• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bought a Sub(par)mariner and I feel scammed =(

dabringa

Looking Around
22/6/18
Last year June 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] I placed an order with Ryan for a Submariner 116610 LN Black Ceramic V8 1:1 Noob Best Edition SA3135 - $466 with shipping

I received the watch July 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and was originally pretty satisfied with my first replica purchase.

After wearing it once or twice a week for just 3 months, the band was all scratched up and the rolex cap which is on the clasp had fallen off. I contacted ryan he said that this is typical wear and tear and offered to send me a new “cap” for $30+10 shipping and I would then have to worry about getting it installed. I was not happy but figured it wasn’t worth the trouble of fixing it.

Then about 5 months in, the dial stopped working. I can’t adjust the date or the time. After I wait a day I can move the time dial approximately 30 minutes then it stops working. The date dial never adjusts. I contact Ryan and let him know the issue, he advises me to ship it back to China at my cost - $33. Gives me directions for shipping, I follow his directions exactly and wait. It takes almost a month for it to arrive, there was apparently a problem with the delivery and it required them to pick up the package from the post office, which they said they would do- but the item was never collected. I followed up with them multiple times with no resolution. Part of the issue was that this occurred around the time of Chinese new year which would explain why there was no one to receive the package and limited staff to pick it up. It was at the local post office for over a month and it was never claimed. 3 months later I am still without a watch. At this point Ryan is trying to assign the blame to me, first it was my handwriting (the airway bill was actually typed), then it wasn’t addressed properly although I followed his directions exactly. The USPS explaination was that the shipment was “unclaimed” and they were returning to sender. Then Ryan told me that he would send me a new address “without a customs issue” – this pretty much confirms that my watch was most likely held at customs and had to be claimed by the receiver – for obvious reasons they wouldn’t pick it up.

After 4 months in transit, I finally was returned my broken watch.

I would strongly suggest not doing business with this “Trusted Seller” – the quality of their product and their customer service were highly disappointing. What a waste of $500 =(

Dynaduck

Sales moderator
Advisor
6/4/11
I guess you have done your homework so you do know that they all get their watches from the same source, yes? Intime get their Noob V8’s from the same place as any other TD.

What happened here is just bad luck and part of the risk in this game. Sending a watch back to china is normally not a good option, which you would know if you had done your homework before buying.

A scratched bracelet, that will happen to a gen too. They are not exactly scratch proof either.

Contact a watchmaker on here and you’ll soon be wearing your V8 again.

Good luck!

Last edited:

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Sorry to read you have encountered some problems wearing your rep...you ordered on June the 22nd and the watch arrived on July the 6th so within 15 days, wow, that is fast...I guess this was in 2018?

Being here for about 1 year and this is your first post...You never introduced yourself on RWI or asked questions about anything...
Did you do some reading about buying reps in general?... If you had done so, most of the issues would have been clear to you, not resolved but you would understand about shipping back to TD's, about the Chinese New Year, ect. ect...

You did wear it for 3 months and the bracelet now has scratches?...Same as my gen Omega Speedmaster, it was scratched within 2 days.........If you don't want scratches, just don't wear it....

Regarding the crown on the clasp, that sucks.....but be realistic, you bought a replica for about 4 % of the original gen price,....all in the game and Ryan offering a new crown for $30 is a good solution imo.
The TD is not responsible for the duration of shipping, he would only suggest the safest way to get the watch back to him as it can be a pain in the $%^ss to pass CN customs. When it is Chinese New Year, everything is closed for about a month in CN, this is commonly known...
And a TD offering to send you a new watch after you wore it for 5 months deserves a 5 star rating, not all TD's offer this service....but you would have known this if you would have done some reading first.

Last edited:

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
After wearing it once or twice a week for just 3 months, the band was all scratched up and the rolex cap which is on the clasp had fallen off.
Your fault. You are going to scratch a gen Rolex aswell.

Then about 5 months in, the dial stopped working. I can’t adjust the date or the time. After I wait a day I can move the time dial approximately 30 minutes then it stops working. The date dial never adjusts.
Many Chinese clone movement have this issue, it happened to me on a A2836 and A2824 but it was an easy fix (watchsmith said so)
I think you should lower your expectation about a poorly made fake watch... Or just buy a Seiko from Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nur-Uhr and capice

dabringa

Looking Around
22/6/18
I did my research beforehand and thats why i went with a trusted dealer like Ryan.

