• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Portofino Moonphase - Small Review

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Hey everyone,

So I joined this forum back in October of 2012 i think, and i searched and searched and found that there was absolutely no love for the Portofino Moonphase around here.

Well, after thinking about it for a bit, i decided to bite the bullet and jump on a $108 dress watch. I wanted to post a small review here for everyone. I apologize in advance for the iPhone pics, i promise to get better pictures with my nikon later.

For now lets start with a few pictures of the gen to wet the whistle:

Gen3.JPG

Gen.jpg

Gen2.jpg

Gen4.JPG

So first lets agree on one thing. This is my no means a super rep, and for $108 i would not expect it to be one. That being said. This watch is Stunning and the pictures do not do it any justice. But for the sake of argument I can go over the flaws here.

IMG_1276.JPG

At first glance we see several things that are incorrect. First and foremost this is not a real Moonphase Complication (But we all knew that) this is however and fully functioning sun/moon subdial. And it looks pretty nice. On the Gen this is a different color (more beige i would say) on the rep it is silver.

Also there is a silver lining that surrounds both subdials. This is also missing on the gen. Rep subdials are also a tad bit smaller. On the gen you can see that the subdials cut off some of the numbers (11 & 1 up top and 5 & 7 on the bottom)

IMG_1281.JPG

Also i believe on the gen there is a sunburst effect that makes the dial seem grey at times. The rep has a solid back dial which does look nice but is missing that sunburst effect. The lugs look pretty good to me as do the hands and crystal. (There is a slightly recessed cp on the rep)

IMG_1280.JPG

The crown is another flaw. The gen crown has an entirely different shape. Not sure if the crown that is on the rep even exists for gen watches but it is not correct in any case.

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

The movement is entirely wrong. But we already knew that one. Not sure why they did not at least try to do a modified version of the FA Jones movement, but i guess they dont have a way of putting that sun/moon dial in there.

That being said, this picture does not give the movement any justice what so ever. The bridges you see here reflect light in a very interesting way. the movement in real life looks fantastic. Obviously anyone with IWC experience would tell in a split second, but to the rest of the 99.99999% of us out there, movement will look great!

One small pet pieve though, one part of the movement states Eighten (18) Jewels. Damn that Chinese spelling.

Overall, let me say that i really do love this watch. It feels fantastic on the hand. The movement is really loud (which i like - some people dont). For $108 its a steal. Compared to some of the things that we see selling for quadrouple the price, i feel that the craftsmanship that went into this watch is truly amazing. I am afraid my pictures dont show that, so i will definitely do a little photo shoot in the next few days to show what I mean.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome! :cheers:

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
This was my first rep, and I definitely agree with you on everything posted here!

Power reserve is great on mine, I think I got up to 6-7 days with a full wind - perhaps the dual-winding box on the back does work? The winding mechanism is nice and tactile, giving you solid feedback.

I do wish this was better rep'd though, the other IWC dress watch alternative is the 39mm automatic Portofino, which is a bit too small for my wrists, though I might give a try soon anyways

Thanks anyways for the review buddy :)

barth

5/10/12
Power reserve is great on mine, I think I got up to 6-7 days with a full wind - perhaps the dual-winding box on the back does work?

Yup the dual box does work ;)

Thinking about getting one, worried about the loud mov't though. Great review anyway, thanks ;)

Ruski91

12/10/12
Yup the dual box does work ;)

Thinking about getting one, worried about the loud mov't though. Great review anyway, thanks ;)

The movement is not ridiculously loud, but you can hear it when there is no noise around you. Very smooth and sounds great, for me anyway

Ruski91

12/10/12
Lol def no lume on this one. Its a classic vintage looking time piece.

You should definitely pick it up, looks fantastic with a suit. Im wearing it today and i cant stop staring at it.

barth

5/10/12
Ok ! I might consider it as well.... ;)

Ruski91

12/10/12
So after two months of owning this dress watch, i have a few things to add in terms of the review.

1. I can also confirm that the watch has excellent power reserve for a manual winding watch as mentioned by a few members here already. I don't know about 6-7 days, but at a full wind, mine will last 2 full days or 48 hours or so (Give or take a little), which i am perfectly fine with as I do not wear this every day. This one usually gets wrist time around once a week, so it is not a major concern. When it does stop though, it needs a little smack/shake to get going again before i wind it back up.

2. The crystal on this watch is a big time negative. This is not sapphire crystal, but i think we all knew that. It is clearly either mineral or acrylic and it feels a little crappy when i compare it to the FA Jones or any of my PAMs. That being said, i am trying to find out if there is any way to swap it out for something a little nicer. If anyone has any advice on this matter, please do let me know. I know there is no chance of getting a gen crystal for this watch (Nor would i really want to put a gen crystal on a $108 watch. Just something that actually feels like glass would be nice. A little AR wouldn't hurt either. Let me know your thoughts guys!

D

d4m.test

Ruski says 2 day power reserve, zero_deficit says 6-7 days. What's the consensus from other owners out there?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2