• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How many times can you RL until your TD gets upset?

hare9lon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/2/19
SF Bay Area
I am a first time buyer of a rep and have noticed 2 significant flaws in the first two versions I was sent of a Seamaster Spectre MKS. The first had a bad "12" number on the bezel, it basically wasn't there. The second had a bad "5" number on the bezel with it scratched and not clear. Now, they sent me a third version with a misaligned dial, it's rotated right slightly.

My question is based on your experience, how many times have you RL a watch until you've gotten what you've wanted? Do they get upset? Will they stop working with you?

I understand these are reps and they aren't perfect. The movement imperfections and requirement of servicing I can live with. But when it's something superficial I'm going to see daily obviously when wearing it, I feel like I should RL. Wanted to understand the point of view of those who have been in the rep game longer than me. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kostas1990

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I’d love to see pictures of the watches you rejected. If I was a TD I would boot your ass after the second rejection. Again, it all depends on the flaws. How about some pictures?

Reactions: ticktocker

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
I’d love to see pictures of the watches you rejected. If I was a TD I would boot your ass after the second rejection. Again, it all depends on the flaws. How about some pictures?

+1

if you have to ask how often is too much you are probably asked or will ask one time too much hehe...

and you are not going to be satisfied in this hobby anytime soon...

eta2893

1/3/19
With TT, it would be the first rejection :D would get something like
"go live with it"

Reactions: d3s19n

hare9lon

4/2/19
SF Bay Area
https://imgur.com/a/aqzqTIq

First pic, the "0" on the Bezel
Second pic, the "5" on the Bezel
Third Pic, the dial misalignment

Perhaps I didn't do enough research before diving into this hobby but from the pictures I've seen while reading through the forums, I thought I didn't notice significant flaws like this. Perhaps I've been wrong and my expectations are too high. Appreciate the feedback and resetting my expectations.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
The 0 and 5 seems quite bad. I wonder if the issue could have been fixed with some careful cleaning. If its paint flecking or chips on the bezel numerals then rejecting it is definitely justified. TBH considering the poor QC you have been getting, it could be a factory issue so i would just accept the dial misalignment and fix it locally.

Some TDs are better than others when it comes to getting good pieces, especially from the smaller makers.

BIONONE

28/4/17
https://imgur.com/a/aqzqTIq

First pic, the "0" on the Bezel
Second pic, the "5" on the Bezel
Third Pic, the dial misalignment

Perhaps I didn't do enough research before diving into this hobby but from the pictures I've seen while reading through the forums, I thought I didn't notice significant flaws like this. Perhaps I've been wrong and my expectations are too high. Appreciate the feedback and resetting my expectations.

relatable issues - if the TD can understand what you are pointing out without being ridiculous it should be fine to ask for a compromise.

nothing wrong with asking for some detail shots, cleaning the supposed dirt and then decide :)

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
The first two look there may be reflection or dirt issues. You should have just asked for a cleaning and/or new pics. I think the watches were fine. There looks like there is an alignment issue with the third watch but that’s what happens when you reject a watch that may (or may not) have an issue. The next watch is worse.

hare9lon

4/2/19
SF Bay Area
The first two look there may be reflection or dirt issues. You should have just asked for a cleaning and/or new pics. I think the watches were fine. There looks like there is an alignment issue with the third watch but that’s what happens when you reject a watch that may (or may not) have an issue. The next watch is worse.

Both of the First and Second pictures are after the new picture request. These were the updated pictures they sent me so that's why I rejected. But I get what you are saying.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Both of the First and Second pictures are after the new picture request. These were the updated pictures they sent me so that's why I rejected. But I get what you are saying.

These watches are all going to have issues. Just remember, if you accept the watch and can’t live with the issue then you can sell it in the M2M sales section. Just be honest as to why you are selling it. 99% of the time you will never notice these issues when the watch is on your wrist.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
It is your right to reject watches with obvious flaws, but the next watch may have different set of issue(s) as fellow members have said. That happened to me a few times. There will always be something. I just pick the watch with flaws I can live with.

Martycus

Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
If you intend to keep it long term, then a watch with flaws you're apt to live with can be overlooked. If you intend to sell it, then pick one in which you believe a buyer will purchase.

I intended to purchase a white 116500 v2 but of the three different sets of QC picture I requested, the rolex coronet on the dial was off centered. I then asked to change to a black dial and on the second set of QC pictures, finally accepted one that was centered. In my case, it was five different watches I asked for.

-prick

15/1/17
well the first two are just bad
there is just no way the TD didnt notice and obviously tried to sell it because he probably thought you wouldnt reject
its almost an insult to the buyer…

sometimes you guys seem to be a bit too much on the TDs side, after all its a couple 100 dollars you paid for this watch

seikopsycho

Horology Curious
24/7/18
I rejected two spectre watches before accepting the third one. I wouldn't feel bad about it. Puretime sent me an awesome watch with no flaws because I turned down the first two. Only thing is, qc pics for the third watch took about three weeks to get. If you're patient, I think you will be satisfied. If you decide reps aren't what you want, you can always ask for a refund.

hackkakid

18/1/19
Merica
Yikes, rejected with good reason. Crazy some TD's will try to push flawed units like those to customers. I guess I have been fortunate as I have almost always had very high quality pieces presented to me on the first go around...

Flypton

Horology Curious
12/10/17
Your reasons for rejecting these two watches are perfectly reasonable. If people would only reject watches with quality issues as big as these, there would be no problem. I am more concerned about this trend of drawing lines on pictures that were obviously taken at an angle, or rejecting watches because date or cyclops are slightly misaligned.

Jobe0074

So many watches so little time
Supporter
Certified
18/1/19
Australia
You can always try Lucy for a more personal QC
Saying that, you could always find something if you look hard enough, they are reps after all - most things are fixable if you invest in some decent tools & do your homework