• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fixing keyless works on 2836-2 with a glued on dial

Tader

3/5/15
Hey there guys,

So a couple months ago I bought a watch on m2m and got it and knew there was gonna be issues with it, but didn't figure it would be like this. There was issues with moving around the crown and finally the keyless works went out of wack. Went to remove the crown, and the button went to the other side. I know this can be a common issues with eta movements, so I wasn't too worried, I'd just reposition all the stuff and be done. So I take out the movement out of the watch, and then remove the housing screws, and to my surprise, the idiot guy who serviced it probably broke the hands on the dial and then glued it to the body.

So basically, the movement moves freely after taking off the securing screws and the dial stays in place not budging.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either how to get keyless back in order, or some way to get the dial off?

Also, what are the holes I pointed to in the second picture?

I'd really appreciate some help in this

QLDl3.jpg

QLuvb.jpg

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
I'm thinking the holes on the stabilizer ring you are pointing to are the dial feet holes. See those two larger screws with washers on the edge of the movement touching the stabilizer ring, unscrew them and the movement should drop out, pretty sure the dial is secured to the ring.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Hey, I figure you're right, this looks like a problem you have here, but I'm confused - waddaya mean when you say' movin' round the crown' ?

And you're sayin' you whacked the guy, 'cause he moved over to the other side , so you mean he became like a fairy or sumtin' ?

And then there's this service guy broke the other guys hands and glued them to the body . . . that's fuckin' sick - sounds like Big Momo's work to me.

You got issues here buddy, that's for sure - reposition this stuff my ass - I was you buddy, I'd get some of the guys together, with some bats, pay him a fuckin visit.

Anyway, fuggedabout that shit for the now.

Lets talk 'bout the issues you're having.

The holes in the movement ring is what's holding the fuckin' dial in place - the fuckin' dial feet are in those holes - you get it ?

Those screws you see on the outside of the steel ring, they need to be removed so the dial can be removed. Simple. Takeout the screws, push on the feet if needed, and woila, you got that fuckin' goomba where you want him.

Reactions: Rx4Time and KJ2020

Tader

3/5/15
I'm thinking the holes on the stabilizer ring you are pointing to are the dial feet holes. See those two larger screws with washers on the edge of the movement touching the stabilizer ring, unscrew them and the movement should drop out, pretty sure the dial is secured to the ring.

Wish it was that easy. Sadly no screws on the side. I'll upload a video of part of situation in a little bit.

Tader

3/5/15
Hey, I figure you're right, this looks like a problem you have here, but I'm confused - waddaya mean when you say' movin' round the crown' ?

And you're sayin' you whacked the guy, 'cause he moved over to the other side , so you mean he became like a fairy or sumtin' ?

And then there's this service guy broke the other guys hands and glued them to the body . . . that's fuckin' sick - sounds like Big Momo's work to me.

You got issues here buddy, that's for sure - reposition this stuff my ass - I was you buddy, I'd get some of the guys together, with some bats, pay him a fuckin visit.

Anyway, fuggedabout that shit for the now.

Lets talk 'bout the issues you're having.

The holes in the movement ring is what's holding the fuckin' dial in place - the fuckin' dial feet are in those holes - you get it ?

Those screws you see on the outside of the steel ring, they need to be removed so the dial can be removed. Simple. Takeout the screws, push on the feet if needed, and woila, you got that fuckin' goomba where you want him.

Well basically, the crown issues I was having was that the crown would sometimes pull out (not all the way) and not be engaged with any of the mechanisms, so wouldn't change the day/date or time. Didn't always feel like it was spinning loosely either. So I thought I'd take off the dial to make sure everything was aligned properly, which is when I ran into the problem of the button to release the crown disappearing and I'm guessing just added to the issues that are happening on the other side. I didn't actually push the button that hard, so I'm guessing it was just something that was gonna happen regardless. Just wish it would go back to its wonky self from before, haha.

Here's a video showing a bit of the situation preventing me from getting to the real problems. Sadly no screws on the side, so I think that originally the dial was supposed to be attached to the movement and then just lift off.

https://youtu.be/Cg2O0KJKHQY

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It's normal on a rep daydate for the dial to be attached to the movement ring and not the movement because the daywheel covers the entire movement under the dial and blocks the normally used dial feet holes on the movement.

