• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is a Home built watch labeled as a fake?

Built-Sub

Horology Curious
7/7/18
I am a new member (a few weeks in) and I built my sub and I was immediately booted by the other watch forums because I did not walk into an AD and buy my submariner I built it by trial and error. I have gen and aftermarket parts on it. I never new this forum exists until a couple of weeks ago it is amazing community and it blows my mind how awesome these watches are on here and how people can look at a picture of a watch and say what factory or builder built a watch. I was wondering if I Frankensteined my watch is it considered a fake? the movement is an 2813 but the oyster bracelet, hands,case back and crown is real. I am not sure about the case and dial I paid a few hundred off of eBay for each.
The feet were removed from the dial which I would have had to do anyway to get it to fit my movement. But the listing said they were gen I have and I have no clue as to if that is true or not. But the jubilee it is currently on is genuine from an late 80s date just. I even took the serial number on the inside of the case to a Rolex store in my state to have them look it up and they said it matches the year of my case they believed the case was real and not reported stolen.

I seen a used Rolex’s Datejust at mall chain jewelry stores with aftermarket parts ( case back, stem, and repainted and relume dial) that they noted when I was acting as if I was interested selling for $3600. Would that be considered a Frankenstein as well?

I built mine for me to see if I could build a watch and with all the mistakes my sub costed me about $1130 including both real bracelets spread out over a timeframe of a year. So in my situation is my sub considered a fake because of the movement?

Sorry for the long winded question

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I think the answer here is not so obvious. Where do we draw the line between a fake and a gen with A LOT of aftermarket parts? Would a watch with gen movement but everything else aftermarket be considered gen or fake?

Consider that Rolex switched completely to in-house movements only in the last 20 years or so and that for example Daytonas were using Zenith movement until not too long ago, how would you consider a Daytona with several aftermarket parts but a gen Zenith (non Rolex) movement? Gen only because the movement is swiss-made?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
In my philosophy (which can be wrong by anyone else's standards of course) a fake is a fake if at least ONE piece which contains a trademark/symbol is not original.

For example: if you put an unbranded or a gen eta movement in a watch that has all gen parts to me it is a gen watch with a non gen movement, If you do the same bu you use a clone movement with rolex stamped on it... then it is a fake as a whole (franken to put it nicely). The same holds true to caseback, bracelet, crystal, ... again: having an homage oyster bracelet without any rolex engraving on a gen rolex head is to me not a fake. To me it is a gen rolex with a replacment bracelet.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I think classic cars are a good analogy to this situation -- a "matching" car with identical serials on the body, frame and engine is considered "factory correct" and will always carry a higher premium (unless there was some rare manufacturing snafu where the misaligned numbers somehow create a greater rarity) than a resto-mod or vehicle pieced together with the correct parts, just not those parts as they would have come from the factory.

To your opening question, I view a "genuine" watch as one which is covered (or would be covered) under a factory warranty. This covers a 100% factory original watch or one which the dial, hands or lume indices were replaced by the manufacturer (Rolex, in this instance) -- which while altered from original specification, was done so by the manufacturer. Anything which would void the warranty carries some interesting repercussions under this model, but what Rolex doesn't know won't hurt them haha.

I also happen to view any watch which functions as per gen with parts in relative accordance with original factory production as "good enough" and within acceptable tolerances of gen spec deviation. Of course, that is more of a personally-defined, subjective approach ...

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Home built with all gen pieces = not fake, but built and shouldnt be sold without disclosing it was all built.
home built with all important pieces gen = not fake, but built and a grey area and shouldnt be sold on gen forum without explicitly stating whats real/fake
home built with a non gen movement = fake and youll get the boot from any gen forum.

the movement is one of the most important pieces of a watch. if it doesnt have a gen movement, you cant say its a built rolex.

also, i dont believe a 2813 would work in a gen sub case, so again, you definitely dont have enough parts gen to post on a gen forum without repercussions.

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Home built with all gen pieces = not fake, but built and shouldnt be sold without disclosing it was all built.
home built with all important pieces gen = not fake, but built and a grey area and shouldnt be sold on gen forum without explicitly stating whats real/fake

What about a leather strap on a full gen rolex head and no rolex bracelet? Is it gen or not?
And if the leather strap is replaced with a non rolex branded (unbranded or third party branded) oyster looking bracelet?

I am interesting to hear the opinion on this since it is probably ok the first but not ok the latter ;)

2fake4u

20/9/16
What about a leather strap on a full gen rolex head and no rolex bracelet? Is it gen or not?
And if the leather strap is replaced with a non rolex branded (unbranded or third party branded) oyster looking bracelet?

