• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

COMPARISON BP 5002 Big Pilot Faux PR vs GEN 5004

ql224

10/2/16
So being a newish member I want to contribute something to this forum, which has been a wonderfully indulgent time sink for me. Having some experience with gens before entering this forum, I am able to compare my gen big pilot 5004 to the BP factory 5002 Big Pilot. The model I acquired was brand new, modified with a gen dial of 5002. I originally bought it because I had been lusting after the 5002 dial, however couldn't justify buying a gen 5002, with my current 5004. It would be to costly to sell my 5004, and as luck would have it, the BP 5002 came up for sale on m2m.

As a forward, I am not a professional watchmaker and so my perspective will not be technical, only based on feel and opinion based on what I see.

Lets compare these two watches! Excuse the poor lighting

image_zpsfgtz2f5s.jpg

First Impressions:
On first glance, the watches are strikingly similar. Of course because both are GEN dial, the white markers, black matte dial color will be pretty much identical. The Case, bezel, and crown are indistinguishable except for small details, as I can explain later.

It is interesting to note that the Glare on both crystals are strikingly similar, which is probably due to poor, overexposed lighting on my part. In any case, the level of glare is identical on both, which makes the rep crystal very similar to the genuine. Both AR are not as clear as Steves or the other ones found on the forum, which really makes our reps better than gens in that regard.

I will not review the movement, it is inside closed caseback and we all know the difference between gen and rep.

Case and Crown

I'll let the pictures do the talking. Case profile is almost identical, except maybe the rep lugs are ever so slightly slimmer than gen. However lug profile is the same, and I suspect that if we service the 5004 case, it will look slimmer just like the bp 5002.

image_zpsqouvcmtl.jpg
image_zpsthcybool.jpg
image_zpsoviz9amt.jpg

Caseback looks very good, close to gen engraving

7cf0f4b3-3271-4612-9ca8-38d4fcdd3348_zpsltwk2mwu.jpg

The weight of the rep is off, I suspect due to the different movement (GEN is big) and probably the lack of iron cage in rep. Still not noticeable without gen in hand to compare.

The rep crown looks the same from afar to the gen, however upon close inspection the gen crown has more clearly defined polished surfaces, and shines alittle brighter. Ironically, this detail is lost when the watch is on the wrist, and the crown is covered in dirt and oil. This picture can show the details. In addition, the feeling of unscrewing the crown is obviously better with gen.

image_zpsd6nzj2do.jpg

Dial and Hands

image_zps312rdsw4.jpg
image_zpspgpkotbk.jpg

The Lume color and texture is different than my 5004, because the original seller said that he relumed the gen 5002 dial. While the lume is definately brighter than the 5004, the lume job has a slightly different lume color and can look poofy in some places. I actually enjoy this characteristic, as the 5002 was more faithful to the vintage big pilot design. This type of lume complements that aesthetic, as well as glows like a torch as we'll see later.

The hands on the rep 5002 look great, however I'm sure under macro pics there will differences in finish. On the wrist however it looks perfect. I cant say for sure but the pinion on gen maybe is slightly longer than rep, so the hands are higher above the dial with increased 3d effect. Honestly, its not noticeable unless you were purposely looking for the flaw, and had the gen next to it.

image_zpsmgezbdxy.jpg
image_zpswgidygyr.jpg

In conclusion this watch is fantastic! I spent over 11k at the Authorized dealer for the GEN a couple of years ago, before I knew better. Considering the gen dial, it is 99% the same as gen.

Here are some glamour pics lol

image_zpssgcetnhc.jpg
image_zpshjxgcaiz.jpg
image_zpswl8grdld.jpg
image_zpst7oridbb.jpg

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Thank you for both the time and effort. As you pointed out, the crown is particularly telling but like most flaws very hard to notice at wrist length. Great job here.

paulvillo

Renowned Member
6/6/13
Thanks for the comparison mate. Just relax and sit tight as you'll notice that GEN vs REP disappointment is probably the most common thing in our community ;) Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonbaylee

I'm Pretty Popular
3/2/14
Great catch there!
5002 is soooo iconic imho...

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Thanks for the comparison mate. Just relax and sit tight as you'll notice that GEN vs REP disappointment is probably the most common thing in our community ;) Cheers!

Why disappointing? He concluded its 99% close to gen. You mean for having spent 11k versus 509-600 usd on a practically identical rep?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

paulvillo

Renowned Member
6/6/13
Why disappointing? He concluded its 99% close to gen. You mean for having spent 11k versus 509-600 usd on a practically identical rep?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Nope, the exact opposite mate.
Disappointing at a few GENs, that is.
Cheers