• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help me differentiate these two annual calendar reps

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
The dial on the ZF is better as the markers on every 5 minute markers on the ylf is off. Engravings on the ylf are slightly better but both have issues. There is plenty written about both. I decided to buy the zf

CodyMHerrick

Looking Around
9/9/19
I’m also wanting to know more about the one with blue markers. With the blue strap it looks very nice but I am not seeing a gen version.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I own one, and have been researching it to death. I tracked down a one off blue hands/indices version created for the London Film Festival, IW5035-05. Not the same finish though: Platinum dial, blue painted indices and accents. Perhaps the white dial is another one off, seems there are a couple of these (Tribeca, Pisa... etc.). Of course, there's another posibility: white dial, blue hands, blue numerals was released in the ZF replicated date only Portugieser IW500705.... delete 11/12/1, re-use handy blue numerals and hands, et. voila. - the never released and very economical blue hands annual calendar! Totally unsubstantiated, and zero proof conspiracy aside, seems plausible to me ????
d6f3c8be5f2ca3ff1adcbafc9af16b44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

correllian G

Known Member
31/1/19
I own one, and have been researching it to death. I tracked down a one off blue hands/indices version created for the London Film Festival, IW5035-05. Not the same finish though: Platinum dial, blue painted indices and accents. Perhaps the white dial is another one off, seems there are a couple of these (Tribeca, Pisa... etc.). Of course, there's another posibility: white dial, blue hands, blue numerals was released in the ZF replicated date only Portugieser IW500705.... delete 11/12/1, re-use handy blue numerals and hands, et. voila. - the never released and very economical blue hands annual calendar! Totally unsubstantiated, and zero proof conspiracy aside, seems plausible to me ????
d6f3c8be5f2ca3ff1adcbafc9af16b44.jpg

Beeeeautiful rep! Looking for one just like this how has it been for you?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Confirmed with local IWC Boutique, scoured their in store catalogue, novelty watches included. White dial, blue hands was rumoured but never released.
42c6845b89832093595aab7ec8453948.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Beeeeautiful rep! Looking for one just like this how has it been for you?

Lovely piece. Definitely a conversation starter! That said, mine has gone back to the manufacturer for a gear replacement, at no cost, as mine jammed when I set the date on the first day of ownership. It is not a quick process to set as it requires a bit of patience to get the date/week/month set up, and the complication is fairly complex so be careful when you set the watch - anything inside the 10 to 2 quadrant, or a too-fast turn of the crown could be risky, first hand experience applies :). Outside of its quirks, lovely watch with a lot of personality! Oh, last thoughts: I have thick wrists at 8.5 inches, and the strap just made it around my arm :). Anything above that will require a replacement...

correllian G

Known Member
31/1/19
Oh dear sorry to hear! how long did that whole replacement process take?
bit nervous about it having so many complications and breaking the movement!
closest thing i have is JLC Master geographic but this definitely beats it.

Thanks for all the information! i think i actually like my reps being abit obscure with a different color and this beauty takes the cake for me against all other annual calendars.
im definitely just into reps for fun not to flex my money or get the most accurate piece.

Did you grab it with the deployant clasp?

Last edited:

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Returns process took ~3 weeks, with the posting process consuming the bulk. My TD facilitated, and carried the cost of postage back to me. Yes, I have the deployant - very well finished, and I'd say the black alligator strap is a an ok effort as well. That's on my list of "must replace" items however, since it is on the final pin hole due to my thickish wrists :p. Regards the complication: this one takes commitment, both in setting and operation. I saw this movement open, since I opted to have it inspected locally to confirm issue before sending it back: There's a lot going on under the hood, some of which is scaaaaaaaary :D. The watch technician had a mild heart attack, reconsidered his profession and then sewed her up with a firm shake of the head: He simply didn't have the parts needed for this, as it is super custom. I'd say consider the date only Portugieser (blue hands/white dial) if the complexity and potential risk of this is off-putting, since it is equally beautiful. And since I had a dud gear originally, I'd say the risk is definitely there. On the other hand, it is a fun piece for sure and my take is since it's a rep, take the risk at a pricepoint that suits and wear it in good health! If it flames out, well sh*t happens :p. If you deal with a good TD, let them help you ship it back, get it fixed and let the time bomb reset :D.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Returns process took ~3 weeks, with the posting process consuming the bulk. My TD facilitated, and carried the cost of postage back to me. Yes, I have the deployant - very well finished, and I'd say the black alligator strap is a an ok effort as well. That's on my list of "must replace" items however, since it is on the final pin hole due to my thickish wrists :p. Regards the complication: this one takes commitment, both in setting and operation. I saw this movement open, since I opted to have it inspected locally to confirm issue before sending it back: There's a lot going on under the hood, some of which is scaaaaaaaary :D. The watch technician had a mild heart attack, reconsidered his profession and then sewed her up with a firm shake of the head: He simply didn't have the parts needed for this, as it is super custom. I'd say consider the date only Portugieser (blue hands/white dial) if the complexity and potential risk of this is off-putting, since it is equally beautiful. And since I had a dud gear originally, I'd say the risk is definitely there. On the other hand, it is a fun piece for sure and my take is since it's a rep, take the risk at a pricepoint that suits and wear it in good health! If it flames out, well sh*t happens :p. If you deal with a good TD, let them help you ship it back, get it fixed and let the time bomb reset :D.
And let me share the pics ;) - not exagerating in the complexity department :O
5f2b52dd501040f6de210f45ba33077d.jpg
8568b68c98319d27b33d908ed57a3a1e.jpg
8b428532173644ed05379d386d0e77d2.jpg

correllian G

Known Member
31/1/19
Wow you weren't kidding about the complexity!!
That is insane!
Although it's kind of the allure of the watch I guess such class and gorgeous design along with a complex functioning mechanism!

Will definitely use my most trusted TD if I ever can afford to pick up the annual calendar.

Would love to figure out the intricacies of the movement too.

Thanks so much for all your information! Feel much more confident in buying now!