• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Customs

wreckman

Horology Curious
10/1/19
UK
Hi I have read through hundreds of posts but cannot find anything in reference to customs seizures. Several posts mention the risk of a seizure but can someone tell me what percentage of sales actually have had their sale seized. I am looking to purchase a 116613 tt in blue. I am in the UK. Any advice greatly appreciated ?

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Hey,

UK customs should not be a problem. Most TDs even use UK as a triangle shipping point from Asia to Europe.

Reactions: jcher

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
I'm only speaking from my own experience of buying/selling in the U.S. and Canada.
I dont think custom has the time or the manpower to inspect even a small percentage of shipment coming in and out.

Either you have to be very unlucky (random inspection) or the packaging/declaration itself is suspicious for them to consider inspecting it.
And I'm pretty sure the seller knows what to write/what not to write.

Mind you, Rolex did have a "trademark" rule when it comes to U.S. custom (not sure if they still do), but again, you have to declare it for them to know what's in the packaging.
Chances are very slim that they would inspect a common package for a $100-200 watch.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The risk of seizure is virtually zero. There are instances yes, but that said customs only has the time and manpower to inspect a very small percentage of the packages. Wisdom when buying is don't get greedy and buy a bunch at the same time. Buy one or two at a time and have them shipped accordingly. Also the United kingdom is one of the safest countries in Europe to ship to. That's the country that the dealers triangulate through for members in other countries with strict customs like France, Germany etc

Jxwatch1

Supporter
Certified
3/10/18
Ive shipped a lot and received a lot. But im in asia.

Logically what i do is the ff

Separate the head from the watch if possible

Declare one of the ff to be safe:
Souvenir bracelet
Broken watch case
Horological part
Clock case for repair
Broken case

Some people also put a job order inside written so that if in case it gets opened by a random officer, the person looking will think that its broken, has no value and for repair.

When i pack i also make sure that the face of the watch is covered. Reason is that i dont want any random person seeing it as “rolex” as its widely known. But if its covered, it takes a lot of effort for these guys to uncover just to see. They have thousands of shipments and i dont think they will put effort to uncover the watch to see its brand. No logo seen is safer.

They scan these stuff and imagine a lot going through customs. Your package will be detected as a tiny small metal object. Compared to a lot shipped it will be deprioritized to check hence i agree shipping risk is small. If its checked its either its by random (youre unlucky) or you didnt declare it safely like above.

Hope this helps buddy.

wreckman

Horology Curious
10/1/19
UK
Many thanks to all for the time taken to reply, I believe I now have a better understanding of customs and seizures, I will now go ahead with purchase.

nige76

31/8/10
Yes agree UK shipping is pain free. Very occasionally you get asked to pay a few quid extra on vat and the royal mail charge about 15 quid admin fee. Most times sails straight through. I've also returned watches to China for issues to be resolved and always had them fixed and returned. Stick to TDs listed here and you can't go wrong. Enjoy this hobby but be warned it's addictive ????

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
I ship to Conus and USA without issues from UK. I declare contents is a watch for service/repair and return and include a note inside to the buyer asking for mates rates as its a gift for my father.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
I had a package stopped in customs recently containing two reps, an IWC and a JL moon phase. I was 100% convinced they would be gone for good. I kept watching the DHL tracking and after about four days it was back en route to me. Two days later the DHL bag was delivered with the custom tape "OPENED AND RESEALED BY CUSTOMS" all over the bag, I was sure there was a notification letter contained inside stating "Ha, your Scewed" I opened the box, and the two boxes inside were again wrapped with the with customs tape. Opening the two boxes, both watches were in there, in perfect condition. The only thing I can assume is that since the shipping document stated "fashion watches" they were allowed through as samples. Either that or the custom agent just didn't care and allowed them through. Who knows why they let them through, and honestly I don't care, I am just happy and grateful I received my watches!

Reactions: drmckenn

milzcastro

8/4/18
If customs does take a watch you got from a TD are you out of luck and basically lost your money or do most of the dealers replace the watch?

I always wondered about that.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
If customs does take a watch you got from a TD are you out of luck and basically lost your money or do most of the dealers replace the watch?

I always wondered about that.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

The TDs will reship with proof of seizure via a custom’s seizure letter unless you buy from a wholesale seller. Read each TD’s Terms and Conditions.

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
I think the only TD that will not replace the watch if seized are the ones offering “wholesale “ pricing and “retail” pricing.
As the other member mentioned, read the TD’s terms carefully to be assured of a replacement if seizure was to occurs.

Doikk

10/12/17
I think the only TD that will not replace the watch if seized are the ones offering “wholesale “ pricing and “retail” pricing.
As the other member mentioned, read the TD’s terms carefully to be assured of a replacement if seizure was to occurs.

Thank you! I also wondered the same.