• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mirage's review of 3878 Spitfire from ZF

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
First impression of this watch is simply amazing. It looks and feel outstanding. I can honestly say that it is by far the best quality of rep IWC that I have owned!

Before I give you my impressions, here are a couple of pictures :D

pA0Sznl.jpg

5mx0aix.jpg

eCvVElP.jpg

jyZ8735.jpg

Vkcx26E.jpg

6t7P2Sd.jpg

SW4ccie.jpg

RoMpV9z.jpg

jJ8T7tD.jpg

So here are my impressions about the various details.

Crystal - I have to start by the crystal, which is probably the best feature of this watch. I have never seen a crystal so clear! No foggy or cloudy feeling. This crystal makes the dial look HD and high contrast. The edges are polished making the crystal's presence really discrete. In fact you will wonder if its there most of the time. The very nice blue hue (very gen like) gives a very special spark to the watch.

The Dial - Very good, the sunburst effect is really present while still having a grainy surface. The color seems a bit more brownish / yellowish than gen, but I am basing myself on the photoshoped gen picture from the IWC catalog.

Markers - Alignment is good and their definition is great. The lume is evely applied in the markers. The triangle and the dots are very nice.

Hands - This is probably the downside of this watch, the hands side is not polished properly, and the edge suffered from a poor press cutting. I think I might try to re-polish / scrape the side of the hands one day. The lume is even, just as the markers.

Lume -
I should have taken a shot of the lume... Lume is really ordinary, nothing to be crazy about. It is OK, not more.

Date Wheel / Date Window - The date wheel font are very nice, the color or the date wheel matches the dial perfectly. The only downside is the alignment, I am under the impression that the upper edge of the date window is a bit to low, hidding the upper date a little or making it a tight fit at the very least.

Case - Case is beautifull, the brushing and the polished edges are perfect.

Back cover - Back cover feels a bit cheap compared to the rest of the watch. Brushing seems a bit harsh and the shot peened area is uneven. I am maybe a bit picky here but the rest of the watch is so damn good that I would have expected a bit more on that side.

Crown - Feels a lot better that on my V6 maker's 3777. The edges are smoother and the operation is a lot better. The screw in mecanism is also more precise and more smooth than on my 3777. Plus is has more screwing threads.

Movement - Here is an interresting part. The movement feels great. The seconds runner hand at 6 rotates realy smoothly, no stutter at all. My 3714 do stutter a lot. This one feels like a normal sec @ 9. The Counter at 12 is the same as regular 7750, it will count 30 minutes per rotation. So on this watch every minute is indicated as 2 minutes.
The date change mecanism and the crown pull action feel a lot different too. Pulling the crown is a bit harder and there is a spring loaded mecanism when pushing it back in from date change. I never seen this on other 7750.

Power Reserve - Well it looks like the movement functions without to much restriction. I calculated 47 hours. And it restarted after a small tap for around 1 hour.

Chrono Pushers - They feel solid, no wobbling around. They operate firmly and precisely. They look also as per gen.

Strap - Do I really need to comment on a rep strap? Feel better than other IWC rep straps I got though.

Clasp - I need to compare with other clasps, It looks different, the shape of the logo looks taller, like stretched. And the surface where the logo is looks longer too. To be confirmed later.

That's it! Hope you enjoyed watching and reading :)

Mirage

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
Note: The seconds runner red hand looks a bit weird on some photos due to the fact that I use HDR technique to create these pics. 3 shots were taken for every picture. Since the movement was in function all three shots were not precisely identical.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Beautiful pics of a beautiful watch, thanks for sharing!
Btw what you observed on hands is imho lume material overspilling from the back side of the hand. It's pretty common in PAMs with black hands and it can be removed by brushing gently the side of the hands with a toothpick.

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
Beautiful pics of a beautiful watch, thanks for sharing!
Btw what you observed on hands is imho lume material overspilling from the back side of the hand. It's pretty common in PAMs with black hands and it can be removed by brushing gently the side of the hands with a toothpick.

Thanks for the tip! :)

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
Wonder pictures and review. The gen dial is indeed one of the nicest I have ever seen.

Hands - This is probably the downside of this watch, the hands side is not painted, and the edge suffered from a poor press cutting. I think I might try to re-paint the side with black paint one day. The lume is even, just as the markers.

Yeah, same issue with most Mark XVI and XVII I have seen. Edges are poorly made and they would need to be re-painted.

Eschenpod

Renowned Member
21/11/12
Great review of a beautiful watch Mirage.
Really wish the Factory would have gone the extra mile and superlumed this rep.
Could have saved us lume nuts from having to send them off to one of our modders.
Other than that just slap on a custom strap and you're good to go.
I'll definitely be ordering this watch.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Oh boy, I wish I hadn't opened this thread! It looks stunning and your pics are super! Thanks for your time and effort!

hotwheels

Renowned Member
22/10/14
Bay Area, California
Nice pictures!
I really love this watch and would consider picking this up but have heard many negative comments about the secs @ 6. Have the factories improved this modified movement recently?

ortho

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
13/8/12
Cant wait to Get mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
As I expected - wonderful pics! Together with your review they have the potential to cost me some money... :balloon:

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
As I expected - wonderful pics! Together with your review they have the potential to cost me some money... :balloon:

It is worth it, really! And considering the 18% rebate from puretime before christmas, you should jump on the occasion now ;)

vingsam

Renowned Member
10/5/14
Great review!:thumbup:
The dial really pops up!!
I still need to wait for 5009 before pressing the "checkout" button :)

Ruski91

12/10/12
Hands - This is probably the downside of this watch, the hands side is not polished properly, and the edge suffered from a poor press cutting. I think I might try to re-polish / scrape the side of the hands one day. The lume is even, just as the markers.

Gorgeous watch and Fantastic photos as always. Need a proper strap asap :)

But i could not agree more with the statement i quoted above. I really wish the makers would take just a tiny bit more care when putting these together. Sometimes its extra lume on the hands that flows over, sometimes is just not polished. I would think that the makers put a great deal of time and money into developing a watch of this stature. They often buy a gen, dissect it and request various parts from various factories before putting all of the pieces together. I guess the small stuff is part of what separates these watches from the gen counterparts (And i know gens have plenty of QC issues as well) but all i am saying is paying attention to the little things could go such a long way.

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
We also have to remember that even Gens in the 500$ range dont have this level of built quality. I understand your point, but in the end, we are getting quite a lot for 350ish dollars. :)

But yeah... strap has to go!

CalABC

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
31/8/15
Nice pictures!
I really love this watch and would consider picking this up but have heard many negative comments about the secs @ 6. Have the factories improved this modified movement recently?

Every single iteration of a new sec@6 they say that have "updated" the movement but the reality is that it's essentially impossible to make the Sec@6 modification reliable. This was a direct quote coming from a watch repair guy who used to be well known in these forums but nowadays has semi-retired from rep watches after a bout with cancer.

wollerau

Known Member
26/10/15
I would love to see both 3777 ZF and 3878 ZF next to each other.. anybody? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeidroc

Horology Curious
11/12/15
Where can it be ordered? I am a newbee here and cannot find a link to ZF.

Also, I did try to fin the 3878 Spitfire on puretime, but could not find it!

WatchnScotch

Certified
10/12/10
Everyone just quit, I am tired of seeing these photos. You are going to have to answer to my wife when one of these shows up at my house :flowers1: