• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[STRIPPED CROWN THREADS] ZF IWC 3777-09 - not sure where to start

WatchEsq123

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/17
So, after only a few short months with this watch, I somehow managed to strip the crown threads. The crown absolutely will not catch when trying to screw it in, no matter what, there's nothing left there. I've tried all the tricks, backing the crown out, reversing it, etc, but there's nothing left. I originally thought the whole watch was junked, but after doing some research it looks like the threads are on the crown and crown tube, and not on the case itself.

Are there any vendors (CONUS) and/or watch smiths (ALSO CONUS) who can supply the parts for or make such repairs? I am located in South Florida, if that helps. Not sure where to start - I really love this watch, and I'd like to try and get it fixed if I can.

Also.......any harm in just wearing the watch like this? The crown sticks out maybe 1-1.5 MM and I don't think really interacts with my wrist.

Thanks in advance!!

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I have never fixed this exact problem on a watch, but I have fixed that problem in other threaded items. If it were me I would fix it. I don't think it would be a difficult job at all assuming you have the tools.

There are several known watchsmiths on here that will fix it. I'm quite certain I could do it, but I am not in this business.

As far as wearing it goes, I wouldn't as lots of bad things could happen. If you are careful it will be fine, but the way it is it is much easier to get water in the watch and you could break off the stem/crown and lose the crown. A much less severe issue is with the crown like that it would be easy for the time to accidentally get changed.

AC_Slater

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/10/20
Los Angeles
Just had mine strip too, really annoying since I’ve only worn it 5-10 times. Anyone able to get theirs fixed?

viper420

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/12
Correct way to fix the problem is to replace the tube. Cheap way to do this is to removed the crown and stem from the case and ever so gently put a bit of pressure on the tube with a set of pliers, have done this before and it worked for a few years (do at your own risk).