• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bell&Ross BR02 Carbon Review

rangers158

Known Member
12/4/06
Here is a little review on the latest 1:1 BR02 PVD coating. This watch is a new range of instrument watches from Bell&Ross following the tremendous success of its instrument siblings BR01 and BR03. Its shape departs from the distinct square Bell&Ross shape we all come to love. That is because it is a diver and not a aviator watch. After many unsuccessful attempts of replicating a decent BR02, the popularity of the lower end models previously released has probably helped the factory to make up its mind on getting something decent out.

The stainless steel version came out first but it suffered from a lack of AR. This version is the latest and it has really good AR this time round. Perhaps, this version is from another factory. First off here is a photo of the gen.

br-02-carbon.jpg

Initially, I really dislike the look as the case is too rounded and I thought is just looks funny. However, after trying on the gen at the AD, it really grew on me. The spirit of the instrument range of its previous Bell&Ross is retained with its matt black and bold numbering on the dials. Moreover, the picture of the diver with the BR02 is simply brillant and that totally sold the watch for me.

23042.jpg

Now lets move on to the rep. The overall feeling of the watch feels very gen right down to the PVD. The texture of the PVD is spot on. Is it not a coincidence that the Breitling Skyland Blacksteel has very gen like PVD or rather DLC? Maybe the factory has bought new capabilities to do this right finally. They should release a PVD Panerai and I cannot wait to see how good it will be. From the front, the only things that do not look quite right are the screws. The front screws are shiny and not PVD like the gen.
IMG_0924.jpg

Look no crystal!
IMG_0925.jpg

Great Dial. Lume is shiny and dial printing is sharp.
IMG_0934.jpg

Side of the case
IMG_0926.jpg

Look at the orange He valve. This time they got it right.
IMG_0943.jpg

Crowns look weird though. Engraving could be deeper and not sure if the entire top is supposed to be polished.
IMG_0928.jpg

Great crown guard. The tip is a little sharp though.
IMG_0933.jpg

Back of the watch
IMG_0930.jpg

AR Shot. AR is as good as the HBB
IMG_0929.jpg

Lets open it up. The movement is supposed to be swiss. How is it swiss? It is nickel plated compared to gold plates on the asian. The winding and setting time and such are smoother. However, if you ask me, I think it is not really swiss. There are no eta engravings and finishing swirl although looked finer is still rough compared to my gen watches.
IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

There is a anti-magnetic cap as well.
IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Now lets move on to the straps. Rubber is anti-dust and feels soft. From the pics, you can see it does not disappoint here.
IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

Buckle is PVD to the same as the case.
IMG_0945.jpg

Last but not least. Lume. Great rep lume is what you get. Not fab compared to superlume but it is certainly one of the best rep lume around. Exposure is 1 sec.
Shot before the lights goes out...
IMG_0936.jpg

Shine baby shine!
IMG_0937.jpg

Conclusion: This is a must buy for B&R fans. Absolutely the best BR rep around now. Quality is outstanding and visually the most accurate. Most BR01 have bad dials (Bell&Ross wordings not centered). BR03 case is too thick. So you have it, the BR02 has finally become a Super Rep to be reckon with... Cheers...

Updated with wristshot:

Strap is a little short. I am already wearing the 5th hole, so those with big wrist might not be able to wear this.
003_resize.jpg

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Excellent review of a great watch...

Probably will be looking to get one of these too....

Vigil

8/11/08
Wow, I really like this now thanks to your review, at first I was only into the square heads - good job :D

Do you know who has this ver for sale? Cost?

JMS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
Vigil said:
Wow, I really like this now thanks to your review, at first I was only into the square heads - good job :D

Do you know who has this ver for sale? Cost?

Second that, fantastic review. But do you have any information on where I can buy one of these beauties?

rangers158

Known Member
12/4/06
Lots of dealers should have this version. Andrew, Josh, Puretime, King have them on their website. Mine from King.

no_one

5/4/08
Alway thought about getting one of these. After this great review, I think I've finally decided. Thanks!!

dslmkr

Renowned Member
Certified
3/4/06
I've looked at this many times but the top crown didn't look this good,maybe the factory fixed this....or you were you just lucky to get good one?

dslmkr

Renowned Member
Certified
3/4/06
dslmkr said:
I've looked at this many times but the top crown didn't look this good,maybe the factory fixed this....or you were you just lucky to get good one?

look how far out top sticks out,yours is perfect,I would buy that version !!!

avitt

23/4/06
Thanks for the excellent review. I'd appreciate it if you could add a wrist shot at some point. I've heard that this model wears very large...

dslmkr

Renowned Member
Certified
3/4/06
how long ago did you get this? I can't believe how nice it is. I must contact King for an updated photo. I need to know if top crown issue is just a factory pre-production photo.

rangers158

Known Member
12/4/06
dslmkr said:
dslmkr said:

look how far out top sticks out,yours is perfect,I would buy that version !!!

Thats because they did not screw in the top crown in the dealer pics. The only flaws so far are the screws not being PVD, the crowns engraing not deep, inner part of the crown logo not polished, the orange He valve a little to transparent compared to gen and size of the He valve metal outer ring a little thicker. Flaws are there but it looks really nice on the wrist. Will post a wrist shot later...

avitt

23/4/06
rangers158 said:
Thats because they did not screw in the top crown in the dealer pics. The only flaws so far are the screws not being PVD, the crowns engraing not deep, inner part of the crown logo not polished, the orange He valve a little to transparent compared to gen and size of the He valve metal outer ring a little thicker. Flaws are there but it looks really nice on the wrist. Will post a wrist shot later...

Thanks. It also looks like there's a texture mismatch on the knurled part of the crowns. On the gen, they look polished, while on the rep, they look very matte.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
avitt said:
Thanks for the excellent review. I'd appreciate it if you could add a wrist shot at some point. I've heard that this model wears very large...

That's exactly my concern :)

Thx for the great review, and fantastic pics. This B&R breathes high quality...

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx so much Rangers.
Would you mind confirming your wrist size, to check if this is a watch for me ? :)
It looks big, but has to...

no_one

5/4/08
Pix said:
Thx so much Rangers.
Would you mind confirming your wrist size, to check if this is a watch for me ? :)
It looks big, but has to...

I'm with Pix on this one. I absolutely love this watch, but don't know if I can pull it off.

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
a great review for a great looking watch :)

i've been looking for this watch for some times, however couldnt find the one that considerably ok for my liking.
for some reason there's always something wrong with all the br watches that i found in gz. date in white background, screw in stainless steel, etc etc.

this is definitely an upgrade :)

anyone know the rrp for this beaut?