• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick and dirty Datewheel Overlay adjustment 2836-2

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You have to remove the movement from the case, then remove the hands and the dial.

You can google removing the stem, movement and hands easily enough.

This is what the datewheel looked like from the factory - date sitting too high.

15313579656790.jpg

To get the dial off, you need to pry out these scythe like hooks and lift the dial off.

15313591877470.jpg

I marked the overlay and the original datewheel to give me a starting point for shifting the overlay.

15313581696124.jpg

Gently use a razor blade to separate the DWO.

15313579657551.jpg

Clean off the old glue from the underside of the DWO and on top of the original DW.

15313581027000.jpg

15313579657892.jpg

Rotate the DWO slightly and set the dial back on to test placement. This is all trial and error. Once you have the optimal spot, take note (or remark) the new position.

15313584238950.jpg

Glue the DWO back on in the new position. I use BSI 30 min slow cure epoxy. I have used GS Crystal Hypo Cement but it hardens quickly leaving little chance for adjustment. DO NOT use super glue, due to off gassing. It can leave a residue under the crystal.

Check that your dates look good, and reassemble.

15313581027872.jpg

15313581695793.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Super helpful thread man! You make it sound so easy, its a pain in the arse! Probably help if i had better hand removers that dont bend them all whilst removing though :( thanks for making the guide

Reactions: KJ2020

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Sorry to revive an old post but i had a quick question.
Could Clear Gorilla Glue or Gorilla Epoxy work to glue the overlay on the datewheel?
Gorilla Epoxy tends to foam up when drying so I’m a little hesitant. I’m not sure if the BSI EPOXY you used does the same or not. As for the Clear Gorilla Glue, I’m don’t think it is the same as super glue but still not sure if it will gas.
Thanks

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
Could Clear Gorilla Glue or Gorilla Epoxy work to glue the overlay on the datewheel?
Gorilla Epoxy tends to foam up when drying so I’m a little hesitant. I’m not sure if the BSI EPOXY you used does the same or not. As for the Clear Gorilla Glue, I’m don’t think it is the same as super glue but still not sure if it will gas.
Thanks

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks
BSI epoxy does not foam and gives a really long time to make adjustments. Its the best thing I've found to use and no need to look elsewhere IMO. I use 8 tiny ribbons and it works every time.

bXKLP.jpg

bX3GJ.jpg

Gen or Gen-spec DW as a DWO

Reactions: mrsullivan

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
BSI epoxy does not foam and gives a really long time to make adjustments. Its the best thing I've found to use and no need to look elsewhere IMO. I use 8 tiny ribbons and it works every time.

bXKLP.jpg

bX3GJ.jpg

Gen or Gen-spec DW as a DWO

Thanks for the quick response!

BSI EPOXY isn’t available in my country but I could find a 4-5min epoxy, which i’m wondering might work. Otherwise, i might try the Clear Gorilla Glue.

I should figure out what ingredient in superglue causes the off gassing so i can avoid that.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the quick response!

BSI EPOXY isn’t available in my country but I could find a 4-5min epoxy, which i’m wondering might work. Otherwise, i might try the Clear Gorilla Glue.

I should figure out what ingredient in superglue causes the off gassing so i can avoid that.

If you really want all the numbers to be properly centered in the date window you need a 30 min epoxy. In the link I posted above, I show in detail how I use the actual dial and flip through most dates after each tweak.

Sometimes I get lucky, but there is really only a very narrow range of positions that a DWO can occupy and be acceptable for all dates. Fixing one number moves every single other number too so it's a hit and miss trial and error task that can take a dozen tweaks or more. Also if the glue starts to dry it can begin anchoring in position so that even if you move it a little and think you just nailed it, it can move back on its own to its anchored spot and cure there.

Reactions: trust_wrx

Alexandermertens

Looking Around
1/8/23
Belgium
Hi all

Anyone any advice on fixing the date wheel?
It seems to be broke / numbers overlapping.

Full new movement or replace date wheel as authentic as possible?
(Think this movement is an ETA 2824-(y)2, could this be?)

Have had it for over 5 years, still works perfectly

Thx A

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Looks like the datewheel overlay came loose and needs to be glued back on. I would recommend not to change the date in this condition to avoid the datewheel overlay to get scratched, as tolerances are unclear at this stage.

A skilled watch repair person should be able to fix this easily.

Reactions: Hor-Fan