• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Steinhart Ocean One to Rolex MOD...

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
This is another mod I did myself, using a Steinhart Ocean One 39 and replacing the dial and hands with Rolex ones (Raffles dials).

Simple and quick mod that steps up the "homage" to the next level :)

43827027721_5bc9ea4a57_b.jpg

Alkuhf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/10/17
Nice mod

I have question regarding dial

Is the dial size for Steinhart and rolex are same

Also where I can find raffles dial

Thank you in advance

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
Nice one... a 6538 dial would look nice as well

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Agree :)
A more vintage look. I would need to remove the maginifier on the crystal tho (it's easy to do I know).

Next project might be the Steinhart Yachtmaster.
cnTXa.jpg

Maybe then I can use the black/gold dial on the Yachtmaster and use the Black ceramic bezel with another dial (I have a tudor vintage dial that might work there).
cn72y.png

__________________________________________________ _______

Alkuhf, the dial size is 29mm (the same for submariners and Steinhart Ocean One 39 - only the 39).
I bought the dials at http://rafflesdials.com/

Cheers

Reactions: Dale21st

Tusubasa

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
8/9/18
U.K.
That is not stepped up onto anything in my opinion. Why on earth would you mod a Steinhart with a Rolex dial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Why on Earth would you buy a replica watch?
I do it for the fun and pleasure I get from it.
To create something different, for me, and only me...

I feel good when I look at the watches I mod.
Plus, Steinhart quality is beyond average, and the watches are not expensive.
Easy mods, reliable movements, beautiful watches at the end. Just that...

Cheers

Nirado

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/7/18
Balkans
Do you think you could mod a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage with an VIntage Rolex Dial, brush the case a bit, and get a 1950s Rolex Sub rep?

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
I could mod a steinhart ocean one 39 (the 41mm version uses a bigger dial).

I know nothing about polishing and brushing :p
I just replace the dial and hands (it is a simple thing to do).

Cheers

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
also just out of interest does this mean you get a fully functional dive watch that looks like a Rolex? I'd be interested in that!

In theory, yes. The same 30ATM / 1000ft / 300m as the Rolex submariner.
But I would test it after modifying it and go diving with it.

Cheers

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
I can't sell because I live in another planet (Switzerland) :p
They are a pain in the *ss when it comes to customs.
In this case it would be even worse because it would be considered as a counterfeit product.

But you can easily do these mods yourself (or with someone who knows how to do it).
I just bought a Steinhart Ocean One 39 (on my case, I bought two) a 29mm Rolex dial and hands from Raffles Dials and you only need to disassemble the steinhart and replace the dial and hands (the hands are kinda tricky for a beginner).

Any watchmaker would do that in minutes :)

Cheers

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Yes.
Be gentle :)

I work with watches, so for me it's a very simple thing to do.
But when I started I took time to study a bit (I learnt more on the internet than working with watches :p)

I saw lots of videos to know the basics.

For example, this video shows a complete build using parts sourced from eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDfde-nmtKg&t=443s

Use gloves or fingertips. Try not to touch the movement with your skin (not a problem if you do, but try not to :p)

Make sure to be in a clean environment (try to be as much dust free as you can) and be patient.
Patience is the key word.

To remove the hands I use a piece of plastic on top of the dial + hands, in order to protect the dial, and then I use watchmaker tweezers to remove the hands.
(I bought a starter kit some time ago - *****************.com/4adtTGr.jpg).

Mounting the dial is easy (make sure to buy a dial with 29mm and feet that go with the 2824-2 movement that the Steinhart uses - If you buy the dial at Raffles Dials it's easy).
You just need to loosen the feet holders, take off the steinhart dial and then put the Rolex one. After that you tighten the feet holders and the dial will rest in place.
Make sure to clean the dial with care - I only use a blower and cotton swabs - don´t use alcohol or any solution because you will damage the dial.
The dials usually comes very clean.

After all that the mounting of the hands it's the hardest.
You will need to re-insert the stem into the movement and turn it just until the date changes - at that point you know you are at midnight and you will start by putting the hour hand.
Use the watchmaker Tweezers to put and align the hour hand at 12 o'clock.
After that do as shown in the video above - apply pressure on the sides of the mount and be gentle. You dont want to apply to much pressure as the hour hand cannot touch the dial.

When the hour hand is done it's time to put the minutes hand. I put it at 12 o'clock, but u can now move the hour hand to another position if you like it (but i recommend leaving at 12).
Again, align with tweezers and be gentle when putting it (no pun intended :p).
The minutes hand cannot touch the hour hand.
When placed, make sure the hand it's no crooked, that it won't touch indexes and the other hands.

Finally, comes the hardest (to me) - the seconds hand.
It has a small mounting mechanism and it's hard to align (You need to be patient, as I've said).
Once again, I like to put it at 12 o'clock.

It's not an easy task to a beginner.
Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier and easier, but it can be stressfull.
I would start with cheaper projects if I were you :)

(Sorry for eventual misspelling here and there)

Cheers

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Yes.
Be gentle :)

I work with watches, so for me it's a very simple thing to do.
But when I started I took time to study a bit (I learnt more on the internet than working with watches :p)

I saw lots of videos to know the basics.

For example, this video shows a complete build using parts sourced from eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDfde-nmtKg&t=443s

Use gloves or fingertips. Try not to touch the movement with your skin (not a problem if you do, but try not to :p)

Make sure to be in a clean environment (try to be as much dust free as you can) and be patient.
Patience is the key word.

To remove the hands I use a piece of plastic on top of the dial + hands, in order to protect the dial, and then I use watchmaker tweezers to remove the hands.
(I bought a starter kit some time ago - *****************.com/4adtTGr.jpg).

Mounting the dial is easy (make sure to buy a dial with 29mm and feet that go with the 2824-2 movement that the Steinhart uses - If you buy the dial at Raffles Dials it's easy).
You just need to loosen the feet holders, take off the steinhart dial and then put the Rolex one. After that you tighten the feet holders and the dial will rest in place.
Make sure to clean the dial with care - I only use a blower and cotton swabs - don´t use alcohol or any solution because you will damage the dial.
The dials usually comes very clean.

After all that the mounting of the hands it's the hardest.
You will need to re-insert the stem into the movement and turn it just until the date changes - at that point you know you are at midnight and you will start by putting the hour hand.
Use the watchmaker Tweezers to put and align the hour hand at 12 o'clock.
After that do as shown in the video above - apply pressure on the sides of the mount and be gentle. You dont want to apply to much pressure as the hour hand cannot touch the dial.

When the hour hand is done it's time to put the minutes hand. I put it at 12 o'clock, but u can now move the hour hand to another position if you like it (but i recommend leaving at 12).
Again, align with tweezers and be gentle when putting it (no pun intended :p).
The minutes hand cannot touch the hour hand.
When placed, make sure the hand it's no crooked, that it won't touch indexes and the other hands.

Finally, comes the hardest (to me) - the seconds hand.
It has a small mounting mechanism and it's hard to align (You need to be patient, as I've said).
Once again, I like to put it at 12 o'clock.

It's not an easy task to a beginner.
Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier and easier, but it can be stressfull.
I would start with cheaper projects if I were you :)

(Sorry for eventual misspelling here and there)

Cheers

Just watched that video, awesome, have subscribed to his channel, thanks for the info, by the way the starter kit link doesn't work can you point me in the right direction, bought a cheap one off ebay and it was truly a POS!

Reactions: Mille M