• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Master II 126710 GenLN Bezel Install

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
I got this six-digit GMT Rep with that fake ceramic (metal) bezel insert from an unknown factory about 8 months ago. Thanks to ChinoWolf I found a partial gen LN bezel assembly (no “Trigonal” ring) and generic bezel gasket to mod it with.

Not having done any modding before, I read a lot but never found anything that addressed exactly this process. I have to thank KJ2020 for some advice along the way.

Six-Digit-GMT.png

Removing bezel was a total pain. Didn’t want to remove the insert first cause I wasn’t sure the gen would fit that case. Tried the bezel removal tool with no luck and then a Bergeon case back removal tool some success but bent the rep bezel in the process. It was that dang retaining wire that is used instead of a nylon bezel gasket like gen.

Bezel-Assembly.jpg

Now that bezel is off I found the “Trigonal” ring that came with the rep bezel had posts that did not fit the gen bezel. The rep ring has round posts and gen bezel takes oblong posts so I filed both sides of each post and got it to fit.

E17-E0053-E70-F-4-C8-F-8-F8-B-6-CBA8614526-F.jpg

For the generic bezel gasket, the trick is to tuck it into a groove inside the gen bezel. On first inspection it looks like there is no way that gasket will fit. However working it carefully into the groove of the gen bezel it will fit.

CB0-E0998-F78-C-4-B18-A7-B1-9584-B862-EE9-F.jpg

D11-DF89-A-51-E4-425-C-87-B6-0-FBC9-F0-B54-CD.jpg

This case (again unknown factory) will accept the gen bezel assembly but case groove is a little sloppy where the gasket will reside, so I wrapped the groove twice around with carefully cut electrical tape.

CD87075-B-86-C3-4-E51-96-EE-4811552-B0717.jpg

From there I just pressed the bezel with my hands onto the case. The notching is also a little sloppy but it stays in place surprisingly well.

D214269-E-6-F09-414-D-B0-D4-AAD679-E87012.jpg

You’ll notice the crack at 14-16 on bezel, the result of early thinking that I could reinstall the gen bezel with the retaining wire instead of an actual gasket. Total newby mistake but I’m happy with the way I was able to epoxy the broken piece back in place. On the wrist it’s marginally noticeable and I think it adds character…

Also for modding fun I brushed the center links on the bracelet to take down some of the flashliness that I’m just not fond of.

DC4-B8845-108-E-4499-9-BFD-FDCB6-EC411-C4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I did read this post before, must have gotten distracted before responding. Great job overall, improvising with the tape and the gasket. Those wire held bezels are a royal pain. You can easily damage your watch parts or even your bezel removal tool on one of those. I've gotten to where I just take the insert off first so I know for sure what I'm dealing with.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I like the old style look on the new model! Been wanting to do one like that, but I keep finding new combos to make. Looks good!

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
How does it turn? Is it pretty hard? That plastic gasket can get destroyed if you are not careful and they seem to be made to be used just once. I found that if you put the gasket onto the whole assembly and just press in...it makes a world of a difference and saves time. So hyrtle ring press in...assemble the whole bezel assembly on the side, leave ceramic bezel off, squeeze assembly in, and boom. Then install insert.

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
The bezel turns pretty easy though not crisp. I after cracking the insert early on I was too nervous to pry it out. The assembly goes on with an easy press. I’ve had the bezel off a couple of times and haven’t noticed any wearing of the gasket, guessing cause it’s not that tight.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
The bezel turns pretty easy though not crisp. I after cracking the insert early on I was too nervous to pry it out. The assembly goes on with an easy press. I’ve had the bezel off a couple of times and haven’t noticed any wearing of the gasket, guessing cause it’s not that tight.

Yes, correct. It's not that tight Thanks for your reply

Last edited:

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
The fishing line trick was too fiddley for me.

While a little hokey, the electrical tape in the case grove improved the sloppiness.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
The fishing line trick was too fiddley for me.

While a little hokey, the electrical tape in the case grove improved the sloppiness.

Nice, just crazy how its held by this little piece of plastic but..that's how they are made with the upt most specs down to the little tolerances.