I am interesting to hear the opinion on this since it is probably ok the first but not ok the latter ;)

straps are different. plenty of people use aftermarket straps on their gens. as long as it isnt a fake strap of something, no big deal. same as im of the idea that a gen strap on a completely fake watch doesnt make it a franken.

unbranded rolex style? thats a grey area imo.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Interesting to see the many varied opinions of what constitutes a gen. One thing no one mentioned is that Rolex has a record of all serial numbers they manufacture so even if you build a gen the serial on the case would be known to be a replacement case, or proveably non-gen if aftermarket. This is a potential issue if the watch ever needed to be sent to Rolex for service since the case would not be on file as belonging to an original genuine watch. Also, I talked to my AD watchmaker recently when I had my gen GMT serviced, and he told me they are required to report the servicing to Rolex USA by serial number so that Rolex USA records are accurately updated. If I were considering the purchase of a home-buit gen, it would matter greatly to me to know the truth about its origin. This doesn't mean an all gen parts home built isn't gen, just that IMO Rolex would not view it that way. I have seen occb2 post about getting a serial registered with Rolex USA, so apparently there is a way to make it entirely legit.

Last edited:

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Interesting to see the many varied opinions of what constitutes a gen. One thing no one mentioned is that Rolex has a record of all serial numbers they manufacture so even if you build a gen the serial on the case would be known to be a replacement case, or proveably non-gen if aftermarket. This is a potential issue if the watch ever needed to be sent to Rolex for service since the case would not be on file as belonging to an original genuine watch. Also, I talked to my AD watchmaker recently when I had my gen GMT serviced, and he told me they are required to report the servicing to Rolex USA by serial number so that Rolex USA records are accurately updated. If I were considering the purchase of a home-buit gen, it would matter greatly to me to know the truth about its origin. This doesn't mean an all gen parts home built isn't gen, just that IMO Rolex would not view it that way. I have seen occb2 post about getting a serial registered with Rolex USA, so apparently there is a way to make it entirely legit.

Built-Sub So you are the reason I got kicked out of TRF. LOL. Last week I got banned and they give no reason. I never spoke of fakes there. About 4 years ago I got in an argument with an idiot because I build my own watches.

The truth is if every part is Rolex it is a Rolex. If you put a fake part in it it is no longer a Rolex. That is it. Your 2813 is what makes it fake.

2fake said it the best. Go by that guideline you will be great.

I have been to Rolex in Manhattan a lot in my life. Between looking at watches and buying and inspecting watches. Service is on the 5th floor of the building.

Understand that my intention was NOT to register my watch. I only had 7 Rolexes registerer to me in my life. My first sub that I got at Rolex in 2000. I traded it for the 16613 in 2003 and that was registered. Been in for service 3 times. I also brought a 16610LN 2000 that my AD knew I was looking for, for nostalgic reasons. So that is registered too me. Then I have my wife date just and non-date. They did register my 116710LN because I went down there with the all real 116710LN that I made because Therealgoat needed a serial number to verify his band. So when we met I thought it was going too be a $160 charge and they were going to say I was right and the half of the band was fake. But they didn't. They took my watch and told me too come back. I went to get something too eat and when I returned it was all good. They said the band was real and my watch was in good condition. They mentioned the scratches on the band and case and that the movement did not need service and too return when it needed it. In the computer system now, that watch is registered too me. I have since sold it to a friend. So he will have zero issues going into rolex and getting it serviced.

Now over the years, and I mean now almost 20 years, RSS have changed drastically. See as a detective I was very lucky. I would sometimes help our Robbery/Burglary detective and I would do pawn shop visits. They would have rolexes sometimes. About 50% were fake. Or bling out. I am odd. I like sports line only! I like Subs, then GMT's, then daytona, then YM. That is it. I dont like other Rolex or watches in general. When it came to Rolex I like subs and loved my first brand new store brought 16610LN in 2000. It was just the 16610 then. The LV wasn't out yet.

So the point was, there were times I would go do a pawn shop visit and the owner would tell me, hey I got a submariner in. I would get excited. I would ask if it was real. He would say he knows the movement is. He had had his jeweler look at it. They all would let me take it too rolex. I would go down there and most of the time they were stolen. But there were times where they came out and would say that the crystal isn't real, the bezel isn't real the bracelet isn't real. Out of every time I went down there I probably got 3 to 5 that were legit and good.

