the polonium compound and mini Dremel on my GMT batman

ooops, its certainly NOT called polonium. DO NOT USE POLONIUM!! My brain is now blanked at what the compound is called, it begins with a P though!

Reactions: mclarendude

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
ooops, its certainly NOT called polonium. DO NOT USE POLONIUM!! My brain is now blanked at what the compound is called, it begins with a P though!

POLINUM is the name of it! Certainly not to be confused with POLONIUM. Disclaimer, do not use polonium to polish your watch.....................unless you wear a radioactive suit!

On another note, any chance of a GREEENY please McD? The cookies are in the oven

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
POLINUM is the name of it! Certainly not to be confused with POLONIUM. Disclaimer, do not use polonium to polish your watch.....................unless you wear a radioactive suit!

On another note, any chance of a GREEENY please McD? The cookies are in the oven

No! Too late cookie88888! I just received a case of polonium from a friend of a friend of a friend - had to take a few truckloads of AK47's to go with it mind you, since he had a policy and there was a waitlist. He also has a Rolex agency, but definitely couldn't get me a Sea Dweller. Polonium? No problem.

On a different note, I have been using Dremel 421 polishing compound on a few projects, just a major word of warning on rotary polishing: run the dremel at low speed, or it can remove too much metal, and overheat the surface you are polishing - first hand experience.
giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Day off refinishing shenanigans.

This time with all the compounds recommended on the original post.

The GMT has many deep dings that I don’t care to fix, most if not all hairline scratches have been buffed out with the green compound.

I polished the midlinks, sides of the case, the clasp and then with the abrasive block brushed the case and bracelet with clasp.

f4d333d3953688aac59e07129d350018.jpg

bd9d85b474583fe1df190c6ae593ffa2.jpg

d8b3a9655e84e1696811490fc0fd654d.jpg

b1f5c2ca1850221e9bdcfc89a79f07ad.jpg

12a5b8770c1c07ec82c50cff1ceb1e47.jpg

The SD was a mercy mission that the abrasive blocks took on bravely. I rebrushed the whole thing, case, bracelet, clasp. Then, I polished the sides of the case. While the deeper scratches are still present or mostly brushed over, this watch has reborn for me. I got some things in the mail to make it better so. This is just the beginning.

(I gotta brush the bezel with water and soap, there’s some gunk, I know.)

4cd5f5bfa0153c47e0a814aad93273ea.jpg

933f893607ab653d51543ac1b994b099.jpg

f0bc05d13e5cc88337df4e49ee2cc4d3.jpg

feabe7de50394776f1df546ce1674209.jpg

Some natural light glamour shots.

cd8c47f243795499b96b8174d2ca0fdd.jpg

4e35a47dd5111615159c540ded07a10e.jpg

7d9cf9e3d55883220b717bca6e3299cf.jpg

924043d1d51f3b426a4c8da7da227252.jpg

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
mclarendude looks good to me mate! Are you happy with it? I think for a bit of effort and elbow grease the results are really good. Definitely makes you reconsider spending over $100 per watch to get someone else to do it. Granted if it was a gen rolex id pay the money. But when you have more reps than you can count on two hands, definitely worth while honing this craft!

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
mclarendude looks good to me mate! Are you happy with it? I think for a bit of effort and elbow grease the results are really good. Definitely makes you reconsider spending over $100 per watch to get someone else to do it. Granted if it was a gen rolex id pay the money. But when you have more reps than you can count on two hands, definitely worth while honing this craft!

I am very happy with it. I think it might be my new hobby. I find it to be relaxing as I put all my focus onto it.

Mind you, these two are watches that I bought for less than $80 here, MCD's TLC buys, we can say. People gave up on them, I invested time into them and they there are.

I also did my Cartier Love ring and bracelet. They look like they had a new lease on life.

This is definitely not for someone that wants things done quickly or has no patience.

Not as difficult as watchmaking (an art I am still learning slowly), but just as rewarding.

Polishing really is an art.

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I am very happy with it. I think it might be my new hobby. I find it to be relaxing as I put all my focus onto it.

I also did my Cartier Love ring and bracelet. They look like they had a new lease on life.

This is definitely not for someone that wants things done quickly or has no patience.

Not as difficult as watchmaking (an art I am still learning slowly), but just as rewarding.

Polishing really is an art.

Glad to hear it! Took me a while and much practice to be genuinely happy with the results. Started with just green compound and couldnt figure out why polishing compound didnt give a mirror finish haha! As long as your happy with the results, ignore other people. They dont know how bad it looked when you started :p there is something very satisfying about giving an old watch a new lease in life. Im going to take the plunge and get the bergeon wheel next to see what the brushing looks like. Worth a punt for £35.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Glad to hear it! Took me a while and much practice to be genuinely happy with the results. Started with just green compound and couldnt figure out why polishing compound didnt give a mirror finish haha! As long as your happy with the results, ignore other people. They dont know how bad it looked when you started :p there is something very satisfying about giving an old watch a new lease in life. Im going to take the plunge and get the bergeon wheel next to see what the brushing looks like. Worth a punt for £35.

I'd love to see the results with that. I used all three compounds for all, but love being able to see how the green one just eats away the hairline scratches. Very satisfying and gratifying.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I'd love to see the results with that. I used all three compounds for all, but love being able to see how the green one just eats away the hairline scratches. Very satisfying and gratifying.

If you havent tried that polinum stuff yet, its fantastic. You can pretty much skip white and rouge with it. It some how cuts slightly but still gives a mirror finish, really good stuff. Ill post back in a few weeks with the results of the wheel :)

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
If you havent tried that polinum stuff yet, its fantastic. You can pretty much skip white and rouge with it. It some how cuts slightly but still gives a mirror finish, really good stuff. Ill post back in a few weeks with the results of the wheel :)

I haven't but, I will. Is it the one that comes with the dremel or another one I should buy?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Dang it. Time to get it ! Thanks Dr Fun Socks !

No worries mate! Let us know how you get on with it. I was lucky, another member bought two and sent me one because hes a lovely bloke, but ill never go back to any other compound now. Its the dogs bollocks and other than the rubber blocks, the best £10 you can spend on refinishing a watch.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
No worries mate! Let us know how you get on with it. I was lucky, another member bought two and sent me one because hes a lovely bloke, but ill never go back to any other compound now. Its the dogs bollocks and other than the rubber blocks, the best £10 you can spend on refinishing a watch.

With that kind of endorsement, I can't say no!

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Ironically, all of the watch part stores I use are out of polinum, so if anyone orders some, let me know and I'll jump in for one!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Ironically, all of the watch part stores I use are out of polinum, so if anyone orders some, let me know and I'll jump in for one!

It was the same in the uk when kj suggested it. I blame him for the worlds stocks depleating. Luckily red1 got a couple of them and sent me one. Could be worth asking where he got his but it was probably from the uk or europe.