• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So, yeah I f*cked up and dropped my ARF SD43

borkuz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/11/17
Hi,

So today I dropped my ARD SD43. it dropped right on the crown and now the crown screw on thingy in the casing broke inside my crown.

Is it possible to order the parts and have it repaired/repair is myself.

Any help is welcome!

pictures of the carnage can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/FD9yNIQ

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
broken tube, if you have not done this before, it can be a bit tricky.....to get parts will be a problem as far as I know....the new TD on the block on RG and RWG claims he can source parts....look for mr Timezone

greenfishlamp

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/6/18
That sucks, PM to sell it to me. I'll pay you a fair price and you can avoid the headache with a watchsmith/parts and buy yourself a new one.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The tube has snapped off at the base, part of it is still in the case, the other part is inside the crown.

You'll need a new crown and a new tube, and getting the snapped part out of the case will not be easy.

You may as well get a gen crown and an aftermarket tube, getting an ARF crown and tube from a TD may not be possible.

borkuz

7/11/17
Anyone got any tips to remove the tube part that is still in the case? Of do I have to drill it out and rethread it to fit the the new tube in? Any help is welcome

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Anyone got any tips to remove the tube part that is still in the case? Of do I have to drill it out and rethread it to fit the the new tube in? Any help is welcome

Remove the movement from the case, put the case in a vise, take a triangle or square cross section rat tail file and tap it into the tube hole with a small hammer in till it 'bites' onto the tube. Use a pair of pliers to grip the file and unscrew the tube.

Last edited:
Reactions: borkuz and KJ2020

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
Had a tube break off trying to remove it for this same watch. ARF tubes are weak. I tried tripdog method first but did not work needed more bite. You can try to heat a bit as they used a thread locker on it. If that doesn’t work use an easy out. Worked perfectly for me.
e3c5188d4f7f0d3f120d51b4a324a698.jpg

Reactions: borkuz and KJ2020

greenfishlamp

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/6/18
Easy fix, any competent watch smith should be able to do it. I was only trying to take advantage of the situation for my own benefit.

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07

If you are in the US send it over I’ll take care of it for you.

borkuz

7/11/17
Pelagic thanks for the help, ordered the right tools so I think I will be able to fix it myself. I'm from the Netherlands, bit thanks for the offer! Realy appreciate all the help on this forum!

borkuz

7/11/17
So, just to be sure...
These are the parts i need, right?
Crown: 24-704-0
Case tude: 24-7030-0

Only need a the part number of the stem, or can i get any cheap 2824 stem from aliexpress or some other site?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
So, just to be sure...
These are the parts i need, right?
Crown: 24-704-0
Case tude: 24-7030-0

Only need a the part number of the stem, or can i get any cheap 2824 stem from aliexpress or some other site?

Yes, that's correct - but make sure you buy a tube, not a tude.

Use the stem that's on the damaged crown - buy a new one and you'll have to cut it to the right length - hold the stem in the jaws of a small set of pincers, very carefully unscrew the old crown from the stem, without taking the stem from the pincers, screw on the new crown - it must be seated firmly, but do it carefully as stems are very fragile.

Reactions: borkuz