• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Portofino 3563 Gen vs. Rep

Albranius

Renowned Member
2/11/12
IWC Portofino 3563 Gen vs. Rep (including pics!)

Hi Folks!

Today my genuine IWC Portofino (3563) arrived. It's stunning! The replica is also a nice watch, but it doesn't compete with the real deal. It's pretty close, but there are a few flaws. In order of importance for me:

Dial color:
The first thing I noticed is the difference in color of the dial. The genuine is much more black than the rep. The replica looks more grey/anthracite than black, next to the genuine. Besides the color, the structure of the genuine dial is more "rough". The replica dials surface is more smooth, almost plain.
Then there is the lettering and the with stripes between the hour markers. In short words the genuine is a lot whiter and the letters are more thick.
I think the difference between dials are part the dial itself and part the AR. I assume when you change the AR of the replica into a blue one the color of the dial would be more the same, but I do think also then there will be a difference in dial color.

The hour markers from the rep aren't distinguishable with the genuine.
Like I also mentioned in my review of the 3563 replica, the date wheel font isn't correct. Besides that it positioned lower than the genuine. The genuine date wheel is directly place underneath the dial, were the replica has some nanometers space between them.

Left replica, right genuine.
VS1_zpsd767095d.jpg

PicShells.jpeg

The hands:
What I already noticed while lurking to the pictures of the genuine is the relief in the hands. The replicas hands are flat and a bit pointy at the and (like a sparrow), but the genuine are smooth edged and have round relief.
Besides the relief, the way they're mounted in the middle of the dial is also not the same. The genuine has a perfectly "pyramid" of hands, on the bottom is the hour marker, then the minute hand and as last the second hand. The end (were they're mounted to the dial) of the hands are perfectly in balance, were the replica hands aren't.
Also the second hand is shorter on the genuine and also more wide than the replica.

Update: After wearing the genuine for a month or so I can say the hands are a really big difference. The genuine hands are just screaming that they are there - due to the fact the really shine because of the relief -, while the replica hands aren't.

VS2_zps3bfc1a76.jpg

VS3_zps0a8b6695.jpg

Crystal & AR:
The crystal on the genuine is more flat than the replica. While wearing it you don't really notice it, but if you look close it's noticeable.
As people suggested the replica has colorless AR, while the genuine has a blue tint in his AR.

Above replica, under genuine
VS4_zps30016c8b.jpg

The crown:
First thing I noticed is the fact that the replicas crown sticks more outside the watch, nanometers. But, it's noticeable when wearing. Besides that the finish of the crown isn't as smooth as the genuine. The genuine hasn't edges, because they are smooth, and the replicas edges are pretty sharp.
The logo is the quite the same, but the genuine has more relief. Also noticeable is the round finish of the service where the logo is positioned at the replica, the genuine has a more flat finish.

Above replica, under genuine.
VS5_zps990284f7.jpg

Small stuff:
The screws of the case back aren't the same. The engraving at the back isn't as deep as the replica.

Finishing this thread, I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH MY GENUINE!!! :D :D :D

Regards,
Albranius

Some pics of the gen:
DSC03007_zps23802293.jpg

DSC03029_zpsd157c65b.jpg

DSC03025_zpse7400152.jpg

DSC03013_zpsb13ef8d2.jpg

Safely hidden under my shirt, like I prefer them :)
DSC03020_zpsb6b6470b.jpg

zergling

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/13
Thanks for sharing. Frankly, I can not tell the differences between gen and rep in your pictures? Could you give some clue?

Trica

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/10/12
Albranius, could you update the pictures? I am considering make a franken out of this and I would like ot know more about its flaws.

Thank you