• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Refinishing a rolex case and bracelet

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
9ff103ac483a10d2b92df60332c7b4f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Sorry if the above sounds a bit stupid. Basically I have one of these. Just wondered if it’s worth me inventing in a bench mounted “grinder type” or of what I have will work well?

*investing

(disclaimer: I do not claim to be inventing the bench grinder!)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Sorry if the above sounds a bit stupid. Basically I have one of these. Just wondered if it’s worth me inventing in a bench mounted “grinder type” or of what I have will work well?

Yeah the small variable speed drill like tool. You can get good results with that or a bench mounted buffing wheel it just takes a bit longer with a dremel. The key is the buffing wheel, you need either of the types pictured to get a nice polished finish. The felt type that comes with most dremels wont cut the mustard. The key is the small loose leaf cotton construction.
TzW8Q.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Yeah the small variable speed drill like tool. You can get good results with that or a bench mounted buffing wheel it just takes a bit longer with a dremel. The key is the buffing wheel, you need either of the types pictured to get a nice polished finish. The felt type that comes with most dremels wont cut the mustard. The key is the small loose leaf cotton construction.
TzW8Q.jpg

Thanks so much for clearing this up. Looking forward to starting my first “proper” polish and brush now! Before I I’ve only used scotch pad (brushed surfaces) and cape code (polished surfaces)

Just ordered 120 and 240 grade garryflex blocks for the brushing.

For The polishing I will buy some jewellers rouge and some decent buffing wheels for my dremel - any polishing wheels you can recommend specifically or are the loose leaf ones all pretty much the same?

Cheers.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Thanks so much for clearing this up. Looking forward to starting my first “proper” polish and brush now! Before I I’ve only used scotch pad (brushed surfaces) and cape code (polished surfaces)

For The polishing I will buy some jewellers rouge and some decent buffing wheels for my dremel - any polishing wheels you can recommend specifically or are the loose leaf ones all pretty much the same?

Cheers.

120 and 240 might be too much.

To have a nice brushing on Rolex use 400 fallowing up with 600.

Also there are attachments for Dremel that can get decent brushing marks

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Silicon-Carbide-15-16-in-Buffing-Wheel-Accessory/1207877

I used those with some success

Reactions: balance27

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

Cheers.

I just got these and there pretty good for the money. Dont bother with the jewellers rouge, just got straight for the polinum kj recommended, its great stuff.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273884458955

Reactions: balance27

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Have you tried the 240 rubber blocks though? They come out a lot finer than 240 grit paper. Dont ask me how but its much more like a 400 grit finish from paper.

I did use some in the past.

Also used bergeon medium and fine blocks.

This was before I started to use brushing wheels, can't beat that finnish they produce.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I did use some in the past.

Also used bergeon medium and fine blocks.

This was before I started to use brushing wheels, can't beat that finnish they produce.

I get the feeling they are very similar to bergon blocks just at a fraction of the price. Im tempted to try the machine brushing wheels but for the amount i do it, its not really worth it. Although what workshop is complete without a sweet ass polishing/brushing machine...

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I get the feeling they are very similar to bergon blocks just at a fraction of the price. Im tempted to try the machine brushing wheels but for the amount i do it, its not really worth it. Although what workshop is complete without a sweet ass polishing/brushing machine...

Well yeah if you do it only on your watches then you can just use Dremel and spend more time to get good results.

With the machine it's much faster and better results and very consistent.

You could even polish the links by hands, just a cloth and buffing and polishing compound . But it would take so much time hahah

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Well yeah if you do it only on your watches then you can just use Dremel and spend more time to get good results.

With the machine it's much faster and better results and very consistent.

You could even polish the links by hands, just a cloth and buffing and polishing compound . But it would take so much time hahah

I do like using my little bench grinder for polishing, as you say its so much quicker. Do you know roughly the wheel size of the bergeon brushing wheels? Im pretty much limited to 4” wheels without dropping the money on a bigger machine.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I do like using my little bench grinder for polishing, as you say its so much quicker. Do you know roughly the wheel size of the bergeon brushing wheels? Im pretty much limited to 4” wheels without dropping the money on a bigger machine.

I'm using 4" :) and it works fine for me. I have limited space so this is all I can do, I might upgrade to bigger one later but just don't want to drop another 1-1.5k right now for better rig :p

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
I'm using 4" :) and it works fine for me. I have limited space so this is all I can do, I might upgrade to bigger one later but just don't want to drop another 1-1.5k right now for better rig :p

Can these brushing wheels be found for dremel? Not the big geinder and unfortunately I dont have a bench grinder due to space.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I bought a DremelLite and these are my amateur results. I have ordered the extra items on this initial post.

This is all done with what came with the dremel.

3b79e3ab4304f63b7023e59af5e42593.jpg

2b3232077fe40b70665fc132e2637cd3.jpg

3fe4b08dc19b1d413b854b2f2ac484e0.jpg

a7931a6aec31c1dd220921f121449e5e.jpg

3d3552fa2f5883c06d26036d15aaf852.jpg

e721d752b9a064e242b7a24153a752ae.jpg

It’s an upgrade thus far. This watch was sold to me with deep scratches so I’m waiting for the other compounds to deal with them. But. This is a start!

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
It’s an upgrade thus far. This watch was sold to me with deep scratches so I’m waiting for the other compounds to deal with them. But. This is a start!

Looking good McD! I was VERY impressed at the effectiveness of the polonium compound and mini Dremel on my GMT batman

Reactions: mclarendude