If I was in the hobby like I am now. I would had taken each of them. Stripped them and used the movement and cases. One I got my money back on ebay was a guy with great feedback. Now as a builder I know the watch is mostly real and was worth every penny. It was a 16613 I brought. I owned a black one at the time and wanted the blue. I found one on ebay. Vetted the guy. I mean for a month with phone calls and messages. He knew I was a detective. Well after weeks I knew something was different. It felt different than my 16613. So I take it too rolex USA. I am about to go on vacation so I thought while I am gone they will service it. So the lady comes back and tells me its a hack job. That the case is a stainless steel submariner, the movement is from a date just, the bracelet was fake and they would not service the watch. (Understand I use to go in when I was working. So I had my badge on my belt and my gun in a holster next too it and the radio on the other side in a shirt and tie. I alway left my suit jacket in the car unless winter.). So I felt like crap.

I contacted ebay told them what they said and faxed them all paperwork. Back then PayPal and Ebay were the same company. The credited me ASAP. The kicked the jeweler out of ebay and he called and bitched and complained. In hind site, it was a good deal. Movement real, case real but 16610 not 16613. Bezel real 18k dial hands too. Probably a WM9 bracelet. The clasp said rolex. But it was fake. Maybe star time? Who knows. I sent it back too him. But the watch was $2800 back then. I brought my 16613 a few years before for $4200 brand new, That was $1000 under retail because we brought 3 watches from the AD. I brokered the deal and I paid $4200 and they paid $4500.

Bottom line. I have built a real 16610LN, 16800, 16613, 16700, 116710LN,116610LV, Out of all these one has been registered too me. I haven't taken any other because there is no reason too. The only reason the one was, was because I had a reason too go to Rolex and that was to verify the bracelet of a member. Out of all those watches I only own 2. My 16700 and my 116610LV. Yea I can go and get it register probably. The LV was done identical too the 116710LN. I got a brand new replacement movement. It came with test dial and all as did the 3186. The case was brand new with plastic still on it. It had a mark on the bottom. It is unregistered. The bracelet was new. The dial was new. hands, crystal, bezel, new. I did crack my pearl! I am ticked. I have a new bezel but I hear it is a nightmare too change and I risk cracking the bezel itself.

I know this is a book. But there is good info here.

A Startime case is a replacement case. A TC case is actually legal too as a replacement case. As long as there is no marking on the cases Rolex cant say crap. They won't work on it but there is no fraud. It is made for replacing a case. They are sterile. No marking. You can get phong too do the same thing for you. Period! So that isn't fake either. But you need too tell the buyers this if you ever sale it and your value will decrease.

So if you find a Rolex 16610 case. You put a new rolex 3135 never installed in rolexes system. New dial, hands, crystal, bezel, crown and tube and bracelet. You have a real rolex built by you.
If you have a star time case with all other parts rolex, you have a rolex with a replacement case.
If you have a wm9 or a JF with all rolex parts you have a all Rolex minus replica case.
Punch in all the other scenarios that you can think. All real minus band all real but winding bridge on the real 3135. They dont care. If Rolex finds one thing not rolex they will return it too you and not work on it.

I did hear one thing. It is a friend of mine and he isn't a lier. He was looking for an old 1680. He found one. He was one, and it killed me, too bring it too new specs. So he brought it and took it too his AD in Maryland and told him to bring it to new. They called him saying that the movement had aftermarket parts. He said he told them too replace them with real parts and anything aftermarket just replace with real.

If he had taken that too Rolex USA in 5th ave, they would had turned him down with fake parts.

Hope this helps. Also I am ticked off that TRF banned me. LMAO. I have more real rolexes than most of them and most of them are us here too. I find it a hoot. I should throw in a PayPal claim on my dues but not that kind of guy. They can go F themselves.

Funny thing was the guy that I got in an argument all those years back had a LV insert he was selling. I wanted it. I think he wanted $600 for it. For $600 I found a sealed bezel kit with the LV insert and tension ring. So I told him sorry I found one. He started going off on me and calling me names and how rich he was and his most expensive watch was worth more than my house. Now mind it. He gave me all his info like phone number and full name and account number at bank. He wanted a money transfer not PayPal. So I gave a call to a buddy in financial crime and he sent me a PDF of the guys credit history. LOL. He had started a tread on me. I told him to Google me. I am occb2 in all forums I dont hide. He started dogging me on the forum. LOL. He attacked my character. So I PM'ed him his financial info and how much he made a year that was declared and his debt. LOL. He told me he was going too sue me that I am not allowed too look at his finances. I told him I am retired. I did nothing. I just found this on the internet. LOL. He shut up quick. A man preaching how rich he was was making ok money around $75,000 a year but owed over $350,000 between cars and mortgage and CC's. So if he did have a Patak watch it was either pass down too him or fake. Doesn't matter. He was a tool.

