• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VRF vs. Gen 116710LN GMT - quick review

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
VRF vs. Gen 116710LN GMT - quick review

Guys, here is a very quick comparison between the new VRF case / bracelet to my gen GMT

My impressions:

Bezel: turns aweful compared to gen and definitely needs a replacement. Gen is smooth and nice rotation while rep is very strong and feels like it’s rubbing all the time on the retaining ring. Maybe it’s just because I know how the gen operates but I couldn’t live with this.

Insert: completely wrong numbers as per pictures. Bezel diameter seems more perfect than gen - see measurements. Lol.

SELs: although both have a little gap between lugs, the gen is more even - didn’t notice this on my gen before, however its even there and way more perfect, while rep has uneven gaps and they are way more obvious. Not that you can see through but SEL looks misaligned all the time.

Lug sice: tried to fit an ARF Daytona bracelet and it worked quiet well (although end link was wrong then). Tried to fit a Noob Daytona bracelet and it didn’t fit because Noob was wider than the lug size. Not sure if this applies for GMT bracelets as well.

Clasp: VRF has a nice alignment of flip lock but overall clasp operates way too strong if you try to open and close it.

Links: not smooth, total opposite of gen, maybe after WD-40 bath this might be better. Complete bracelet feels very stiff.

Case: CGs look nice. Lugs are shaped quiet well but they are still thicker than gen. Also total heights is wider than gen - maybe just because of crystal gasket.

Tube: was able to mount a gen crown but there is no gap between case and crown then anymore.

Overall, I cannot say that this one of the best OOB rep. Maybe the case is a good base to start a franken (what I will do most likely). And maybe the movement (which I don’t have) would be worth buying it. But definitely not the bracelet, nor the bezel... Just my thoughts...

Sorry, pics are little mixed. Don’t know why postimage can’t upload proper sequences... VRF is without dial and movement. Gen is complete.

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
Thanks for the comparison ! Do you happen to know why the VRF case is higher than the Rolex (Caseback, crystal sitting too high..) ?

Reactions: mega12

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Nice OP, looking at this I’d say ARF is the way to go if you want to wear out the box, be good to see one against your gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks for the comparison ! Do you happen to know why the VRF case is higher than the Rolex (Caseback, crystal sitting too high..) ?

Yeah probably. I will try to measure the case only later this evening. But I thinks it’s the crystal gasket as mentioned above

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Nice OP, looking at this I’d say ARF is the way to go if you want to wear out the box, be good to see one against your gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see the ARF in live to compare with my gen. From pictures only I was always saying that ARF seems closer. Maybe I can get my hands on one in future

Reactions: jcher

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Bezel diameter seems more perfect than gen? LOL take notes R factory!

Great review mate, very helpful!

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Bezel diameter seems more perfect than gen? LOL take notes R factory!

Great review mate, very helpful!

Yeah I was laughing as well ;)
Because we guys always want to make the reps perfect, while gen isn’t perfect either
For instance:
-bezel diameter is also not exact 40mm
-rehaut coronet is not aligned exactly on 12 hour marker
-sels/lugs have very little gap

The major difference to rep and gen is the finish of each detail. A gen feels way more perfect than a rep feels. How everything operates, how the bracelet behaves, how the bezel rotates. Everything is smooth while rep has many issues with this

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Bezels are only off by .02mm though right? Not too shabby considering everything. Eager to see the case height difference without the crystal being measured, I too think the crystal is causing the heights to vary between the two (almost 1mm). Can you measure the distance between the lugs on gen as you did with VRF as well?

Thanks again mate, you are a gift to this hobby!

Reactions: opus42

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Bezels are only off by .02mm though right? Not too shabby considering everything. Eager to see the case height difference without the crystal being measured, I too think the crystal is causing the heights to vary between the two (almost 1mm). Can you measure the distance between the lugs on gen as you did with VRF as well?

Thanks again mate, you are a gift to this hobby!

