• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Share those “Oh, drat...” moments

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I just did one of those things that made me go, “Oh, drat it...” (well, I said something like that, anyway).

I was just going to pop the bezel off my BP factory 16613 so I could install a gen bezel insert I picked up here at the weekend. I’ve done loads of insert replacements, and haven’t had any struggles since I got wise to checking the bezel construction before embarking on the job.

However, with this one I didn’t want to risk damaging the insert and for some reason that led me to think that the best approach would be to try prising the bezel off, and if there’s any difficulty with that, then try easing the insert out with a scalpel to get at the inevitable spring clip underneath, which would be causing the issue removing the bezel.

So I taped up my case back knife, wacked it under the edge of the bezel at 7, and achieved this:

0b4767f7b53d08499e9437a52058fdd6.jpg

Gawd knows if I can successfully flatten it again without fracturing the alloy.

And yes, just to confirm - the latest BP 16613 has an interesting combo of a long click spring and a half-effective circlip spring.

5839e1057fa125cbc32ea3c80d05451b.jpg

What did you do recently that made you say, “Oh... drat!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Rx4Time

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Update... A few minutes on from the initial "Oh... drat"...

Fortunately, as this bezel appears to be made more of cheese than metal, flattening it again was pretty simple using the small clamp I have for holding cases semi-securely under my drill while I wreck their lug holes.

However, I'm now faced with the more difficult task. How the hell do you hold the long spring in place while getting the damn bezel assembly back on again..?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
However, I'm now faced with the more difficult task. How the hell do you hold the long spring in place while getting the damn bezel assembly back on again..?

Normally you would set the bezel onto the case and begin to thread the wire back into its groove one segment at a time. This task is usually quite aggravating and gets increasingly difficult the closer one gets to completion.

I recently tried something different on a hunch and it turned out to be a remarkably easier way to get the bezel back on. Put the wire in the bezel and tape it in place with polishing tape. The stuff is extremely strong against lengthwise pulling so you can nearly bury the wire into the bezel groove. It's also very slippery on top so it pulls out easily. I pressed the bezel on by hand and then pulled the tape out. Perfect.

Putting it back on this way beats the hell out of feeding the wire back in one segment at at a time. Cut each tape loop and slide it out.

2nOlW.jpg

2n12Q.jpg

2nYfS.jpg

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for the extremely helpful guide on the circlip wire KJ - I really appreciate the advice.

I realised that when I asked, "How the hell do you hold the long spring in place" - I missed a word. What I meant was, "How the hell do you hold the long click spring in place?" It drove me absolutely nuts last night trying to work out how that could be secured in place under the bezel while trying to get the bezel back on. Your tip will help with the latter problem, but the former... it's driving me nuts!

Ooh - and another question... Where does one obtain this "polishing tape" your using? Googling for it, I can't tell whether I'm finding the right stuff. There's a lot of different tapes out there, none of which is the same translucent yellow tape you used...

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've not see that kind of long click spring before, but it should sit under the bezel or maybe a second lower groove. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the bezel and the top of the case? Seems like there would need to be an anchor point on one or the other of those places to keep it from just rotating with the bezel.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I've not see that kind of long click spring before, but it should sit under the bezel or maybe a second lower groove. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the bezel and the top of the case? Seems like there would need to be an anchor point on one or the other of those places to keep it from just rotating with the bezel.

Sure, I'll post pics tonight. I've never seen this sort of spring in all the threads and articles I've read online either. There's a mounting hole for it around the 10 position, which is all very well but it's a thick spring and trying to keep the end of it in the hole, while bending the rest of it around the case so it's under the bezel, seems like the kind of torture they'd think up if one had been sent to watch-tinkering hell.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I returned to this minor disaster area this evening, determined to work out the easiest way to approach reassembly.

As requested KJ, a photo of the case:
019c07ff4349b3e580b8cc365886e55f.jpg

And the bits that need to fit together...
b2cd6f8a0a845be122d08c663342110a.jpg

The bent bezel had occurred because the circlip spring only does a half-decent job of holding the bezel - literally! Half the bezel popped up (with very little effort from the case knife), while the other half remained in position. With this in mind, I was reasonably confident I could get it to pop back on. It was just a question of how to deal with that long, stiff wire click spring. It needed to be in place before I started. So, I tried bending it into the bezel - and after a few attempts, got it in place:
7b053d4a3f95cd276a77a6d7b5aea55c.jpg

Then, I carefully positioned the bezel so I could guide the click spring into the hole in the case, and... it clicked back on, easy as anything! I couldn’t bloody believe it!
6ff967a04134e7c65af94fb0c64bdad6.jpg
06eb2cc8891a40e5cec210023b946b9e.jpg

I’m so relieved. I was convinced I’d be online later tonight searching for replacement parts. I’d already checked on the price of a replacement case set.

Yet another fraught little lesson learned in how not to do modding.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I had a seamaster built like that once. That thing is a pain in the ass! The long click spring is fairly easy. The circleclip thing is what sucks.

Glad you were able to work it out.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for those links KJ - it's always useful to have sources for decent inserts.

I do love your MOP Sub.

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Reactions: KJ2020

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
believe me, making mistakes in modding is how we ALL learn!
That's reassuring, as it does seem to be pretty much 100% of what my modding consists of...

Oh, and KJ2020 - I love your serti 16613 so much, I just bought one! :)

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That's reassuring, as it does seem to be pretty much 100% of what my modding consists of...

Oh, and KJ2020 - I love your serti 16613 so much, I just bought one! :)

I saw that Nembo had one, it didn't last long. Looks like a great piece and what a nice price!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I saw that Nembo had one, it didn't last long. Looks like a great piece and what a nice price!
Yes, it was meant to be - I’d been browsing the TDs for one just the day before Nembo’s bargain buy popped up!

Reactions: KJ2020

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
...and disassembling the movement because you forgot something.... few times....

And pressing keyless 0.00001mm too far after you carefully install dial and set hand dead on 12pm and now you have to take everything apart...

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Keyless is the most frustrating. You finnish everything hands are set you ready to put movement inside the case, you clean dial, inside of crystal spot less.... and boom.... Extra 20min of work.