• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Community Review] Corum Admiral's Cup Competition 48

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Subjectively, I feel that this watch deserves to be given a community review treatment. I have seen that the IWC St Exupery has been covered pretty well in the first community review. Before I begin, I would like to highlight the point that you may add to this review and edit this review.

Let's start with full specifications of this watch:
Name: Corum Admiral's Cup Competition 48
Dial Colour: Dark Blue or Black (2 choices only for the moment)
Movement: Asian 7750 (disabled chronograph module), hi beat rate (28 800bph)
Crystal: Sapphire with single side AR coating.
Longest length on the crystal: ~40mm
Case Material: Titanium
Case Size: ~48mm
Caseback: Titanium, polished Titanium (for the cup).
Strap: Only in rubber (at the moment).
Strap size: 24/24 Effective length: 125/85
Buckle: Tongue Buckle, Titanium

A few pictures of the watch:
DSCN8438.jpg

DSCN8433.jpg

2adbe742.jpg

In general, this watch is well built. It has a genuine watch feeling in almost every parts. Case, caseback and buckle are machined properly, giving them sharp appearance. Usually, a replica is associated with rough and sharp edges which may cause discomfort or injuries to the wearer. This is certainly not the case in this replica watch.

Pictures of the caseback as well as the buckle:
DSCN8440.jpg

DSCN8444.jpg

Many people are concerned about the size of this watch (being labeled 48mm, it's certainly not a small watch). Rest assured, if you have a wrist size of 7" and larger, it should be OK. This is again very subjective. This is how the watch looks like on my wrist (6,5"):
7184431f.jpg

Sure it looks huge but I will definitely still wear it (unlike 47mm PAM127.. I just don't feel right wearing it on my wrist).

For the moment, as compared the the genuine article, caseback looks spot on. The most obvious flaw which I can tell is the date and day font. It is incorrect on the replica. Unfortunately, ETA date/daywheel swap will not rectify this flaw. The genuine seems to use it's own date and day wheel font. Just as a side note, the font on the genuine looks exactly just like the numbers on the dial. Secondly, the genuine article clearly has double side AR coated crystal.
Initially I thought polished SS colour on the crown is wrong but it has been proven otherwise.

Here is the case of this watch. Very big:
eebab658.jpg

Lume comparison on the replica vs relumed hour and minute hands (C1 Superluminova).
DSCN8472.jpg

0199995e.jpg

Lastly, a picture which I just took a while ago, showing that day and datewheel in ETA font.
5a45a70e.jpg

dadog13

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
this review is absolutely complete...nothing more to add...

I received the watch today...and belive me it's amazing...I have got some highly modded reps, and some great out of the box reps...but with this one I am really impressed...Like they sent us wrongly a run of gens...the feeling is definitely that...like the other guys described...everything is perfect...from the dial, to the case up to the strap...and the strap is absolutely great...attention to details is really high...the buckle is enormous, but comfortable if I was asked...

I'd give this rep a 9.5/10...even the light AR and the date font cannot take down more than half point from the final vote...

unicorn

Getting To Know The Place
6/8/07
I have bought this watch and i have to admit that is beautiful. One little mistake that has passed unoticed by the revews till now : The fonds on the "Admirals Cup" logo on the dial. On the original are almost bold. On the replica are italic. It is one of these mistakes i call "silly mistakes" because is not difficult to be done correct, neither the correct costs a penny more than the wrong! Anyway is a very good replica and that small mistake seems to be passed without been noticed by so many people.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
Glad I saw this Taka. I have to have one of theses now! Never looked at the Corums before.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yes the font is correct in italics, it appears bolder in the genuine but... Really, you'll notice it only with close side by side inspection.

unicorn

6/8/07
I saw the picture in TIMEZONE and realy the fonds are italic. It looks like there are two versions of that watch. The one i have seen in the importers display in Athens is in bold : Then i had a look in the official Corum site. Very consolidating for replica owners. I noticed that both versions are displayed in the makers official site. Look: http://www.corum.ch/dev_0206/index.html
8)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Thanks for the reference unicorn! I am sure not only Corum but also other brands have certain variation in the dials too. Anyway, I am sure I have posted this before in Eyecandy...:

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1344.jpg

DSCN1318.jpg

DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1348.jpg

assasi9

19/1/08
im going to wait till the rep the 44mm admiral's cup challenge chrono. then i'll buy all versions!!

dave123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/3/07
I have that watch enroute,Taka,can't wait.... 8)