We are in the best hobby. We make our watches. Some just replace a crystal. Or put a services sh3135 in their watches. Some just want the look of a watch. Doesn't matter. Period. We are all the same. From the guy who got his watch for $100 or spent more than what a real one is worth. It is just we are in the same hobby. This is why I don't bash people. Enjoy it. Best, best hobby.

Sorry for the rant. LOL. Been awhile since I vented. But that is your answer on if you build a rolex with all rolex parts is it a Rolex.

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
A Startime case is a replacement case. A TC case is actually legal too as a replacement case. As long as there is no marking on the cases Rolex cant say crap. They won't work on it but there is no fraud. It is made for replacing a case. They are sterile. No marking. You can get phong too do the same thing for you. Period! So that isn't fake either. But you need too tell the buyers this if you ever sale it and your value will decrease.

So if you find a Rolex 16610 case. You put a new rolex 3135 never installed in rolexes system. New dial, hands, crystal, bezel, crown and tube and bracelet. You have a real rolex built by you.
If you have a star time case with all other parts rolex, you have a rolex with a replacement case.

Exactly my point I stated a few posts above this, it is what I also believe. Sterile does not make a fake watch.

Reactions: occb2

MrBeasy

8/2/16
I got a few super duper frankens with all gen parts except say a noob case and rep springbars - but I never would say they are real Rolex (though I treat them the same as my gens).

I just get a kick out of the fact I had them built for 20% - 60% of gen price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mrjoe

22/8/15
damn good read occb2 ! Pretty interesting to read how different people view building their watches.

Reactions: occb2

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I think the answer here is not so obvious. Where do we draw the line between a fake and a gen with A LOT of aftermarket parts? Would a watch with gen movement but everything else aftermarket be considered gen or fake?

Consider that Rolex switched completely to in-house movements only in the last 20 years or so and that for example Daytonas were using Zenith movement until not too long ago, how would you consider a Daytona with several aftermarket parts but a gen Zenith (non Rolex) movement? Gen only because the movement is swiss-made?

Hey brother. This statement is not true at all. Not trying to say your intentions are bad but rolex made every movement they have in their watch. The daytona was rolex made movement. The parts were from a zenith el primero but they did not have them build it. Rolex ordered the movements disassembled and changed bridges and modified py arts and changed the balance and pallet. The watch was downgraded from 36,000 to 28,800 BPH/VPH. Rolex watch makers would assemble the movements in house and install in their watches.

While I did some upgrades to my zenith daytona. In theory there is no Zenith daytona because they had a call sign for the movement in the 16520 and it was a 4030. Rolex did their modifications and assembly inhouse. Yes the mainplate was similar to a zenith El primero the rest of the movement were along the lines of Rolex.

Now you say a few years back, 1999-2000 was when Rolex went to a completely rolex built movement. Which was the 4130. That was 18 years ago. Now the Daytona was the only watch with out a rolex in house designed movement. From the start. The first hand wind used another company as so did the first auto wind. But they were still built in house.

Now if you are talking about lets say my 16520 that I built by hand. I used a phong case. Real bracelet, real bezel, real dial, real crystal, real tube and crown, real hands, the movement hand real auto winding bridge and real hand pinions and real oscillating weight and chrono bridge that read 4030. I did not change the balance or a few other parts to make it a 28,000. Not cost effective. If you are asking if that is fake. yes it is. The movement is not a rolex 4030. Even if I converted the zenith 400 el primero too a 4030 it isn't a 4030. I think of this watch hobby very similallar to car hobby.

I have a porsche 911 Turbo. Actually lets got back. I had a 77 Porsche 930 which is a 911 wide body turbo. Not it was stock. It now is worth $200,000 plus. But if I took a 1977 911 and made it a full wide body with factory parts. Put all Turbo parts, like the 3.0 turbo non intercooler. The gauges. The turbo seats and interior trim and put the 930 transmission and larger breaks. Everything the 930 had. I would not have a 930 at the end of the day. I would have a nicely modified 911.

Now if I had the same car and put a corvette engine and trans in it. It would no longer be a 911. It would be a 911 with an aftermarket engine and transmission. It isn't rocket science.

We have fake watches. Unless we build complete real rolex watches. That is it. If we put in an ETA and use a movement holder. Rolex wouldn't touch. It is altered. They want their parts and only their parts. An real ETA would still run amazing and just as good. But it is a Rolex with an ETA movement. That is what it is. Same if you change only the bracelet. It is a Rolex minus aftermarket bracelet and so on.