Your dial is attached to the movement ring in this normal for daydate fashion, you can see the dial feet in the feet holes in the ring that you asked about.

Find a properly sized solid rod and try to push the dial feet up from under the movement ring. There would be no reason for someone to glue the dial to the movement ring, it would add no benefit. It is probably just very snug. Once there is a gap beneath the dial, gently pry it up with a small screwdriver, alternating sides til it lifts free.

Dial feet are about .02mm, if you have some small drill bits you can get a perfect match. Or use a toothpick, sanded down if necessary.

15384498186660.jpg

15384498187661.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In a setup like this, more often you see a single long movement clamp holding both the movement and the movement ring to the case. It looks to me like those screws and washers on the movement are either just "filler" covering the movement case clamp screw holes, or were meant to hold the movement and the movement ring together, which is necessary.

Obviously it's not working, so if this were mine after resetting the keyless works I would either get longer case clamps and anchor both the movement and the movement ring to the case together as one, or add extra case clamps to the movement where those screws are to anchor the movement to the movement ring.

15384520088383.jpg

15384520087522.jpg

Last edited:

Tader

3/5/15
In a setup like this, more often you see a single long movement clamp holding both the movement and the movement ring to the case. It looks to me like those screws and washers on the movement are either just "filler" covering the movement case clamp screw holes, or were meant to hold the movement and the movement ring together, which is necessary.

Obviously it's not working, so if this were mine after resetting the keyless works I would either get longer case clamps and anchor both the movement and the movement ring to the case together as one, or add extra case clamps to the movement where those screws are to anchor the movement to the movement ring.

15384520088383.jpg

15384520087522.jpg

Thanks so much for all the helpful information! You've relieved a lot of stress.

'll post back here tomorrow and update how it went.

Reactions: KJ2020

Testone72

Renowned Member
8/3/18
Well basically, the crown issues I was having was that the crown would sometimes pull out (not all the way) and not be engaged with any of the mechanisms, so wouldn't change the day/date or time. Didn't always feel like it was spinning loosely either. So I thought I'd take off the dial to make sure everything was aligned properly, which is when I ran into the problem of the button to release the crown disappearing and I'm guessing just added to the issues that are happening on the other side. I didn't actually push the button that hard, so I'm guessing it was just something that was gonna happen regardless. Just wish it would go back to its wonky self from before, haha.

Here's a video showing a bit of the situation preventing me from getting to the real problems. Sadly no screws on the side, so I think that originally the dial was supposed to be attached to the movement and then just lift off.

https://youtu.be/Cg2O0KJKHQY

Hello, i think that the movement can be rotate freely, because you have removed the two big screw with the under waschers, but it doesn't pop out most probably because the inner diameter of the ring is bigger than the outer diameter of the movement..
Your best way as many have advise you, is to push gently the two dial feet from bottom, than as soon as the dial moves a little, try with a screwdriver between the dial and movement on both sides, now you should be able to lift it..

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Tader

3/5/15
KJ2020

So it turns out it was glued in there for some weird reason! But those were the correct holes, and I pushed them out without too much worries. Managed to take apart the watch and fixed the keyless works. Now my only struggle at this point is getting the day wheel back on. I noticed you have one there, do you have any suggestions on how to reattach it? As well as how to reapply the C washer that goes on top.

I noticed the back has different shapes to it, but am not sure how it is supposed to go on, and there don't seem to be any similar guides that I can find online.

Thanks!

CzgRe.jpg

Tader

3/5/15
So I managed to get it all back together, and it seems to be having issues with changing the day/date at midnight. Suggestions on what causes that?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So I managed to get it all back together, and it seems to be having issues with changing the day/date at midnight. Suggestions on what causes that?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, glad to see you got the daywheel back on, they can be a little fiddly. To get the day/date to change at midnight, you will have to reset the hands. What I do is set the time forward until the day/date change occurs. Then just remove the hands and reset them to 12 o'clock. I usually just put one hand on at a time and check the change. Get the hour hand right, rotate 24 hours, then reset the minute hand, check again. If the change has already occurred when you reset the minute hand, you can place it about 30 secs after midnight and next time around it should change close to midnight. Adjust as you feel necessary. I don't care much if it's a couple minutes either way.