• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of BREITLING Navitimer two-tone Asian 7750/28.8

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
haBL6Wc.jpg

First I have to say one thing: Breitling Navitimer two-tone isn't excatly my "usual style". This is my "PoM Award watch" and I wanted this model for unselfish reasons (believe it or not). Personally, I prefer the standard stainless steel but since I (and many others) have already reviewed the stainless Navitimers to death I chose the TT model.

Even though there's a big and constant demand there haven't been too many reviews of the gold reps. So why not write one?

This doesn't mean I don't like gold watches, even my 2 first replicas were Rolex TT Subs. Far from it, I absolutely adore many TT models, including this Navitimer. I just feel I'm a bit too young to comfortably wear gold. Gold doesn't generally go well with bulky and masculine sports models, but I don't feel Navitimer falls into this category: With only 30 meters of water resistance and highly polished bracelet Navitimer isn't exactly a hardcore "sports chronograph". So gold, in my opinion, goes really well with it. It's extremely beautiful and dressy, without being too "flashy" and vulgar.

As a replica the TT Navitimer is excellent. The center plated gold links look authentic to my eye. But then I'm not a jeweler, and I have no idea how the rep would "survive" under close inspection. I can only say that this watch has far superior feel compared to the two-tone Submariners I have owned, probably due the "solid" middle links and overall heavy weight of the watch and the bracelet.

Of course I can't make any technical statements... or say anything about the longevity of the gold plating. I can only say that I've never heard anyone complaining about the plating fading off of the bezel. And even if the bracelet starts to fade... we all know how well Navitimer goes with a leather strap. The two-tone model is even available on a leather strap as a default.

I also feel this watch goes best with suits and white sleeves. So it's not exactly a watch to use with the casual sports clothes that I usually wear.

00zpTHv.jpg

Unlike the old 12-9-6 two-tone version, the Tricompax model SHOULD have silver subdial hands (which are correct on the rep). This particular model is available with blue and black dials (with or without big Arabic dial numerals).

Picture of the genuine blue version:​
arp7Zm2.jpg

I owned and reviewed the old rep version of the Navitimer "Serie Speciale Fighter's Edition". You can also find the explanation of the "slide rule" from that writeup.

Instead of the natural 12-9-6 subdial layout my watch uses the "Tricompax" arrangement, which is used on the modern Navitimers. The old version was already excellent replica, but the new batch of Navitimers have better and improved subdials. This new watch has also improved luminosity on the hands, and of course the new high-beat movement. Other than that the "base watch" seems to be exactly the same. But why would they even change something that was already very well made?

Andreww has explained this model in detail in our Breitling Guide, so I don't bother going there once again. Everything that Andrew says applies to this rep as well.

The rep of TT Navitimer is also available in the 12-9-6 version, which is an excellent option if you're planning to swap the movement to Swiss Valjoux at some point. But as mentioned before that watch should have black subdial hands (they're silver on the rep). Personally, I couldn't care less. But I felt this fact would be important for some... and thus worth mentioning here.

hQuupjK.jpg

My only minor complaint is the bracelet size. I have almost 8' wrist and it's very tight on me, with all links intact and the micro adjustment set to maximum. Actually I prefer my watches tight but this is a bit too much. It's wearable but a bit uncomfortable. So if you have big wrists I suggest you ask for an extra link from your dealer.

The fliplock clasp is the same as on the stainless steel models. It's highly polished and collects scratches very easily.

NP6bXHO.jpg

Conclusion: The replica is excellent, and this is probably the most beautiful watch I have owned. Personally, I'm not really looking to impress anyone with my watches, but if that's what you're after (and want to look like million dollars) I can't think of a better rep. The two-tone Navitimer is extremely impressive, and almost ridiculously beautiful.

I can recommend this rep for everyone who are looking forward to add a two-tone watch into their collections. But keep in mind: the genuine retails at $7000, so it might also be a bit "over the top" for some.

My biggest thanks goes once again to the legendary ***Eddie Lee*** and the RWG Admin team. Thanks also to my mate Pugwash for his "delivery help".

YcnLBrL.jpg

Panerino

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/06
Nice write-up on this impressive model.....it has been added to my list of must-haves :D :D :D

paulV

4/11/06
E X C E L L E N T Review By-Tor. I think this will be my next one... :p

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Excellent write up By-Tor. This is truly one of the most beautiful pieces out there right now!

rek001

16/3/06
Excellent review By-Tor, thanks so much!

"Ridiculously beautiful" - I like that. I am so torn now between getting tha all SS Serie Speciale, blue dial, and this one.

But with this subdial layout - is the movement the tempermental asian 7750 modded to run seconds at 6? I realize it is the new 28.8 bph, but it's my understanding that even those modded to run secs at 6 may have problems.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
The movement is modified for the Tricompax layout, but the running seconds remains at the 9:00 position. This movement, although not quite as good as the true 7750 version, is far more reliable than what is in the daytonas.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Once again, superb review. Excellent pics, as well. Reviews like this with great words and pics are just what we need.

I usually think the Navitimer steel bracelets are too blingy, but on this two-tone, they make sense. Odd that.

rek001

16/3/06
Thanks Andreww! That's great news.

I agree, Pugs. The more I look at this TT effect the more I like it. The Navi is a busy design overall, between the information encrusted dial, the scalloped bezel and the very linky bracelet, but somehow the touches of gold here and there seem to really enhance the design. The black dial worrks really well with the gold also.

I could see wearing this watch with a nice silk hawaiian shirt and expensive jeans.

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
I don't understand why they couldn't get the slide rule right on TT models. I wish they would make this TT with stick markers on a blue face like the GEN pictured, I asked everyone and no one can get one. Still a beautiful watch and a great review.

jjrodr

Known Member
21/8/06
By-Tor I've seen some of your reviews and i already both two watches due to your great reviews. Now i was going to buy another watch and after this review i decided to buy this, Great job with the review and the dealers can thank you because when i see your reviews i want to buy the watch (the forum need's more of this).
Regards
João Rodrigues

dvn

27/5/06
I could not agree more with By-tor about this watch. i got mine from River a week ago and it is very beautiful watch. I have mine black dial with stick markers.

Are they all came from the same factory?

D

d4m.test

@Joey......you didn't ask me.....and I have the blue with stick markers...well at least until some of the members who enquired about it...send Paypal.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
nguyendd said:
I could not agree more with By-tor about this watch. i got mine from River a week ago and it is very beautiful watch. I have mine black dial with stick markers.

Are they all came from the same factory?

I believe so. I would go even further and guess that all our rep Navitimers come from the same factory. I could be wrong though.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
rek001 said:
I could see wearing this watch with a nice silk hawaiian shirt and expensive jeans.

I never understood the "expensive Jeans" thing. They all look the same to me. But hey, maybe that's what most people think of the watches too. :D

PS: Thanks all for the nice comments.
PS2: I see someone of the admin team already "sticked" this. Thanks, that's a nice compliment. ;)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
why is the 12-6-9 version not shown on the brietling web site? i can only find the 3-6-9 version.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
hk45ca said:
why is the 12-6-9 version not shown on the brietling web site? i can only find the 3-6-9 version.

I was under the impression that the 12-9-6 Navitimer isn't on production anymore. Not in stainless, TT or gold.

I could be wrong though.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
it looks like the end links are diffrent for that model or year.