• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How can I loosen a stiff link?

Dawboo

Horology Curious
22/6/14
The last link on my bracelet connecting to the clasp of my ARF 116610 is very stiff. I thought it would loosen up after a few weeks but no dice. If I loosen the screw then the screw head sticks up. Any ideas on how to loosen it up a bit?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
No sure I understand the issue fully but Have you tried soaking bracelet in wd40 over night? You can then manually work the bracelet links to help loosen it up.

Also, try heating up the bracelet with a hair drier (or hot water dip). That will expand the metal by a few microns or whatever. Then use gloves to manually work the bracelet links back and forth to loosen it up. Hope this help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnick

Horology Curious
1/10/16
Ive talk to watchmaker about this issue and not soaking might have opposite effect but only little dab of wd40 where the link no moving properly.Reason why if the rep braclet has any plastic tubes in the links it will eat it up only if you know for sure will decide what to do then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Neo1979

Certified
8/6/16
I had a stiff link in my rep Oyster bracelets. I just sat on the sofa one evening wiggling it back and fourth for about 30 minuets, worked a treat! :)

cashmachine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/6/18
I had a stiff link in my rep Oyster bracelets. I just sat on the sofa one evening wiggling it back and fourth for about 30 minuets, worked a treat! :)

Same here, just kept playing with the bracelet in my spare time and wore it daily until it loosened up. The usual suggestions of WD40/ultrasonic bath/baby oil/mineral oil are some options.