• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Care new watch

Flonti

Looking Around
21/3/20
Hi so I was wondering what I should do when I receive ay rep watch. Complete noob here and I haven't ordered anything (yet), but I read things about winding and winding cases.

* When I receive the watch, do I have to wind the crown? Is there a certain amount?
* People said that you should bring watch in for a service, is this a must and does every watchmaker services rep (or they don't care)?
​​​
Do I receive this information from the TD or is there is special guide I missed?

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
If you have a local watchmaker (independent not high street chains) they are most likely to service the watch as long as you tell them what movement and allow them to replace weak parts at a reasonable cost.

Though not many tell you this, but when you move the hands on a watch a. never do it between 10pm and 02am as the works of the watch are in motion
b. never ever move the hands backwards only forwards - you can work out the sense in this.
c. never try to change the date backwards only do it forwards - you can work out the sense in this as well.

When buying from a trusted dealer all the information about the watch is listed next to it.

Welcome to RWI and enjoy some good reading :wave-1:

The following link has new content
https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...45#post7808745:welcome:

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
The first day you receive it you have to wait for the midnight and a full moon. Don't take any plastic off yet. During the first full moon when you received it leave it outside your home surrounded by a circle of candles along with some cedar tree leafs and black pepper seeds. Light the candles for the night and let it sit there till the morning.

When you go collect it the next morning from your front yard remove the plastic shake it once so it starts put it on your wrist and you're ready to go.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You won't receive any sort of user guide with a rep. How you set it and wind it will depend on what watch you're getting. So please let us know!

The very first rep I got was a Submariner. I immediately got annoyed because I couldn't pull the crown out to set the time and wind it. Then I discovered that you have to unscrew the crown before you can pull it out... I cringe at the memory - but no one had told me, and I hadn't read such a basic instruction anywhere, so it caught me out.

Simply, when you first get the watch you'll want to set the time and wind it. About 20-30 winds should be fine. You can't over-wind an automatic watch movement. If you wear the watch constantly, and it has an automatic movement, then it should stay wound (if the rotor is efficient). But it's quite possible it'll stop if unworn overnight, in which case you can manually wind it to get some charge back in it again.

DO NOT use the date change function when the watch is between 10 pm - 2 am, as the movement is in the date change phase and can be screwed up if you manually advance it. When time/date setting, I always wind the hands forwards to make sure the date has clicked over once, then advance the hands well past 2 am (or to the correct time) and then set the date. The date should only ever be advanced - so if it's the 19th but the watch stopped on the 20th, too bad - wind it forwards all the way round the carousel till it's at 19.

Whether you want it serviced is a matter of personal preference. I don't have my watches serviced - I'd rather save that expense till something goes wrong. But plenty of folk will recommend that you get your new watch serviced, as Chinese watch assembling isn't a stringently controlled process and your watch may be under or over-oiled.

Last edited: