• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SEL Swap - DIY

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
SEL Swap - DIY

So you aren’t happy with your SELs for whatever reason and you have a better set you want to swap in. In this example, the build I’m doing is better suited to a hollow end link (HEL) so this is how to swap them out.

Here is the beast you need. You can spend a LOT for one of these, like around $400 but often you can get them on Ali Express for much less. That’s where I got mine and it’s plenty heavy duty with no signs of cheapness.

j2H3nI.jpg

If you just use one of these OOTB, you can scar up your links, sometimes beyond easy repair so a tip I read about somewhere is to place little squares of 600 grit sandpaper on the jaws. This not only protects the links but helps the jaws grip them without slipping. It’s best not to use any tape or glue under the sandpaper squares - that can make them slide. It’s a little tedious placing them but tolerable if you use tweezers and so worth the trouble.
j2Hzh4.jpg

This can happen without the sandpaper squares. You DON’T want this on the top of the links.
j2HAXb.jpg

Here are the two bracelet pieces getting their end links swapped.
j2H5W5.jpg

Set the links that are to be separated in the jaws.
j2HhZX.jpg

Note that the jaws have to be moved outward slightly so they don’t bite down on the SEL. This would not only ruin the SEL but would keep the jaws from being clamped down sufficiently.
j2Houn.jpg

This isn’t a factor when removing the HEL connecting link.
j2HyJD.jpg

Time to turn the crank and yank them bitches apart.
j2HYdY.jpg

j2HUQF.jpg

On this hollow link bracelet, the link pins had individual tubes.
j2HZfj.jpg

Time to do the switcheroo
j2H9Wk.jpg

Put your new end link piece (or SEL) in position between some wood strips in a vice and press the pieces together. Easy peazy!
j2HLxp.jpg

j2HmnE.jpg

j2Hi22.jpg

Brush up your pieces a little with some green Scotchbrite or other choice product and Voila, new end links of your choice ready to go!
j2H2Ii.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy modding!

explorer888

Getting To Know The Place
19/10/18
Great job and looks amazing! I would like to know what stuff you use to secure the sandpaper square to the jaw instead of tape or glue?

H S

Smuggler
Supporter
Certified
10/6/21
USA
Another great tutorial, bro! With all of the mods and builds that you do, you must have balls of steel. My end result would look like a kindergartner's art project.

Reactions: KJ2020

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
13/3/16
Excellent tutorial KJ. This tool can be the answer to SEL woes, and it’s not often an AliExpress tool exceeds my expectations, but this one did. Beautifully machined and all surfaces precision ground. It’s a beauty and it works perfectly.

Thanks again bro. Very well done.

didjital7

Renowned Member
30/1/21
....and yank them bitches apart.

I actually laughed out loud for real when I read that:p

Oascom

Respected Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
Great tutorial buddy,

Lowest i found those (all three tools jubilee and oyster + closing tool) was 580$