• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Repairing your own Reps

52degrees

Vendor (Watch Repair UK)
Vendor (Watch Repair)
8/3/20
UK
A rare post from me I know, but I'm seeing more and more issues with reps caused by well intentioned owners attempting to fix their own watches and they are causing me quite a few issues.

Now Im all for people trying to fix their watches, and reps are obviously worth a lot less than their gen counterparts, and certainly a more viable candidate to begin your exploration into the watch repairing world than a 6k Rolex, but I just want people to be aware that sometimes the damage they do can be irreparable. I just want everyone to understand the risk to the watch when working on it yourself, literally what is quite an easy fix for someone that knows what they are doing (me), can quickly turn into the end of the watch if the damage caused is severe enough at inexperienced hands.

Dont get me wrong, everyone is more than entitled to do whatever they like with their own watch, I just want to make you aware of the risks. This can be even more of a problem because of the lack of parts availability, like the 3235 Rolex rep, which is the latest one Ive had an issue with. If you break a part, replacing it could be nearly impossible, or very difficult at least.

So my latest find, as I said is with a 3235. The watch has arrived with me as it only runs in certain positions - it doesn't take me long to work out why. And running in certain positions is generous, the watch is barely running at all in reality, as shown on the timegrapher.

I suppose there is a slight chance it left the factory like this, and id never put anything past them, but Ive never seen this before from the factories - if others have then Ill stand corrected, but this is just one example.

Below is an image of the watch in question, a 3235. The problem area is the balance.

Zoomed in shot of the balance. The purple bit in the middle is the shock setting, usually a spring holds this in place - not this one. This has been glued, there's glue everywhere! You can see all the glue round it in the image. This is a critical part to the running of the watch and an issue here is likely to have quite dire consequences to the good running of it. Just for good measure the hairspring has also been given a tweak and is no longer as it should be. This watch is never going to run like this, or keep any sort of decent time anyway. In my opinion this watch is now beyond repair for a rep - unless a new balance complete can be sourced.

All I'm really saying is be careful, you could ruin your watch by attempting to fix it, if you want to take that risk then by all means go for it, but I know that some of these reps aren't cheap so just be careful.

What Im going to have to do is start making a small charge even if the watch is returned undone, Im losing too much time looking at these watches, repackaging them and posting them back only for the cost of postage.

Dont take this post the wrong way, im not saying don't work on your watches, just understand the risks involved :)

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Thank you for the insightful post.
That said, I would expect, if I shipped such a watch to you to evaluate it, you'd charge me at least 100 quid for your efforts, yes?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
A rare post from me I know, but I'm seeing more and more issues with reps caused by well intentioned owners attempting to fix their own watches and they are causing me quite a few issues.

Now Im all for people trying to fix their watches, and reps are obviously worth a lot less than their gen counterparts, and certainly a more viable candidate to begin your exploration into the watch repairing world than a 6k Rolex, but I just want people to be aware that sometimes the damage they do can be irreparable. I just want everyone to understand the risk to the watch when working on it yourself, literally what is quite an easy fix for someone that knows what they are doing (me), can quickly turn into the end of the watch if the damage caused is severe enough at inexperienced hands.

Dont get me wrong, everyone is more than entitled to do whatever they like with their own watch, I just want to make you aware of the risks. This can be even more of a problem because of the lack of parts availability, like the 3235 Rolex rep, which is the latest one Ive had an issue with. If you break a part, replacing it could be nearly impossible, or very difficult at least.

So my latest find, as I said is with a 3235. The watch has arrived with me as it only runs in certain positions - it doesn't take me long to work out why. And running in certain positions is generous, the watch is barely running at all in reality, as shown on the timegrapher.

I suppose there is a slight chance it left the factory like this, and id never put anything past them, but Ive never seen this before from the factories - if others have then Ill stand corrected, but this is just one example.

Below is an image of the watch in question, a 3235. The problem area is the balance.

Zoomed in shot of the balance. The purple bit in the middle is the shock setting, usually a spring holds this in place - not this one. This has been glued, there's glue everywhere! You can see all the glue round it in the image. This is a critical part to the running of the watch and an issue here is likely to have quite dire consequences to the good running of it. Just for good measure the hairspring has also been given a tweak and is no longer as it should be. This watch is never going to run like this, or keep any sort of decent time anyway. In my opinion this watch is now beyond repair for a rep - unless a new balance complete can be sourced.

All I'm really saying is be careful, you could ruin your watch by attempting to fix it, if you want to take that risk then by all means go for it, but I know that some of these reps aren't cheap so just be careful.

What Im going to have to do is start making a small charge even if the watch is returned undone, Im losing too much time looking at these watches, repackaging them and posting them back only for the cost of postage.

Dont take this post the wrong way, im not saying don't work on your watches, just understand the risks involved :)

You should charge inspection fee buddy.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
The missing paraflex spring gen part number is 0912-115-2

https://watchguy.co.uk/tmp/Rolex 3156.pdf

I haven't seen an aftermarket equivalent anywhere yet, like the previous generation KIF springs.

https://www.watchmaterial.com/rolex-3135-3155-3185/

Here's an Ebay listing for the whole shock block

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304146883581

Thing is balance has glue on it too... Try to clean glue from the spring ... so probably whole new balance is needed. And there are no rep available. Gen ones goes for 600$.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
If the budget allows a gen balance and bridge is a brilliant solution. The two I’ve done in vs3235s run perfectly.

I have also found the vs3235’s balance to be somewhat unstable. I was cautioned about this from a known watchmaker and sure enough it happened to me twice. But the installation of gen parts was a solid fix.

I’m a self taught amateur watchmaker.

Reactions: Oascom

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Won’t he only be able to use the spring?

The insetting is different than the rep insetting.

I can't say firsthand as I haven't done this but I have taken balances apart. The parts look the same to me. The whole shock block, cap jewel, and spring is removable and replaceable on the balance assembly.

One dip might dissolve the glue. If not, some carefully brushed acetone should do it with a tiny artist's brush, then one dip to rinse.

jizT53.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchSmith.US

52degrees

Vendor (Watch Repair UK)
Vendor (Watch Repair)
8/3/20
UK
Many thanks for the suggestions for parts etc guys but that wasn't really the point of the post. I do this as a full time job and realistically this watch isn't going to be repaired (by me anyway) when you take into account the cost of the watch versus the cost of parts and my time to repair this, Oascom is right, there is also glue all over the balance and some on the hairspring too. If time and money is no object then Im sure it can be done, my point was just for people to be aware of damage that can be caused to a movement by people working on it that don't know what they are doing.

Reactions: kswiss1900

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
You are 100% right, I had avoided this until now but really it is the only option.

An inspection fee that is taken off the repair/service price assuming it goes ahead thereafter perhaps (for those who don't feck with their watches before sending to you)?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Sorry i drifted off topic and your warning is a valid one indeed.