Will check once I’m back at home
Don’t want to dismantle anything from my gen but will try to measure as much as possible

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
Yeah I was laughing as well ;)
Because we guys always want to make the reps perfect, while gen isn’t perfect either
For instance:
-bezel diameter is also not exact 40mm
-rehaut coronet is not aligned exactly on 12 hour marker
-sels/lugs have very little gap

The major difference to rep and gen is the finish of each detail. A gen feels way more perfect than a rep feels. How everything operates, how the bracelet behaves, how the bezel rotates. Everything is smooth while rep has many issues with this

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

wow always interesting to hear about these “flaws” in gens!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
The reason the band end link are wrong is because they used the 97200 and just polished the mid links. The ARF used better bracelet. More to the real 78200. Great review. Thanks.

I agree I just want the mid case. I plan on making everything with just the VRF case and maybe the movement. Still on the fence. I still have to build up the ARF watch. The VRF bezel sucks. Bad. Not rolex design but similar and very tight. Also crystal ring and gasket not the right size.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Just tried to measure lug sizes on both.
I don’t want to remove anything from my gen because I hate scratches over there ;)

As far as I can apply same technique to both, it seems that lug sizes are very similar between both, gen and VRF. No matter what I do, it varies between 19.72 and around 19.82 on both. So I would conclude that they are really identical in terms of lug size

748fd2810690d06cf333d66916f0ae9c.jpg

aa80af0b3156ecaa0a779626e7ba870f.jpg

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
I think case has same heights than gen
It looks like it’s the case back which is „higher“ than the gen. If I measure case only, both had same size. Look

8e1beb50565eae9787fb5e99837acd77.jpg

3d64e678e0bb49491f78d3d087ecd581.jpg

3864017d1a39f017ab75e8872e69f084.jpg

fc05d56982023ed7cd719983f15aef0b.jpg

61bbca48db86b7a563f3122ea6b3d579.jpg

Reactions: beanvatan

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
The reason the band end link are wrong is because they used the 97200 and just polished the mid links. The ARF used better bracelet. More to the real 78200. Great review. Thanks.

I agree I just want the mid case. I plan on making everything with just the VRF case and maybe the movement. Still on the fence. I still have to build up the ARF watch. The VRF bezel sucks. Bad. Not rolex design but similar and very tight. Also crystal ring and gasket not the right size.

Yeah I noticed this with the bands as well.
I think I need an ARF. But you are right, the case seems quiet good. I think I will go with the VR movement as well.

My plan:
VRF case
VR3135 movement
ARF clasp
DSxtal
Gen green 3186 date disc
Gen green Everest band
Gen dial green SL
Gen Hands green SL
Gen Bezel Assembly
Gen Crown (need to check issue with tube gap)

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Yeah I noticed this with the bands as well.
I think I need an ARF. But you are right, the case seems quiet good. I think I will go with the VR movement as well.

My plan:
VRF case
VR3135 movement
ARF clasp
DSxtal
Gen green 3186 date disc
Gen green Everest band
Gen dial green SL
Gen Hands green SL
Gen Bezel Assembly
Gen Crown (need to check issue with tube gap)

cool super-franken project!

My "cheap" project will be:
ARF case
ARF bracelet
ARF bezel
VRF Movement
VRF Dial
VRF Hands
Gen DW
Gen Crystal
(Maybe Gen Crystal)

Reactions: Rufctr2 and mega12

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
cool super-franken project!

My "cheap" project will be:
ARF case
ARF bracelet
ARF bezel
VRF Movement
VRF Dial
VRF Hands
Gen DW
Gen Crystal
(Maybe Gen Crystal)

Also nice. Did not touch the ARF yet but if bezel is better in terms of rotation etc I think this will be a very good way to go as well.
I‘m having 80% of parts already, so I should give it a try ;)

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Ok, don’t think it’s the case back.
Measured without touching case back and it’s still a difference. So maybe it’s the crystal gasket

7ea4f86a399dac48b37fe63143922cf7.jpg

087654257f7dbc2ec1081192f18bc241.jpg