• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Big Pilot 5009 Gen crown on latest zf 500901 rep. Time for a fully Franken IWC Big Pilot.

Desmond20052000

21/3/17
Hi All

I picked up my Gen strap from the IWC boutique in London today. And I must say, whilst the ZF strap looks nearly spot on (although the alligator grain print looks a bit low budget close up) - the feel of the two straps is chalk and cheese. This gen is as soft and smooth as butter. Plus going to the boutique was a great experience in service as one would expect, and the single malt I enjoyed whilst the gent and I spoke about Big Pilot references and limited editions was so good, and an welcomed touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go GEN, you won't regret that :punk:

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
Isn't the biggest flaw on these BPs that the dates are all left justified?

Does anyone know if this is a printing issue of the DWs or whether a modder can fix the alignment issue?

MKTimer

Known Member
10/12/17
My 1-12 are PERFECTLY centred 12-18 are left justified. Then 19-31 perfectly centred again. Which in my mind’s eye means it’s a print issue on the Dw.

But go look at 20 gen specimens and you’ll be lucky to find 5 with centred dates. For some reason they are as bad as the zf rep.

Don’t know why that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Has anybody of you successfully gen hands on your franken ZF Big Pilot (latest ZF 23j version)?
I got offered a gen dial and gen hands for a 5009 and was wondering if the gen hands are worth the upgrade (if they can be installed on the rep 23j movement).

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
what is the price of the gen dial 500912?

550 USD + shipping on Scotchwatch and last time I checked he had it in stock.

I can't get myself around buying one - maybe someone calls me out one day and I will change my mind

Last edited:

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
They sometimes pop up on Chrono24 or the bay.. I am not sure if Blake can source an entire movement and even if he did, you might be better off just buying a used gen at a good price. Some guys on the forum seem to be more resourceful at getting parts but they also don't seem to talk about from where they got their gen stuff..

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
I think sourcing a gen 511xx is nearly impossible. I never saw an offer. And the price will be in the region of 5000$ I think.

Gesendet von iPhone 11 Pro mit Tapatalk

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
I recently got hold of a gen IWC BP 5002 Platinum dial for a franken project. Since there is no ZF 5002 with working power reserve, which could be used as a base watch, I was thinking about using a ZF big pilot le petit prince as a base watch, since it also has a white date wheel and ss hands.
Result would be some kind of a fantasy watch. What do you guys think would be the best ZF Big Pilot watch as a base? Thanks for your recommendations.
(The hands in the picture are just for testing the look. They are too small since they are from an IWC Pilot Chronograph).