Reactions: Dino2018 and Nivka

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Hey brother. This statement is not true at all. Not trying to say your intentions are bad but rolex made every movement they have in their watch. The daytona was rolex made movement. The parts were from a zenith el primero but they did not have them build it. Rolex ordered the movements disassembled and changed bridges and modified py arts and changed the balance and pallet. The watch was downgraded from 36,000 to 28,800 BPH/VPH. Rolex watch makers would assemble the movements in house and install in their watches.

While I did some upgrades to my zenith daytona. In theory there is no Zenith daytona because they had a call sign for the movement in the 16520 and it was a 4030. Rolex did their modifications and assembly inhouse. Yes the mainplate was similar to a zenith El primero the rest of the movement were along the lines of Rolex.

Now you say a few years back, 1999-2000 was when Rolex went to a completely rolex built movement. Which was the 4130. That was 18 years ago. Now the Daytona was the only watch with out a rolex in house designed movement. From the start. The first hand wind used another company as so did the first auto wind. But they were still built in house.

Now if you are talking about lets say my 16520 that I built by hand. I used a phong case. Real bracelet, real bezel, real dial, real crystal, real tube and crown, real hands, the movement hand real auto winding bridge and real hand pinions and real oscillating weight and chrono bridge that read 4030. I did not change the balance or a few other parts to make it a 28,000. Not cost effective. If you are asking if that is fake. yes it is. The movement is not a rolex 4030. Even if I converted the zenith 400 el primero too a 4030 it isn't a 4030. I think of this watch hobby very similallar to car hobby.

I have a porsche 911 Turbo. Actually lets got back. I had a 77 Porsche 930 which is a 911 wide body turbo. Not it was stock. It now is worth $200,000 plus. But if I took a 1977 911 and made it a full wide body with factory parts. Put all Turbo parts, like the 3.0 turbo non intercooler. The gauges. The turbo seats and interior trim and put the 930 transmission and larger breaks. Everything the 930 had. I would not have a 930 at the end of the day. I would have a nicely modified 911.

Now if I had the same car and put a corvette engine and trans in it. It would no longer be a 911. It would be a 911 with an aftermarket engine and transmission. It isn't rocket science.

We have fake watches. Unless we build complete real rolex watches. That is it. If we put in an ETA and use a movement holder. Rolex wouldn't touch. It is altered. They want their parts and only their parts. An real ETA would still run amazing and just as good. But it is a Rolex with an ETA movement. That is what it is. Same if you change only the bracelet. It is a Rolex minus aftermarket bracelet and so on.

Respect for your knowledge and for your opinion. When I said that Rolex completely switched to in-house movements only about 20 years ago I was not referring only to the El Primero (which while heavily modified and completely re-built by Rolex, it is still not an in-house movement as it retained at least 50% parts of the original caliber) but also to the Rolex/Aegler situation, where movements were actually not properly in-house produced, until Rolex bought Aegler outright in 2004.

The general point I was trying to make is that a watch becomes a fake only insofar as the producer, following its current standards, says it is. And these standards can vary wildly with the years. Still taking Rolex as an example, think about early Daytonas: the 6239s were powered by a basic Valjoux 72 movement, called the 72B by Rolex. If hypothetically I would manage to get hold of a non-Rolex stamped Valjoux 72 and insert it in all original 6239 case, with gen dial, hands etc. how can you still argue that this is a fake? It would be exactly the same watch, minus a Rolex stamp.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I’m over building Rolex (subs in particular).

I no longer get a buzz out of building a watch that is worn by every other person in the world.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I’m over building Rolex (subs in particular).

I no longer get a buzz out of building a watch that is worn by every other person in the world.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Respect for your knowledge and for your opinion. When I said that Rolex completely switched to in-house movements only about 20 years ago I was not referring only to the El Primero (which while heavily modified and completely re-built by Rolex, it is still not an in-house movement as it retained at least 50% parts of the original caliber) but also to the Rolex/Aegler situation, where movements were actually not properly in-house produced, until Rolex bought Aegler outright in 2004.

The general point I was trying to make is that a watch becomes a fake only insofar as the producer, following its current standards, says it is. And these standards can vary wildly with the years. Still taking Rolex as an example, think about early Daytonas: the 6239s were powered by a basic Valjoux 72 movement, called the 72B by Rolex. If hypothetically I would manage to get hold of a non-Rolex stamped Valjoux 72 and insert it in all original 6239 case, with gen dial, hands etc. how can you still argue that this is a fake? It would be exactly the same watch, minus a Rolex stamp.

serials would not match between movement and case, fake-ish

Reactions: The Rod