• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Review]Breitling Avenger Blacksteel - Under Construction

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
This is certainly one of my favourite Breitling watches. Let's enjoy the eyecandy for a couple of days first while I am working on the text for this review ;) This will give you hints on what will come next :)

P6280746.jpg

P6280750.jpg

P6280754.jpg

P6280760.jpg

P6280765.jpg

P6280780.jpg

P6280783.jpg

P6280795.jpg

P6280799.jpg

P6280800.jpg

P6280806.jpg

P6280808.jpg

P6280809.jpg

Enjoy!

dante98

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/5/09
takashi, look forward to the review ... should be getting my blacksteel v2 any day now. nice pics.

Breitlinglover

11/6/09
I was looking at a gen blacksteel and if Im not mistaken noticed that the color red they used on the hands is the same as the red on the numerals around the inner wall of the bezel where as the rep the hands are more of an orange tint to them......the color of the numerals on the inner bezel of the rep looks correct though.

these 2 shots are of the gen..........compare to above pics.

bklacksteel.jpg

bklacksteel1.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well, that is a computer generated picture. Let me assure you, the part on the rep that doesn't convince me is only the dial (very minor). Examples: uneven lume dots, quality of lume and how the raised numbers look like on the dial. The rest... I think its pretty good. For the money (this watch is already under 300USD from a few dealers), this is probably the best non ceramic (black/PVD/whatever) replica watch you can get. There are complains, but no worry, more about that on the review.

Breitlinglover

11/6/09
takashi said:
Well, that is a computer generated picture. Let me assure you, the part on the rep that doesn't convince me is only the dial (very minor). Examples: uneven lume dots, quality of lume and how the raised numbers look like on the dial. The rest... I think its pretty good. For the money (this watch is already under 300USD from a few dealers), this is probably the best non ceramic (black/PVD/whatever) replica watch you can get. There are complains, but no worry, more about that on the review.

Oh no complaints........just what I noticed or thought I noticed. I still want one :D

oh btw the top pic is not computer generated.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I am referring to the second picture. Because I notice even on the gen, the ring outside the bezel pearl should have a darker black tone. The hands are indeed slightly brighter red on the rep. Contrary to the red colour on the tachy inner ring, this has slightly orangy tint. If you notice on my Avenger Titanium, that is more accurate.

Breitlinglover

11/6/09
Yes I thought I did notice the color on the titanium to be a bit darker and in line with what the blacksteel red color hands should be but I thought it was just a difference in angle changing the color a bit.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I would like to take this opportunity to take a more informal approach when reviewing the watch, as such you will be allowed to ask any questions related to this watch. First, I would like to talk more about this watch specification as described by most dealer:

Name: Breitling Avenger Skyland Blacksteel M13380 Replica
Movement: Asian 7750, 28800bph
Crystal: Sapphire, double sided AR coated
Case: Treated Stainless Steel Case (more about this later)
Caseback: Stainless Steel (153/2000)
Straps: Rubber with Breitling Diver's style tongue buckle (on the piece above, it's genuine Breitling Calf, tongue buckle).

This watch has been around for quite some time. However, at the beginning, I feel that the price was really steep hovering at 428USD. Recent introduction by one of the dealer here, brought down the price quite considerably. Nevertheless, please take note that there are at least 3 versions of this watch on the market made by at least 2 makers. I would not go into details on the differences but if you are interested, feel free to ask.

Out of the box, the watch comes with rubber straps. This, while it looks pretty much like the genuine Breitling strap, is still not up to genuine standard. The smell of vanilla is present on this one. Exact same smell like you will get from Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL Grey Chrono limited edition. This makes me believe that this watch comes from the same factory as that Chopard. There are other makers who make this watch and it smells differently. The strap feels softer than the genuine strap but slightly thicker. The genuine does not have any smell (neutral). The rep strap is nonetheless feels pretty comfortable on the wrist.

A minor problem appears when I received the watch. The rotor seems to be quite loose and making screeching sound as if it touches the caseback. It seems that there was a pretty big sticky dirt on the inner side of the caseback. This needs to be cleaned. Nonetheless, the problem was gone after cleaning the caseback and tightening the rotor screw just to be sure.

Movement wise, it has been running about 40 secs fast a day. That's far too much IMHO because most of the Asian 7750 that comes out of box usually is about 10 secs fast a day and it will stabilise nearer to 5 secs fast a day after a couple of weeks of usage. Nothing to complain on the chronograph and datewheel, they are very good. Chrono second hand doesn't stutter and glides upon starting like a ballerina on ice-skating ring. Minute counter changes exactly like the ETA7750, that is to say, it changes when the chrono second hand is passing through the 60 seconds mark.

The case seems to be of the same quality as the Avenger Skyland, except this one feels more refined when unscrewing and screwing the crown. Best point of having the case treated with dark grey-black coating (definitely the same colour as the genuine, much like IWC Top Gun Ceramic Chrono colour), the case has brushed finishing. This does not attract scratches, etc and certainly the coating or maybe the heat treated case looks exceptionally well made to withstand scratches. Think of it as Tegimented steel like what Sinn/SUG has done to some watches. This alone justifies the extra dollars spent on this watch. Take note that this watch has already been priced under 300USD.

So, that's all for these aspects, you may wish to ask further about smaller details. The bottom line is, this watch is worth what it is priced today. I doubt it will go any lower than what we have seen. No modification required except the lume on hands, dial and pearl. However, owning many watches with great lume, it's only a cosmetic issue rather than a practical one. So, no reluming on this piece to me. Just wear it as it is, when it breaks, just put another movement in it. Well done!

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Good summary, I agree with you on the reluming, on mine I can still see the time 5h after it was charged.

dante98

24/5/09
Nice review Takashi. I have a dilemma - have both the blacksteel v2 and the bce v4. Which one would you keep? Tks in advance.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
That really depends on your preference. To me, I am keeping the Blacksteel (sold my last BCE already). The BCE is a nice Breitling rep, no doubt about it but the gen dial mod for this one is more like a necessity.

nevikwen

12/6/09
NICE LUME DOTS TAKASHI! amazed that you didnt even got it relumed. my black steel's lume dot is all over the place and does not shine half as bright as yours. that looks so nice. awesome review thank you.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Thanks for the review and pics Takashi. I wonder if a skyland crystal would fit in my chrono avenger? Have you ever tried it?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I have tried from v1 Avenger Skyland to fit Chrono Avenger Ti. They are perfect fit.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if it would fit the v2 Avenger as well? May be worth ordering one to try it out. I take it that's the skyland crystal I'm your blue avenger?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Be careful, it may not fit. I tried the v2 Avenger crystal to put it on v1 Avenger. They are of different diameter.

I put it on another Avenger Ti. This blue Avenger Ti has Jakub's AR.

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
Nice summary taka...I've tried this in the AD in Sydney the other day...looks almost identical..I would never want to buy the gen version...waste of money ..seriously..I dont feel like the expensive gen while wearing it...I think I will buy the same like urs ..under the 300USD marks..:)