And I totally understand the scratches but the cap falling off with barely any use, theres no excuse for that.

In regards to lowering my expectations, I purchased the highest end watch thats offered and it fell apart structurally and mechanically with limited use in a short period of time. If all replicas were built with this level of durability, lets be serious there would be no high end replica business.

And to be clear the seller never offered a new watch - he offered to repair my faulty watch. If he offered to replace mine with a new watch, that would mean he is standing by his product and I would be 100% satisfied.

Regarding the shipping and the new year, I totally understand but the seller advised in writing that they would collect the watch from the post office and never did.

Thanks Lorenzo for your advice on the fix, will look into it.

yongsum

Supporter
Certified
3/6/19
I'm very new to replicas, but I have "accidentally" bought a few on ebay. A couple I actually kept for a while because they just ran soooooooo nice. I mean the power reserve, accuracy, the winding, silent ticking. And these probably weren't super clones either, and definitely didn't have clone movements.
But that being said, at the price I will pay for a rep, I will not expect the quality of a gen. But from what I read, it is actually common to achieve that quality, again emphasis on don't expect it.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

lewisfr1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/14
Australia
You weren't scammed as you say , remember that you purchased a replica Rolex made in China , not a genuine Rolex made in Switzerland.

The gen product has an RRP of around $9000 , and has almost zero chance of failure , the Chinese copy at a cost of $400 will probably have a high chance of failure , so this obviously makes the Chinese copy a high risk purchase.

Last edited:

gnoelkered

Known Member
4/6/19
The rolex crown on the clasp? You can try ask around if anyone can sell u a used noob clasp as I think many members swopped to AR bracelets

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
In regards to lowering my expectations, I purchased the highest end watch thats offered and it fell apart structurally and mechanically with limited use in a short period of time. If all replicas were built with this level of durability, lets be serious there would be no high end replica business.
You have an issue with the movement... all the movement have the same quality level.
You paid more not for the movement... you paid more for aesthetical accuracy.
Bring it to your watchsmith... it will fix it... (mine was fixed for few Euro)

jmvand

Looking Around
8/7/19
The rolex crown on the clasp? You can try ask around if anyone can sell u a used noob clasp as I think many members swopped to AR bracelets

I am a noob to reps and a super noob to this board and boards in general..I have read so many posts in the last week I am finally starting to get confidence..I pulled the trigger on a Day / Date w/ leather strap from Toro and expect it here this Fri. Pumped to get my first!! I figured the DD in leather would be a fairly easy / basic rep for my first. My next rep will be a VC Overseas - Anyone have a good recommendation for the VC dealer? I will also get a black or Hulk Sub or both...
Question -
Is the AR bracelet on the sub way better than the Noob v9? From what I've read the Noob v7-9 are all top notch. I don't have one yet, so I don't have my own opinion. What's the difference?
Thanks!!

gnoelkered

Known Member
4/6/19
I am a noob to reps and a super noob to this board and boards in general..I have read so many posts in the last week I am finally starting to get confidence..I pulled the trigger on a Day / Date w/ leather strap from Toro and expect it here this Fri. Pumped to get my first!! I figured the DD in leather would be a fairly easy / basic rep for my first. My next rep will be a VC Overseas - Anyone have a good recommendation for the VC dealer? I will also get a black or Hulk Sub or both...
Question -
Is the AR bracelet on the sub way better than the Noob v9? From what I've read the Noob v7-9 are all top notch. I don't have one yet, so I don't have my own opinion. What's the difference?
Thanks!!

Well, on my noob daytona, it definitely is better. It just feels more.... aesthetically correct.

Reactions: jmvand

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Hey, Ryan is not a scammer. If you feel scammed by him, just send it back to him, and he will fix the issue. As far as scratches, this Daytona I purchased from him, running as perfect as gen (after a bit of regulation by myself). Scratches I put myself when I tried to climb a wall. I will not blame him for such, rather I will ask a premium when/if I sell.

VTehwZ.jpg

Eldonsimon

Supporter
Certified
16/8/16
Sunny Barcelona
This isn’t like buying something from Amazon - another one who has unrealistic expectations

Last edited: