• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SpongeBob bezel mod

Bryce Carlson

Looking Around
I purchased a Noob Daytona panda V2.2 model 116500 this past March from a TD, and overall the watch has been great. The movement is solid (accurate to within +/- 4 secs/day), the chrono features work perfectly, the SEL's have a nice tight fit, and the fit and finish of the case and bracelet are very close to gen quality. Other than a few very tiny font issues on the dial* (e.g. the serifs on the bezel R's) the watch, inside and out, is 1:1 and NWBIG -- except for one thing: the platinum-colored paint that fills the numerals on the ceramic bezel is just too dark and flat looking, not at all like the gen. This really bothered me because it's a dead giveaway on the wrist for anyone familiar with the genuine Rolex Daytona (which has the bezel numerals filled with real platinum). I lived with it for a while, then finally decided to fix the issue once and for all. So, based on the positive reviews of others, I mailed the bezel to SpongeBob (Steve Huang) in Taiwan to have him do his famous SpongeBob mod to the ceramic bezel of my Daytona. Steve cleans and removes the old paint from the bezel, chamfers the edges of the numerals (like on the gen), and then using the same PVD process as Rolex fills the numerals with real platinum. The result is night and day, and I couldn't be happier. The numerals now look brighter, exactly like the gen, and they also slightly sparkle in sunlight, again, just like the gen. This mod is not cheap ($195 plus shipping), but, for me, it was well worth it. Steve does very professional work, and he's responsive and easy to work with. I highly recommend him.

* Since corrected w/V3

Last edited:

Bigcity777

31/7/19
US / Closing deals
20191115_154430133494c10cfaa485.jpg

20191115_1543340c1e9618df61ac9e.jpg

Heres some pics of the SPONGEBOB insert on my VRF 116610lv With the VR3135 movement .. I have his custom bezel insert mod on every one of my reps with ceramic inserts and I'm getting ready to have him make custom inserts for both my noob yachtmaster 116622 904l watches as well...

:drinks_cheers:

Last edited: